cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Customs Issues - Incorrect Labelling

aidangibson
Honored Guest
:oops: :evil:

Sad to say it, but my Oculus Rift issues continue. Here in New Zealand i've fortunately been chasing up my Rift for awhile now going in circles with AusPost, NZPost and New Zealand customs. Finally got a straight answer and unfortunately not only has my Rift been held for clearance by customs, it's now under investigation. -.-

It appears Oculus decided to circumvent customs through providing incorrect details with the import, labelled at $325 AUD compared to the $390 is should be listed at. I was fully prepared to pay the duties to customs, but i'm now locked into a circular battle trying to find a way to justify the price.

Not being able to fast track the process now, i'm here with no Rift and still a looming customs fee... and potentially further investigation.

Cybereality, if you come across this, please advise, you've been very good in getting us the information needed, but with all the delays and now this perceived circumvention of customs is just unbearably frustrating.
56 REPLIES 56

aidangibson
Honored Guest
Out of interest, do we know others in the community having this issue?
I would have thought it might have been widespread, but as yet i'm yet to see many people with the issue.

I was also wondering whether cybereality had a chance to review this issue? I have lodged a support ticket, but information still isn't very forthcoming.

JoshNZ
Honored Guest
"Vercci" wrote:
"aidangibson" wrote:
What's your status when you track it on AusPost / NZ Post? Mine was held for clearance when i went searching for it. It can be in the country awhile, but wait for that particular status i think.

In transit, so I guess I've got to wait.

If you go to the NZ Post website you can use your AusPost tracking number to get more details as to exactly what's happening, that's how I found out that mine is "Held for Clearance" as the AusPost website just says In Transit - Arrived at Auckland Facility.

Josh..

Vercci
Honored Guest
"JoshNZ" wrote:
"Vercci" wrote:
"aidangibson" wrote:
What's your status when you track it on AusPost / NZ Post? Mine was held for clearance when i went searching for it. It can be in the country awhile, but wait for that particular status i think.

In transit, so I guess I've got to wait.

If you go to the NZ Post website you can use your AusPost tracking number to get more details as to exactly what's happening, that's how I found out that mine is "Held for Clearance" as the AusPost website just says In Transit - Arrived at Auckland Facility.

Josh..

You are a fucking legend. Held for Clearance on NZ Post.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
I wonder if NZ customs does goods seisure on imports that violate the customs act.
Giving the wrong price (a price they know) to avoid the $60 threshold would fit that.
Having forked out $110 nzd I have absolutely no sympathy to you.

Vercci
Honored Guest
"Cgpnz" wrote:
I wonder if NZ customs does goods seisure on imports that violate the customs act.
Giving the wrong price (a price they know) to avoid the $60 threshold would fit that.
Having forked out $110 nzd I have absolutely no sympathy to you.

Who is that directed to?
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

DonkyBoY
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
» Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:02 pm
Let me see what I can find out.

Well did you find anything out or what ?
Oculus CV1 room scale with 3 tracker's
i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz with delid and Liquid metal ultra +Corsair H110i / MSI GTX1080Ti Sea Hawk / 32GB DDR3 @2400Mhz
(All rads running EK Furious Vardar F4 / F5 fans)
Sandisk Extreme for OS and Kingston SSD Now for games
Steam = http://steamcommunity.com/id/xgsdonkyboy
TS3 server = xgs.ts3.nz

lorenfel
Honored Guest
What value have they declared for freight - not relevant to duty but it appears to be part of your GST/ IETF calculations.

Using the online NZ customs calculator that seems to suggest that the $25 difference is only worth $4.60 in duty if freight is included - but without freight included is the difference between paying nothing and paying ~$125.

Is there a reason why they didn't have to include freight?

Note - I don't have this problem as I am Australian.

lorenfel
Honored Guest
Slight correction - there's 0 duty - its all IETF and GST - sorry.

Cgpnz
Honored Guest
whatsmyduty.org.nz

goods go under the 'computer' category that covers any stuff that plug into/on a computer if not under
special peripheral items.

The price is simple 350+70usd. I don't know how you can wrangle any other figure.

To go under 330 aussie dollars you would have had to get 0 shipping cost.
Given 1 aud = 0.886 usd this is not even close.

lorenfel
Honored Guest
If customs determine there has been an error resulting in avoidance or shortfall in the GST due - the standard penalty is $200 per item (over and above the $124 GST).

If it were to be found to be a deliberate attempt to avoid paying GST the current maximum penalty is $50K - presumably this would not be applied per item.

It appears any error would be deemed the responsibility of the exporter but it is unclear whether you (the importer) will be allowed to pay the correct GST and receive the item whilst customs deals with Oculus over the issue of penalties.