DK2 Customs Issues - Incorrect Labelling - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DK2 Customs Issues - Incorrect Labelling

2»

Comments

• Vercci wrote:
    JoshNZ wrote:
    If you go to the NZ Post website you can use your AusPost tracking number to get more details as to exactly what's happening, that's how I found out that mine is "Held for Clearance" as the AusPost website just says In Transit - Arrived at Auckland Facility.

Josh..
    You are a fucking legend. Held for Clearance on NZ Post.

No problem :)
    I spoke to a helpful person from NZ post who said that I just needed to e-mail a copy of the invoice to mail@customs.govt.nz and they should then release the package to NZ Post for delivery. Only trick is I don't have an invoice for $325AUD as stated in the paperwork. I currently have a ticket lodged with Oculus to see if I can get one. My concern is that if I send through documentation that doesn't match what is on the shipping docs supplied by the freight comapny out of Oz then it's just going to get even messier. Will keep you posted and good luck to us all.
    J..

p.s. I guess this is a small price to pay for living in the best country in the world ;)
  • CgpnzCgpnz Posts: 455
    edited September 2014
    Yes it will get nastier for you, your actions are evidence of fraud.
    The fact that you did not immediately give the true price convicts you.
    What the hell is 'a ticket lodged to get one with Oculus' mean.
    Do you seriously think customs do not know the online price?
  • lorenfellorenfel Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    It means they have a support ticket lodged with Oculus to see if Oculus will supply them with an appropriate invoice.

I suspect this will take a little sorting out. But I don't think the customer has done anything wrong - there is no visibility to the customer of any of the customs valuation information - it is all filled out by Oculus or (most likely) their shipper in Australia (or possibly China). They will most likely to be the ones who will need to discuss the issues with customs. The importer is just a little bit hostage to these events. If it were just the freight or just the valuation it could probably be sorted fairly easily but the combination and the resultant avoidance of GST liability means its a fairly ticklish situation.
    lorenfel wrote:
    But I don't think the customer has done anything wrong - there is no visibility to the customer of any of the customs valuation information

I wonder if custom are playing a game here. They will have good database system where they can type in 'DK2'
    and get all the information required. The game is letting the customer have enough rope to...

I would assume that the law leans toward those they can prosecute.
  • I'm willing to pay GST (there is no duty as has been pointed out many times) on the item, I just need to get my hands on an invoice which I can then send to Customs so they can process. I'm not sure why the Oz logistics company is declaring the value at $325AUD, it's not something I've had any input into so I don't think I could be accused of fraud and get into trouble, my assumption is that the liability is with the company who fills out the declaration, not the person who the package is addressed to.
    Anyhow I'll see how I get on once I have something to send customs.
    Peace out.
    J..
  • Wow, I'm hoping I don't run into these issues myself as a fellow New Zealander.

I paid via Paypal, you can only imagine how hard thats going to be to prove via bank statement lol.
    CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )
  • Well, more evidence that our mail system is laughable at best. I just received a fastpost envelope from Last Thursday a few minutes ago.

I've called through and confirmed yeah, they need an invoice. I've just sent them all the proof of payments on my end, noting that I've seen the declaration discrepancy and I don't support it. We'll see how well it goes for me soonish.
    NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT
  • I've jumped the gun and asked for my invoice ahead of time, its not even out of processing yet but I don't want any complications, NZ post love to "lose things" and no doubt it will go missing.
    CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )
  • Woah, guys - I know it's an issue, but some of you are getting slightly too aggressive over the issue.
    It doesn't appear anyone's truly complaining about paying the duties, the complaints are re: having a totally avoidable delay and then at the people slipping through the system.

There should be no luck of the draw about it, they should all be equal, hence the complaints.

Re: the paypal proof of payment, you can potentially screenshot and crop the (non-deposit) Oculus payment details on the orders page and use that as evidence. I used both that and a bank statement, but they implied the invoice on Oculus' system would suffice.

My original ticket has been put through to the logistics team and they're presumably dealing with the issue. Hopefully i hear back however and it doesn't just disappear into the realm of closed support tickets.
    Don't be a pain about things, it's not worth the hassle -.-
  • Success! I've received a entry number from customs. I'll be able to pay it in a couple hours or tomorrow when their automatic system updates.

I've basically thrown Oculus under the bus when it came to the declaration. I did not ask for the declared price to be lower and I didn't want to risk any problems whatsoever when it came to this.

This is what sent to them
    I have a package being held by customs. I was told to ask you guys to do the tax for me, as this is a private (non-commercial) package.

Notice Number: pls
    NZPost Tracking Number: pls no

I've noticed that the declared value on my parcel doesn't match up. I was not made aware of this declaration until today, and I hope it doesn't cause any issues. On my end I paid omg for the item + shipping.

Attached is a screenshot of my online statement regarding the amount I paid for the package.
    I don't know if I have an official "Invoice".What follows is the email I received when I ordered my DK2 Package.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to hurry this along. My mobile number is omg no, or I can respond via email.

I had attached a screenshot of one of my (online) bank statements with the Oculus payment highlighted. I had also started the message by forwarding the email I got immediately after paying for my DK2, adding my earlier message to it. The pre-order confirmation email stated the $75 USD Shipping and $350 USD Rift cost, which I'm guessing was acceptable as a invoice.

This is part of the message I got from them.
    Please find attached on page 1 of 4 a copy of the Customs invoice which covers the Customs charges payable on this parcel.

On pages 2 and 3 you will find information on how you can undertake payment on your parcel(s) and page 4 contains Fact Sheet 28 which provides information on importing goods in to NZ.

Once full payment has been received, Customs will issue a Delivery Order to NZ Post authorising the release and delivery of your package.

All I need is for the system to update, or I'll just go to the Airport tomorrow and pay in person and then IT BEGINS

AGAIN
  • whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is the thanks they get for trying to help you out? If correct price was disclosed there was going to be this delay anyway... they tried to circumvent it for you. There is plenty to be upset at times regarding Oculus and shipping but I wouldn't have thought this would be one of them.
  • whalan84 wrote:
    This is the thanks they get for trying to help you out? If correct price was disclosed there was going to be this delay anyway... they tried to circumvent it for you. There is plenty to be upset at times regarding Oculus and shipping but I wouldn't have thought this would be one of them.
    And if I had knowingly lied to customs, I would have had at least an extra penalty placed on top of my purchase, and at worst criminal charges with the Rift being seized.

If they had contacted me before doing this, I could have told them "No, put on the honest price. This is not worth screwing around with customs".

As it stands, this was done
    1) Without my permission
    2) Without knowing they had done so

If no one had noticed, and then customs had found out down the line, I would have been fucked. By extension, the people who did this without alerting me can get fucked to the exact degree I could have been.
  • whalan84whalan84 Posts: 119
    Hiro Protagonist
    Vercci wrote:
    whalan84 wrote:
    And if I had knowingly lied to customs, I would have had at least an extra penalty placed on top of my purchase, and at worst criminal charges with the Rift being seized.

If they had contacted me before doing this, I could have told them "No, put on the honest price. This is not worth screwing around with customs".

As it stands, this was done
    1) Without my permission
    2) Without knowing they had done so

If no one had noticed, and then customs had found out down the line, I would have been fucked. By extension, the people who did this without alerting me can get fucked to the exact degree I could have been.

It was never going to come back on you in a legal sense. Even if Oculus contacted you and said "hey we are going to save you $110 and we will be getting the Rift to you a week earlier" I have a feeling 99% of people would have said thats a no brainer go for it. I know I seen a lot of pleasantly surprised NZers post on here when they snuck through. I don't see any of them here crying foul play.
  • whalan84 wrote:
    It was never going to come back on you in a legal sense. Even if Oculus contacted you and said "hey we are going to save you $110 and we will be getting the Rift to you a week earlier" I have a feeling 99% of people would have said thats a no brainer go for it. I know I seen a lot of pleasantly surprised NZers post on here when they snuck through. I don't see any of them here crying foul play.
    There's lots of people who speed on our roads. Just because not everyone gets caught doesn't mean I want to risk a speeding ticket.

If they want to dance around the law and risk legal charges, good for them. I don't want to. I'm aware that others managed to get it without paying their GST. I still didn't want to risk any legal issues at all, and would have still told them to just put the correct declaration down.

If something happens and any retroactive action comes out of this situation, I'm going to be completely safe from it now. If not I'm only down < $200.
    Wow OVR has a import document falsification service.
  • NZ Customs' payment service updated and my entry number was valid. I've paid my charges, so it should be released shortly.
  • Vercci wrote:
    NZ Customs' payment service updated and my entry number was valid. I've paid my charges, so it should be released shortly.
    Great news Vercci, can I ask what you ended up paying in charges? I've done a screen print of my OVR order which I'm hoping will give them the details they need as I've had nothing back from my invoice request.
    Cheers,
    J..
  • PM'ed.

Also

Released for delivery 26/09/14 12:24
  • whalan84 wrote:

What misinformed nonsense - Companies have no place breaking the law and circumventing these things.
    The delay for me, having no sources to fall back on was longer than for others. It was a time consuming runaround through the bureaucracy of customs trying to get a proper answer from them. Fortunately, people in this situation now have some information here on the forums. What are you implying however? That we're in some way privileged in wanting things done officially?

Firstly, the liability is transferred to us on payment and acceptance of our goods for the undertakings of OVR on this:
    http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1996/0027/latest/DLM378691.html?search=sw_096be8ed80eb7133_import_25_se&p=1

Second, none of us want to be stung with an additional $200 http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1996/0027/latest/DLM4415847.html?search=sw_096be8ed80eb7133_import_25_se&p=1

The hones is now on OVR to explain what happened here, because if it was done on purpose, it constitutes a breach of trust and makes us as the importer culpable for any penalties they incur through their actions.
  • Vercci wrote:
    Released for delivery 26/09/14 12:24

Glad to hear it :) - tomorrow morning for delivery if you're lucky now
  • It arrived a while ago. I've set up the savvies and I'm in the middle of choosing what pants I'm going to sacrifice to make that guy's "t shirt mod"
  • JoshNZJoshNZ Posts: 8
    So I've has some success, I gave up waiting for some sort of official invoice from Oculus and just PDF printed my order page from the website (it shows all the c/card payments etc) and emailed that through to NZ customs along with the NZ Post notice number saying that I didn't know what the $325AUD was all about and that hopefully the info I attached would be enough for them to work out my GST etc.
    What do you know within an hour they had replied with the entry number and the calculated extra GST and fees >$120 I needed to pay. Paid online and with a little luck I should get my DK2 this week.

My advice, as soon at you get a letter from NZ Post with a notice number take a grab of your order details from OVR website and email Customs, its actually very quick from that point on, but it will cost you ~$120 or more.
    Happy rifting everyone.
    J..
  • Glad to hear it Josh. I'm still a bit perplexed why we haven't heard back from anyone yet, particularly as i had an official support ticket. So much for transparency :/

You must have received it by now, so i hope it's as great as expected :)
  • JoshNZJoshNZ Posts: 8
    Oh I did eventually get a response to my support ticket (after my rift was sitting on my desk) saying that they cannot issue invoices in specific currency's but here were my USD invoices.
    To get my rift all I did was pdf print my order info from the OR website and customs were happy with that (after charging me >$120).
    Yep it's going well when I have time to use it. My grand ideas of spending more development time have been put on the back burner as my day job company was acquired by the competition and things have gotten very busy :)

Happy rifting everyone!
  • michealvmichealv Posts: 307
    Sucks you got pinged for GST