cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 'runtime' reads as notepad on PC

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
my pc is reading Oculus Runtime for Windows as notepad so I cant install it and I don't know what to do

even on my laptop it comes up as a .2_win[1] file not .exe
24 REPLIES 24

klasodeth
Honored Guest
Try downloading it again, making sure that you're downloading the Windows version of the runtime, not the Mac version. If the second copy still doesn't work, check the file extension and make sure it's .exe instead of .txt or .doc or whatever. If that still doesn't work, I'd recommend checking your system for viruses.

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
ya have d/l'd dozen times just tried my lappy it even comes up as a .2_win[1] file on it not a .exe file

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
does anyone have the file where it does read as .exe on their PC and have a link to where I can get it as they aint working off Oculus for me

Vylen
Honored Guest
Just add .exe to the end of the name.

mta
Honored Guest
Sounds like you have some antivirus software that renames downloaded executables

AT76
Honored Guest
First, make sure you're downloading it to a local hard drive, not to a shared folder.

Second, you could try renaming the extension. Select file, hit F2, delete whatever is after the . then type exe and hit enter.

klasodeth
Honored Guest
"SMOK3Y" wrote:
ya have d/l'd dozen times just tried my lappy it even comes up as a .2_win[1] file on it not a .exe file

Hmm... It sounds like you probably have file extensions hidden. Which version of Windows are you using?

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
you have to rename the file in a command line, as renaming in the win7 file explorer
does not work as the wacky file association is still present.

Vercci
Honored Guest
"Cgpnz" wrote:
you have to rename the file in a command line, as renaming in the win7 file explorer
does not work as the wacky file association is still present.

Or you turn off "Hide extension for known file types"
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete