cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost as to what I should do, get oculus or wait? I am a dev.

codejoy
Honored Guest
I have an oppertunity to order a oculus dk2. Not sure if I should wait.

A) I think it would be a while before id see it even
b) Is the consumer model going to be cheaper? and vastly improved?
c) I am a unity developer but currently oculus requires full version unity to work, is there any way this will change in the future?

Thanks for the input to help make a decision...

Shane
22 REPLIES 22

codejoy
Honored Guest
I was going to ask, or ponder. Is the CV1 going to be as much as the DK2? more? or less? maybe? I haven't heard any scuttlebutt on that yet (but new to the scene)

Kel
Explorer
"codejoy" wrote:
I was going to ask, or ponder. Is the CV1 going to be as much as the DK2? more? or less? maybe? I haven't heard any scuttlebutt on that yet (but new to the scene)

It will likely be around the same price point as the DK2 if not a little more. But that is only speculation based on what they have said in various interviews. They want to continue selling them at cost as they are doing with the DK2.

AntDX316
Honored Guest
its at 0.4.2

it can be firmware upgradeable which means they can release an awesome update to make it even better and plug n play with everything

basically there is room for potential but as of now it's pretty bad and not worth it

Luciferous
Consultant
The DK2 came as bolt from the blue as did facebook, so although very unlikely I wouldn't rule out a DK3. Always expect the unexpected from Oculus.

Personally I couldn't wait and I'm just an enthusiast. The CV1 will be far superior by the looks of the latest prototype.

Oneiros
Honored Guest
CV1 will be $200-$400 from what I've read. I'm definitely going to pre order one because its going to be so much better than dk2 and I'm a VR fan. For developing only you could probably wait, it's a personal thing. Based on their releases so far, I think it's unlikely the release date will be pushed back much.

I guess it comes down to whether you can afford it and how badly you want it 😄

z6
Explorer
Of course, you can develop now and test later.

But bear in mind that the experience of wearing it on your bonce sooner, rather than later, will provide a 'new dimension' that simply building and running in 3d, but on 2D media, cannot provide.

The act of creating 'point of view' seems crucial and could end up being the difference.

It's always a gamble (buy on Tuesday cv1 announced Wednesday, for example).

Samsung Gear vr is cv1 as far as I'm concerned. I'm shitting it in case my lush ue4 creations cannot be 'properly' optimized (by me, or fundamentally, I don't know yet). ( grrrrrr damn you ue4 for being so seductive)

I'm getting one of those phone plans where they bung you a phone if you should, for example, accidenally fry it. (I plan to have a fry-up as soon as it arrives. I need to know what it takes to make it explode.

You should see the ridiculous rationalizations I create to convince myself, more importantly, my wife, that big bucks on a decent development environment makes perfect sense.

The reality is that I've worked in software for years for big companies, but never games, (I am not a gamer), and with software so shit you would think me a liar if I divulged how truly awful it was compared to the ludicrous development costs.

Ue4 is magic. The reason I use it is because it was love at first sight. Games engines are a marvel.

Even being able to produce usable output, much less in immersive 3d, reminds me why I spend too much on whimsy.

I'm a big kid. Always was and ever shall be.

And you are too. Buy it man. And come here and cuss em out when it gets hard.

(Or be sensible.)

These people listen. (Not used to that at all.)

Paul33993
Honored Guest
If you're serious about developing for VR, you really need a DK.

If you don't get one, follow the Oculus Best Practices guidelines like they're written in stone.

It's easy to make a lot of assumptions about what would work great in VR, and those assumptions completely crumble after about 5 minutes. That's a huge benefit of having a unit. You quickly realize what are horrible ideas and what would work really well. Traditional cockpit games translate great to VR. Everything else? That's going to require trial and error to see what's most comfortable and best utilizes the tech of VR.

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Just a point regarding XBox vs PS4 - Sony is working on Morpheus for the PS4. Reports are that it is good but it won't be the same experience as DK2 or CV1. Lots of info on the web. There have only been some very faint rumours about Microsoft doing anything in VR with XBox but you never know. That would push me to PS4 if I had no other considerations.

But DK2 does have some great stuff out there. I agree completely on Titans. It's amazing but it won't hold your attention for months on its own. And I agree that there are plenty of fun to try experiences but most don't have the repeat play legs. But one thing about all the stuff out there is it will expose you to lots of ideas and techniques. They are great for learning what is good, great, or best avoided if you are considering development. Also, there is a lot to learn with this. There are lots of computer performance considerations, etc, and DK2 brings you that joy and roller coaster all the sooner but it will give lots of insight into where to go and what you will need as CV1 approaches and video card optimizations firm up.

And if you are interested in racing or flight sims, there are two great ones out there now - Live For Speed and Digital Combat Simulator with more on the way. Plus, if you ordered now, you still won't get DK2 for six to eight weeks and a lot can happen in that time just for availabilty of more apps and support. But it also pushes you that much closer to when CV1 comes available.

Can't tell you what to do but getting a DK2 gets you on this train and a wealth of experience if you want to develop or just play. If you go console strictly for fun, the PS4 will likely get Morpheus though Sony has not 100% committed that I've seen.
But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock:

AT76
Honored Guest
"luciferous" wrote:
although very unlikely I wouldn't rule out a DK3. Always expect the unexpected from Oculus.

True enough, although they have explicitly publicly stated that there will not be a DK3.

bar10dr
Honored Guest
DK2 has a lot of problems to be honest, if you're not willing to deal with a lot of potential hassles I'd wait.

If you don't mind changing your computer hardware and stuff like that to make it work, go for it!