Question about latest firmware — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Question about latest firmware

VercciVercci Posts: 85
edited October 2014 in General
I've seen a few topics related to this recently, but they've all been slanted toward helping the OP instead of telling me what I need.

My DK2 should be here in a matter of hours. Is the latest firmware (I believe it's 0.4.2) actually stable and not going to brick my DK2? Or should I use an older version until it gets fixed, and if so which one.

[edit]Seems I mixed up the version numbers.. Still, is v2.12 safe for the Rift or should I downgrade.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT

Comments

• erickerick Posts: 125
    Brain Burst
    It isn't the firmware that might brick a device, it's the write process. Though, most devices these days have a backup.

That said, I've never had an issue with the update process but I'll try to pass along what I've noticed. I think I've only seen one person claim that their device was bricked. Most people appear to simply have a problem getting the update process to work.

If the update fails, I can't say for sure what safeguards Oculus have in place. Although, from talking to the person reporting his device was bricked, it did at least sound like the device could boot into the firmware update mode. So, I suspect they have some sort of recovery procedure if the update fails.

You may want to contact Oculus support to ask if they have a recovery process.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The Rift is pretty fault-tolerant in terms of failed flashes. We do tests where we literally pull the USB cable mid-flash and it recovers. I wouldn't be worried.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Mine got screwed after 2.12 update, but support reports to be a software issue which will be fixed soon. :) I'm gonna get another one (used) for my brother, which is working in 2.10 allright. I'm wondering if it is safe to update to 2.11, as 2.12 is the one that I keep hearing issues with.