cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost as to what I should do, get oculus or wait? I am a dev.

codejoy
Honored Guest
I have an oppertunity to order a oculus dk2. Not sure if I should wait.

A) I think it would be a while before id see it even
b) Is the consumer model going to be cheaper? and vastly improved?
c) I am a unity developer but currently oculus requires full version unity to work, is there any way this will change in the future?

Thanks for the input to help make a decision...

Shane
22 REPLIES 22

drash
Heroic Explorer
A) Not sure how long the wait is to receive a DK2 order now.

B) Not sure how much the consumer model will cost, but it will very certainly be a vast improvement over DK2 (just based on the new feature prototype that Oculus unveiled last weekend). DK2 is already mindblowing, though. 🙂

C) Also announced last weekend is that Oculus has partnered with Unity to introduce an Oculus Rift build target which means you'll be able to develop for the Rift in both Unity free and Unity Pro, for free. I believe Unity has said to stay tuned for concrete info regarding this soon (days/weeks).
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

codejoy
Honored Guest
wow that unity stuff is great news thank you, I missed that in the flurry of news on all things gaming.

You have Dk2? IS there issues with ati cards? Man this tempts me, its between this or buying a ps4/or xbox one. But i did see the new announcement one, looks like earphones and I am still researching what is new in the latest announced version (dk3? dk2.5?)

Vercci
Honored Guest
Getting a DK2 now will let you develop something that you'll be able to sell on day 1 when the consumer version hits.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

cyriltra
Honored Guest
A) New order should be shipped in 6 to 8 weeks, according to Cybereality => this is valid if you are living in US and probably Europe as well.
If you live elsewhere it may be much longer so consider it for your project.
DK2 ordered: June 19th, 2014 Received: Oct 10th, 2014 Location: China

codejoy
Honored Guest
oh I am a one man show...I don't think i could have anything quality wise...I just want to see the potential and develop demos for it. And of course have a cool new toy. I just wish I could gauge how far from the consumer version dk2 is going to be.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"codejoy" wrote:
oh I am a one man show...I don't think i could have anything quality wise...I just want to see the potential and develop demos for it. And of course have a cool new toy. I just wish I could gauge how far from the consumer version dk2 is going to be.

Quality wise, CV1 will be night and day compared to DK2, CB already is vastly improved. On spec alone let alone design, features and ergonomics. If you absolutely do NOT need to develop now (to get a good 6+ months of work in before CV1) then simply don't buy it. Unless you don't mind paying twice when CV1 comes out.

As for time, Brendan said at least 6-8 months from now for anything sell-able based on CB which I guess means you can take that 6-8 months add on another 2 for good measure and there's your CV1.

So development aside, can you spare a couple hundred dollars to get maybe 8-10 months use out of DK2? is it worth it to you? Only you can answer that.

And there IS NO DK3 or 2.5!! There will be CV1 next, whenever that is. If you are wishing to develop and are taking it seriously and want to have stuff out there for CV1 launch then yes you need a Dk2. If not then you don't. The fact you are doing an either/or with a PS4 shows me you are wanting it mainly for 'fun' and games, and again only you know what will bring more fun at this point. For me it's no contest (even if I wasn't developing) a DK2 rift is far more fascinating and exciting, even running dodgy demos and limited stuff that's out there! Drash up further who answered you has made buying a Dk2 a much better experience thanks to his "Titans of Space" software which is literally jaw dropping. I would never have had that experience on a PS4. I have 2 ps3s and will eventually get a PS4 but it needs more software yet (bit like the rift) so I can't see the rush to buy that either.

You can keep the XBone. ugh.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

codejoy
Honored Guest
Well the developing is definitely the main thing, so getting it now is tempting. I wonder if all who are developing and have a DK2 are going to purchase the release one when it comes out (spending twice). I think the biggest thing is yah no rush, cause i have nothing in the works that would be of commercial quality that would even be out or have to be out or could be out on any day they choose to release the production one.

Oh but the thing tempts me. Mostly after I read the review of it using Elite wow.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
As a VR nut and having waited half the years I've been on this planet (40) I will be buying CV1 (not just as a dev, I wanna play too). I will also buy CV2/3 etc if they are big improvements, which I hope and expect they will be as VR is in it's infancy it should get better and better with each year!

TBH If I wasn't working on software I would probably have waited for CV1 even if it's next Xmas, unless I had £300 just sitting around doing nothing. VR as cool as it is now, would obviously have blown me away even more come CV1 as my first experience. That's something DK2/DK1 users can't ever buy back, so if in doubt... leave it and look forward to the full polished HMD with all that amazing software that should be out there by then!

It's a £300 fix you are looking at, and may be short lived if you are relying on the software that's out there now - but the price of admission (twice cos early in) to me is worth it as it's a fascinating journey to be on as early as possible and learning more as I go about what works or not in VR.

I wasn't sold on the DK1 as a full product but have no regrets buying DK2, but if it had only been to play the limited software that's out there now I may have thought twice. I currently have no software (other than my own) that compells me to fire up the rift. I haven't bought ED beta as I want to wait for the full/polished game to 'hit me' then (in CV1 I hope) rather than now, even if I have to wait way after the release of the game for CV1. Titans of space was beautiful, something I'll not forget soon, but experiences like that are thin on the ground. The VAST majority of 'demos' out there are really not amazing, or even close imo, and yet you can see VR is amazing - it's not the fault of the rift, the software just isn't there yet.
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

Kel
Explorer
I am happy with my DK2 personally. It gives me a chance to get my foot in the door in terms of development prior to the consumer version release.

Really up to you in the end. I would say "sure.. order a dk2". But that's just me. 😉