New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• jpcaronjpcaron Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Truly Amazing!!!!!!! Keep up the good work! One of the best demo so far!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Nice work. Really shows how much potential there is for education with VR.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • browniebrownie Posts: 21
    Unfortunately it crashes my pc within about 30 seconds. Tried it several times but to no avail. A few artifacts appears and I have to hard reset.

Using gtx 680, i7, windows 7

Any ideas?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,847
    Neo
    brownie wrote:
    Unfortunately it crashes my pc within about 30 seconds. Tried it several times but to no avail. A few artifacts appears and I have to hard reset.

Using gtx 680, i7, windows 7

Any ideas?

First crash I've heard about actually! I'll send you a PM right now to ask for details. :)
  • TageraTagera Posts: 81
    It's gotten way better. Hardly any drift at all, the quick atmosphere knicking spin between Io and Jupiter is a real nice touch, and then the solar system getting dropped out into the actual orbital distances was very nice. I have yet to show off my Rift, but when I do this is going to be the first.
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    This demo really leaves you thinking...

Thanks a lot Drash, it was amazing.
  • This was great. I've always been a geek for space, but you had some info that I hadn't read about before. And seeing the sense of scale for large stars leaves quite an impact! I could imagine sitting down with a kid and having them go through it, asking questions. Educational and eye opening at the same time. Excellent work!
    Neo
    New version 1.3 released! Download links and additional info updated in first post and on website.

Changelog for v1.2 -> v1.3:
    1. Bugfix: Yaw drift correction is greatly improved, with visible feedback during the tour. (See Setup Notes in first post for more info.)
    2. Feature: The cockpit seat's headrest has been removed for improved visibility behind you.
    3. Feature: A new looping demo mode with auto-continue at each stop after small delay (use D key to toggle, demo loops around Solar System only).
    4. Feature: Supports translations / alternate text for nearly all text. (See Setup Notes in first post for info on how to create/use a translation or alternate text.)
    5. Feature: A motion intensity setting has been including for those craving more a motion-intense experience. By default this is "low", and "low" mode is the same as the flight path in v1.2 and earlier. (use M key to toggle)
    6. Feature: Custom soundtracks. Can replace the songs for the Solar System and Large Stars segments individually. Custom songs will be looped. Formats supported: Ogg, WAV, XM, IT, MOD, S3M. (See Setup Notes in first post for info on how to use your own music.)
    7. Feature: Can toggle soundtrack completely off, but sound effects will remain. (use S key to toggle. Note after being off, toggling back on does not take effect immediately)

I had several requests for translations into other languages. I already have a volunteer for translating into Spanish and I will post that translation when it becomes available, but if anyone else wants to translate (or provide alternate English text), please feel free to email me the new text file (as described in Setup Notes in first post), and I'll host on the website for others to use.

Thanks again for everyone's support and encouragement! :)
  • brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    I have a small feature request. A shorter demo would be nice to show people quickly - and I'm really impatient to get them to those big stars at the end. A couple of ideas for this

- Some sort of fast forward feature to move to a specific place in the playback OR
    - A no-moon toggle to speed up the first part (probably harder because you would need to redefine the flight path)

Anyway, I love the demo so much I just want to wow people with it.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Posts: 46
    I can't wait to get my rift and try this out. I fired it up for a minute and the texturing on the surface of Sol and Luna were both very well done. I'm sure it's a whole different beast with the rift on your face, though.
    Neo
    brantlew wrote:
    I have a small feature request. A shorter demo would be nice to show people quickly - and I'm really impatient to get them to those big stars at the end. A couple of ideas for this

- Some sort of fast forward feature to move to a specific place in the playback OR
    - A no-moon toggle to speed up the first part (probably harder because you would need to redefine the flight path)

Anyway, I love the demo so much I just want to wow people with it.

Thank you for that! :) I think there might already be a way to address your request -- if you want to skip ahead quickly, you can hit the TAB key at any tour stop to blitz along to the next one. Let me know if that works well enough for you.
  • hangunyhanguny Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Wow....this... Wow!! :shock:
    Two Thums UP!!
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    Thanks drash, this is great! Spanish translation in progress, I'll send it to you later today. My father will LOVE this.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • PinglesPingles Posts: 155
    Hiro Protagonist
    A second "Wow!" From me for your changes in the latest version.

You've addressed my main issue (a minor one) and given several improvements I hadn't expected.

Fantastic work!
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    So many little touches in this demo that I plan on stealing for my own work :)

I love the bits of dust and rock that float there giving a subtle feeling of 3D. Space Glider has fake "star streaks" to imply motion, but I think adding dark dust specks that move more slowly might add to the experience a lot.

I love the idea of showing things a million times smaller so you still get stereopsis even though the objects in real life are too big to get any stereopsis. In Space Glider, I have considered gradually increasing the distance between the eyes as you go out into space so that you retain a sense of 3D even though the scale has gone WAY up.

I also get the feeling that maybe Minneart shading is being used instead of Lambert, which is more accurate for planets (it is actually one of the earliest shading functions developed from observations of the moon).
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
    Neo
    jwilkins wrote:
    In Space Glider, I have considered gradually increasing the distance between the eyes as you go out into space so that you retain a sense of 3D even though the scale has gone WAY up.

Oh wow, great job on that. :o That sounds like a tricky technique to implement, but seems to be quite worth it from the video in your Space Glider thread!
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    jwilkins wrote:
    In Space Glider, I have considered gradually increasing the distance between the eyes as you go out into space so that you retain a sense of 3D even though the scale has gone WAY up.

Oh wow, great job on that. :o That sounds like a tricky technique to implement, but seems to be quite worth it from the video in your Space Glider thread!

Just to be clear, I haven't implemented that yet, I was just inspired by Titan's of Space.

It isn't that you don't have a sense of 3D in space, it is just that the distances are so big that 64mm of IPD just don't give any impression of depth from stereo, only from the relative motions. What is so great about Titans of Space is that things are small enough you feel like you could reach out and touch them, but they are still giant.

I think as I progress in Space Glider that the story will actually include the idea that the spaceship's interface is VR and that it enhances the pilots perceptions to make them more effective. That would let me get away with adding a lot of unreal, but cool, elements to the UI (like hyper-stereo).

(The IPD in Titans of Space is technically 64 kilometers :lol: )
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
    Neo
    jwilkins wrote:
    Just to be clear, I haven't implemented that yet, I was just inspired by Titan's of Space.

Oops, didn't see "considered"! In any case, this discussion has inspired me too. :mrgreen:
  • AthidiAthidi Posts: 5
    We were 3 persons who tried this last night.
    I have to say, it is amazing. Thank you so much for this. :)
    Art3mis
    I showed this to a friend today and although he had been saying is was planning to buy a quadrocopter after he gets a new job, now he says he is going to get an Oculus Rift :lol:
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • EmanuEmanu Posts: 89
    You should totally finish with a zoom-out to the entire galaxy and beyond , like the end of men in black, sans the marbles. or that power of ten, clip. That would be the final sanity-shattering blow.
  • MysticetiMysticeti Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Emanu wrote:
    You should totally finish with a zoom-out to the entire galaxy and beyond , like the end of men in black, sans the marbles. or that power of ten, clip. That would be the final sanity-shattering blow.

Or the opening scene from the movie Contact.
    Neo
    Small update released (v1.32). Download links in first post have been updated.

Changelog for v1.3 -> v1.32:
    1. Small changes to make Titans of Space completely translatable.
    2. Experimental Feature: IPD trickery mode. Use the I key to toggle. Best used in "high" motion intensity mode. When this is on, flying close to planets or moons will cause them to appear larger than you thought they were. This feature is undocumented inside Titans of Space, but you will know it is off if you see a red light on the lower left of the indicator light area. Once it is on, it varies from black to light blue depending on how close you are to a planet or moon.

The red light mentioned above is shown here:
    indicator-lightsV1.32.jpg
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    IPD trickery mode

At first I was a little annoyed that I'm so slow that you implemented this first, but then I realized it is kind of nice if I can get somebody else to test out an idea when I'm too busy to get to it myself :)
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
    Neo
    jwilkins wrote:
    drash wrote:
    IPD trickery mode

At first I was a little annoyed that I'm so slow that you implemented this first, but then I realized it is kind of nice if I can get somebody else to test out an idea when I'm too busy to get to it myself :)

i'm sorry, I couldn't help myself! :oops: But, I'm quite certain my implementation of it is nowhere near what it could be. I thought about adjusting the scale too, but that's a can of worms at thIs point.
    Neo
    Emanu wrote:
    Mysticeti wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion and videoclip! Amazing stuff.
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    jwilkins wrote:
    drash wrote:
    IPD trickery mode

i'm sorry, I couldn't help myself! :oops: But, I'm quite certain my implementation of it is nowhere near what it could be. I thought about adjusting the scale too, but that's a can of worms at thIs point.

It was just something I've had in mind for a couple of weeks but I kept thinking it would be too "fake" to work properly, but after experiencing your awesome presentation, that was the push I needed to actually think variable IPD might actually make things more real than real. I think the scaling down of sizes by .000001 is actually more educational than showing the planets at their real size because it brings things down to our everyday experience.

We are overawed by the size of a mountain, so why not make the sun the size of a mountain since we cannot really comprehend its real size. It works.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • geekmastergeekmaster Posts: 2,866
    Nexus 6
    jwilkins wrote:
    ... We are overawed by the size of a mountain, so why not make the sun the size of a mountain since we cannot really comprehend its real size. It works.
    "Bikeshedding" on an astronomical scale, eh? :lol:

Twice in less than a day, no less!
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1629&p=19883&hilit=bike%20shed#p19883

Epic win! ;)
    Neo
    Man, I think I learn something new every time geekmaster makes a post! :)

In any case, I'm happy to announce that LordJuanlo and those at realovirtual.com have provided a full Spanish translation for Titans of Space. The download link can be found here.

Thank you Juanlo!
  • MY64kMY64k Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My OR works with the Tuscany demo, but not Titans of Space.

Running in full screen mode, I get sound but just a black screen.

Running Windows 8 - 64bit.

I Have an Nvidia Geforce GT-520

Cheers.