New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Going back to school- related to oculus.

Rishi851Rishi851 Posts: 78
edited September 2014 in General
Hey,
I am thinking of going back to school for a year or two. Are there any programs which I'd like to take if I want to be involved as a developer and make virtual reality stuff- what you guys are.
See, I am an inkling that VR will be huge. I intend to exploit the virtues of this technology in my home country where it might not just make me rich, but I could use it to help society. I just have a vague vision. Like creating documentaries of history where one can walk around in the ancient era, or just education. In my home country, where tech knowledge is low to non existent I know people will be mind blown. Heck, I am sure people will be mind blown here, come October 2015.

So what I am asking is....I don't know anything about technology or gaming or programming. I have a history in cinema and anthropology. Could I make stuff you people are making.....by going to school? As in I will give it my 100 percent. As a much older man now I realize the importance of networking and time. This is about my future.

So what do you guys suggest? A diploma in gaming or programming or what?

Comments

• NyroNyro Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I think the best program to learn right now to work with the Oculus is Unity3D. There are a lot of tutorials on the internet that can help you out and the community is great. I don't know about your country, but in mine (Brazil) there are actually no real schools to learn how to make games that well. With Unity you can make nice looking things with little programing skills. You would need to know how to make 3D Models , I suggest the Maya or 3dsMax but Blender and SketchUp are nice and free. You can also get your models and textures from all over the internet. http://archive3d.net/ and http://www.turbosquid.com/ are good places to start looking. With the new Unity3D 4.6 the hud is much simpler to make with almost no programing skills involved.

If you have any questions just ask.
    Sorry for my english, it's not my native language and is getting kinda rusty. XD
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    Unless you're going to a renown school like Full Sail University, my recommendation is don't. I'm still paying on school loans from 10 years ago, w/o a job in my chosen profession (which I could have gotten this job w/o school).
  • You don't need to go to school for it. Save the money, stay at home, and pick up some Unity Tutorials. And stick with it. Nothing worth doing comes easy.