cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus 'runtime' reads as notepad on PC

SMOK3Y
Honored Guest
my pc is reading Oculus Runtime for Windows as notepad so I cant install it and I don't know what to do

even on my laptop it comes up as a .2_win[1] file not .exe
24 REPLIES 24

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
So IE renaming off the .exe as a means of attempting better security. HeHe.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
"Cgpnz" wrote:
So IE renaming off the .exe as a means of attempting better security. HeHe.

Absolutely true.

And by their own hand an admission (though this is about Outlook): http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/blocked-attachments-in-outlook-HA102749484.aspx

To help protect your computer, Microsoft Outlook 2013 doesn’t allow you to receive files of certain types (such as .exe files) as attachments, because of their potential for introducing a virus into your computer. By default, Outlook blocks these files. See the section Attachment file types blocked in Outlook for a list of the file types blocked.

As for Internet Explorer, in just a quick search I was only able to find non-Microsoft discussions and instructions on how to defeat the protection. Basically you just go into IE's security settings and tell it you don't care what it does. So from one extreme to the other. Nanny state to letting IE run wild and expose your system to whatever it finds on the internet. Prude to, well, you get the idea.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
Reminds we of something about sit-down VR.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This is a bug with Internet Explorer. You can use Firefox or Chrome, and they should work fine.

Or you can just add the ".exe" to the end of the filename.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
This is a bug with Internet Explorer.

No it is how MicroSoft implements security, in an attempt to fool the user as to where the hell did my download go.
And oh that must not have been an exe, I cannot click on it.