cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily.

Zebrastealer
Honored Guest
I have had my DK2 kit for less than a day and only used the supplied Oculus microfiber cloth to clean the lenses. I had the DK1 for a year and never got a scratch on the lens. This afternoon I thought the lenses seemed dirty, upon closer inspection I was shocked to find the lenses had swirl scratches all over both of them. This is very disappointing and unless I got a bad pair of lenses it is going to be a problem with all the DK2 lenses, no matter how careful people are with them.

Picture of scratches: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kW5dpki9eMMkN4d1c4UDdOYXc/edit?usp=sharing

I have also posted this on Reddit: http://redd.it/2cdoaz

My advice, please do your best to be extra cautious with your own lenses, they will get scratched but maybe if you are super careful they'll last a little longer. Oculus, you need to come up with a solution for these lenses, they are not durable enough, not for a development kit, and certainly not for a consumer model.
542 REPLIES 542

bar10dr
Honored Guest
How easy does the protective film get scratched? As in how often do you have to change the protective film?

Is it hard to get off once you put it on?

1karl1
Honored Guest
"bar10dr" wrote:
How easy does the protective film get scratched? As in how often do you have to change the protective film?

Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13601 i've still got the same protectors on mine and they're still like the day i put them on there . Brilliant value for money .

bar10dr
Honored Guest
"1karl1" wrote:
"bar10dr" wrote:

Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13601 i've still got the same protectors on mine and they're still like the day i put them on there . Brilliant value for money .

Thanks! I ordered a pack.

I ordered these though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

Hopefully they will be just as good

RevEm
Honored Guest
Hi DaftnDirect, thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. I have been away with not Internet.
As for applying the protectors I will be,
Running a warm shower for 10 minutes to remove most dust and airborne particles.
turn off shower and allow 10 minutes or so to allow the humidity in the room to drop.
then applying the protectors. Entering and exiting the room in whatever way to minimise any contamination.

Maybe overkill. But, I don't want any dust behind the protector that can damage the lenses.

klasodeth
Honored Guest
For anyone who orders the Savvies from Amazon UK, be aware that they'll probably ship in an ordinary letter envelope. Mine apparently shipped directly from Germany, and I assumed the letter was junk mail at first.

Vercci
Honored Guest
"klasodeth" wrote:
For anyone who orders the Savvies from Amazon UK, be aware that they'll probably ship in an ordinary letter envelope. Mine apparently shipped directly from Germany, and I assumed the letter was junk mail at first.

They also repurpose the savvies container for a regular phone protector.

It'd be a good idea to get more than 1 pack if you're a little OCD like me. Gives you plenty of room for mistakes.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

klasodeth
Honored Guest
"Vercci" wrote:
It'd be a good idea to get more than 1 pack if you're a little OCD like me. Gives you plenty of room for mistakes.

I bought two packs, just in case. Fortunately, it looks like I got pretty lucky with the first two protectors I used, so I still have 10 left.

I did unfortunately have to clean my lenses. One person who tried the Rift sweated so much that moisture managed to get between the original protective sheets and the lenses. I found that regular hand soap was enough to clean the lenses without scratching. I just swirled the soapy water around with a wet finger and it cleaned the lens without introducing any visible scratches. Since I already found out the hard way that even the most gentle touch with the included cleaning cloth was enough to cause small scratches, I wanted to let the lenses air dry, but who has time for that? Plus, that just means more time for dust and other particles to collect on the lenses again. What I discovered was that it's possible to keep the water from beading up on the lens during the rinse. Rinse as normal, but instead of removing the lens from the water source, reduce the water flow to a thin stream (it needs to be a stream, not a drip). Then, slowly move the lens out of the stream. If any water beads up on the lens, maneuver the lens until the puddle generated by the stream touches the droplet, then start moving the stream to the edge of the lens. If done properly, water tension helps pull individual drops back onto the puddle formed by the water stream, which will result in just a little bit of water remaining where the stream was finally guided off the lens. This quickly results in a dry lens without having to risk scratches from a cloth or lots of airborne particles from blasting the lens with air.

As for applying the Savvies, I was initially disappointed as it appeared that the Savvies were too rigid to lay flat against the lenses. But I just kept working my way around the lenses, and within 30 seconds or so the Savvies finally made full contact and are staying in place just fine. It seemed that pushing the raised area around the circumference of the lens was more effective than just trying to push straight down against the lens. So far I'm happy with the results, but even in the few seconds I had the A Lenses off (I used the B Lenses to keep the Rift sealed while cleaning the A Lenses), there was enough time for a couple of particles to settle on the screen. Fortunately, it was easy enough to use air to blow them off the screen.

violin
Honored Guest
"klasodeth" wrote:

Yep. It came addressed to "Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika" from Deutsche Post 😄
PS: Took about a week before they got here.

Vercci
Honored Guest
"klasodeth" wrote:

As for applying the Savvies, I was initially disappointed as it appeared that the Savvies were too rigid to lay flat against the lenses. But I just kept working my way around the lenses, and within 30 seconds or so the Savvies finally made full contact and are staying in place just fine. It seemed that pushing the raised area around the circumference of the lens was more effective than just trying to push straight down against the lens. So far I'm happy with the results, but even in the few seconds I had the A Lenses off (I used the B Lenses to keep the Rift sealed while cleaning the A Lenses), there was enough time for a couple of particles to settle on the screen. Fortunately, it was easy enough to use air to blow them off the screen.

With my extras, I found out the easiest way to get the savvies flat against the lenses was to bend them (not crease them) in half, and then try position the convex part in the middle of the lenses.

Starting from one side makes it reach a point where it will lift itself off of the lenses, or you'll actually crease the protector.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

jamacias
Honored Guest
So is there ever going to be a reply from an Oculus staff member as to how we can get replacements?