The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily. - Page 11 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily.

Comments

• RevEmRevEm Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Vercci wrote:
    Kel wrote:
    Prior to receiving my DK2, I would read the posts in this thread and just automatically assumed people weren't properly caring for their lenses.

I was wrong. :(
    Order the savvies, I have 18 covers in a drawer just waiting for me to put on a rift.

I won't be getting my dk2 until later next month, Hopefully....
    I hope they find the corse of the problem before then. But I have order 2 sets of the savvies already. One set of the 39mm and a set of the 40mm. If anyone is using them already which are the better size. I want to get some more before I receive my DK2.
  • rotamirotami Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    edited August 2015
    We are all just human... share your respect and show your love.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,044 Volunteer Moderator
    RevEm wrote:
    Vercci wrote:
    Kel wrote:
    Prior to receiving my DK2, I would read the posts in this thread and just automatically assumed people weren't properly caring for their lenses.

I was wrong. :(
    Order the savvies, I have 18 covers in a drawer just waiting for me to put on a rift.

I won't be getting my dk2 until later next month, Hopefully....
    I hope they find the corse of the problem before then. But I have order 2 sets of the savvies already. One set of the 39mm and a set of the 40mm. If anyone is using them already which are the better size. I want to get some more before I receive my DK2.

RevEm
    here's a photo of the 40mm Savvies applied to my DK2. These are the right size to go for with just a fraction of a millimetre gap. A little tricky to get centred but otherwise easy to apply.
    293brk7.jpg
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • Yeah I also bought these savies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H48H9SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even though I lived in the USA I could still by them with my American Amazon account and they only charged me $2 for shipping and I received them in only 4 days. I was rather surprised about the shipping as it was overseas, but that is a good thing. I paid less than $5 for the whole deal.
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Anyway, Thanks again for your post. I was beginning to think maybe I am a lunatic for speaking out. There may be a little truth in that. Hehe.
    No, these days fanboyism is so rampant that speaking out nearly anywhere is bound to get you a few negative comments here and there; I think you are exactly right.
    I am so gentle wiping my lenses I could groom the eyelashes of a dragonfly and I am certain to keep everything clean and free from debris and dust (I put the lens cloth back in it's bag after shaking it off thoroughly every time I use it), yet the lenses on my Rift are scratched nearly every-time I use it.
    Unfortunately I sweat alot in the Rift and I almost always get a smear or two that requires wiping by the time I'm done a session, so I will order up some savvies and hope for the best.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • bar10drbar10dr Posts: 60
    Brain Burst
    Do you actually see the scratches while using the rift or is it only noticeable when you hold it at an angle against a light source?

As long as they hold hold until the consumer version comes out its all good, hopefully they will be of better quality
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    bar10dr wrote:
    Do you actually see the scratches while using the rift or is it only noticeable when you hold it at an angle against a light source?

As long as they hold hold until the consumer version comes out its all good, hopefully they will be of better quality
    That's where I've gotten lucky so far. At the moment the scratches are so light and spread apart I absolutely can not notice them whatsoever when I am in game.
    I do believe that would be due to change however, should I not protect them asap.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • TWhiteTWhite Posts: 363
    Toss my hat into the ring of people saying these lenses are truly terrible. One week of ownership down, and both lenses are totally ruined. Uncountable amount of light ring like scratches, several deep very visible slash like marks. The only thing that ever touched these lenses intentionally was a microfiber cloth. I am disgusted with how badly they hold up. This needs refinement for the consumer model, it should not be up to the consumer to buy protectors for something that should be nearly scratch proof at this point in time.
    CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    Brain Burst
    TWhite wrote:
    Toss my hat into the ring of people saying these lenses are truly terrible. One week of ownership down, and both lenses are totally ruined. Uncountable amount of light ring like scratches, several deep very visible slash like marks. The only thing that ever touched these lenses intentionally was a microfiber cloth. I am disgusted with how badly they hold up. This needs refinement for the consumer model, it should not be up to the consumer to buy protectors for something that should be nearly scratch proof at this point in time.

wow...

I guess the only thing to do then is to run them under hot water and let them dry naturally?

Hope is not lost for you if you're using the A cups though, someone is making cheap custom plastic rings for the B cups so that they extend exactly like the A cups, so you can switch over to using them

Read about it on the oculus subreddit
  • @DaftnDirect, any tip on how you applied those? If I do it wrong - is it easy to remove them and reapply.
  • AT76AT76 Posts: 52
    Brain Burst
    Don't know if it's been stated, but apparently it's the salt crystals from people's sweat that are getting on the lens and/or cloth. Dragging those jagged things across the surface is what's causing the scratching, and is why it hasn't been replicated reliably by Occulus.

Not sure if knowing this will help anyone. Perhaps a brief light rinse first before wiping if you haven't got the lens protectors yet.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,044 Volunteer Moderator
    violin wrote:
    @DaftnDirect, any tip on how you applied those? If I do it wrong - is it easy to remove them and reapply.
    They're slightly adhesive so touch one edge against the lens, you can adjust the position a little until you're happy & press the rest of the protector on, then use a credit card wrapped in a soft cloth to press them on properly & remove any air bubbles.
    I suppose the only problem is making sure the lenses are clean when you put these on, ideally pull the film off that the DK2 was supplied with & put the Savvies straight on, but I'd been using mine for some time without the film so had to do one careful clean.... soapy water rinse & repeat... & dap with absorbent cloth without any rubbing

As for removing them, I'm thinking you don't want to be using a finger nail! or anything else that's going to touch the lens, so if they ever need to come off I'm thinking (carefully) superglue a matchstick to the surface of the Savvie towards an edge and pull it off
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • Yep, the lenses are absolutely worthless.

As someone who owns multiple binoculars and telescopes, I never expected my ultra thin, frameless glasses to be able to even touch let alone scratch these lenses.

Here is a pic:

mU5rnWT.png

gJUsW8u.png

I mean, really? I did most of that the first day I owned them. Getting them on and adjusted properly was a pain. They kept knocking my glasses around. If I had known that the glasses could that easily touch the lenses, I would have never worn them. So much for the A lenses. RIP.

As an added bonus, you can see some circular scratches from the ultra soft cloth they sent with it. It doesn't help that the lenses get dirty like that's their goal in life.

I hope the B lenses fare a little better. I will have to treat these like they are made of... um, what's the most fragile material on Earth anyway (other than Oculus lenses of course)?

And yes, these scuff marks DO show up in game.
    Brain Burst
    Ouch
  • klasodethklasodeth Posts: 128
    Hiro Protagonist
    RevEm
    here's a photo of the 40mm Savvies applied to my DK2. These are the right size to go for with just a fraction of a millimetre gap. A little tricky to get centred but otherwise easy to apply.
    http://oi60.tinypic.com/293brk7.jpg
    vonFelty wrote:
    Yeah I also bought these savies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H48H9SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even though I lived in the USA I could still by them with my American Amazon account and they only charged me $2 for shipping and I received them in only 4 days. I was rather surprised about the shipping as it was overseas, but that is a good thing. I paid less than $5 for the whole deal.
    Thanks to both of your posts, I've ordered the Savvies. I'm glad I decided against removing the original protective sheets. Hopefully I'll be able to apply the new protectors without much problem. Was it hard to keep fingers off the underside of the Savvies?
  • How are people putting Rift on their head, or taking off? I realised that for me the natural way to put Rift was like using gas mask ( maybe this habbit stuck from army ). First I bring rift to my face with one hand and then with other i pull straps behind my head. Taking off is just reverse, with one hand hold rift in place and with other hand pull straps to front. This way you dont rub lenses to your forehead so much.
  • GodmademedoitGodmademedoit Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    ZenSoturi wrote:
    How are people putting Rift on their head, or taking off? I realised that for me the natural way to put Rift was like using gas mask ( maybe this habbit stuck from army ). First I bring rift to my face with one hand and then with other i pull straps behind my head. Taking off is just reverse, with one hand hold rift in place and with other hand pull straps to front. This way you dont rub lenses to your forehead so much.

Yeah some guy I saw did a video of this, definitely the correct way to apply the rift, I tend to get lenses steaming up too if I pull if over my head "normally".
  • cloneclone Posts: 101
    Hiro Protagonist
    For the statistic: you can count me in :-(
    Just used it 3 days. When cleaning the lenses i was extremely cautious softly using the included cloth.
    Nevertheless i can see small scratches on the lenses. They are not visible when i put the rift on but i can imagine they will get worse with time.
    So i really HIGHLY recommend putting a screen protector on the lenses!
    (use 40mm round ones, i think the link has been posted often here: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00H48H9SC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

There must be something wrong with them as they scratch much more easy than the cheap acrylic OpenDive lenses...
    Hopefully we get more official information on this topic as this is a major flaw in an "optical device".
    ...why so serious?
  • ZweitweltZweitwelt Posts: 17
    edited September 2014
    (Sorry for my english)

Hi,

i want to give you a little advice:

if you use the Screen Protector for Watches for your rift and after applying there is dust under it, do the following steps:
    remove the film and put Scotch transparent tape or any other similar product on the side that sticks to the lenses.
    Cover the whole film with overlapping tape stripes. Now you can remove the screen protecot from the tape and apply the film protector again.
    For me it works always fine with almost all kind of screen protectors (not the one with glue).

Hope it helps.

(wait for the dust to settle down - shut off computer[fan off] - close windows and do not walk around in the room)
    Brain Burst
    How easy does the protective film get scratched? As in how often do you have to change the protective film?

Is it hard to get off once you put it on?
  • 1karl11karl1 Posts: 242
    bar10dr wrote:
    How easy does the protective film get scratched? As in how often do you have to change the protective film?

Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13601 i've still got the same protectors on mine and they're still like the day i put them on there . Brilliant value for money .
    Brain Burst
    1karl1 wrote:
    bar10dr wrote:

Check this thread viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13601 i've still got the same protectors on mine and they're still like the day i put them on there . Brilliant value for money .
    Thanks! I ordered a pack.

I ordered these though http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411523112&sr=8-1&keywords=Savvies+40mm

Hopefully they will be just as good
  • RevEmRevEm Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi DaftnDirect, thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. I have been away with not Internet.
    As for applying the protectors I will be,
    Running a warm shower for 10 minutes to remove most dust and airborne particles.
    turn off shower and allow 10 minutes or so to allow the humidity in the room to drop.
    then applying the protectors. Entering and exiting the room in whatever way to minimise any contamination.

Maybe overkill. But, I don't want any dust behind the protector that can damage the lenses.
    Hiro Protagonist
    For anyone who orders the Savvies from Amazon UK, be aware that they'll probably ship in an ordinary letter envelope. Mine apparently shipped directly from Germany, and I assumed the letter was junk mail at first.
  • klasodeth wrote:
    For anyone who orders the Savvies from Amazon UK, be aware that they'll probably ship in an ordinary letter envelope. Mine apparently shipped directly from Germany, and I assumed the letter was junk mail at first.
    They also repurpose the savvies container for a regular phone protector.

It'd be a good idea to get more than 1 pack if you're a little OCD like me. Gives you plenty of room for mistakes.
    NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT
    Hiro Protagonist
    Vercci wrote:
    It'd be a good idea to get more than 1 pack if you're a little OCD like me. Gives you plenty of room for mistakes.
    I bought two packs, just in case. Fortunately, it looks like I got pretty lucky with the first two protectors I used, so I still have 10 left.

I did unfortunately have to clean my lenses. One person who tried the Rift sweated so much that moisture managed to get between the original protective sheets and the lenses. I found that regular hand soap was enough to clean the lenses without scratching. I just swirled the soapy water around with a wet finger and it cleaned the lens without introducing any visible scratches. Since I already found out the hard way that even the most gentle touch with the included cleaning cloth was enough to cause small scratches, I wanted to let the lenses air dry, but who has time for that? Plus, that just means more time for dust and other particles to collect on the lenses again. What I discovered was that it's possible to keep the water from beading up on the lens during the rinse. Rinse as normal, but instead of removing the lens from the water source, reduce the water flow to a thin stream (it needs to be a stream, not a drip). Then, slowly move the lens out of the stream. If any water beads up on the lens, maneuver the lens until the puddle generated by the stream touches the droplet, then start moving the stream to the edge of the lens. If done properly, water tension helps pull individual drops back onto the puddle formed by the water stream, which will result in just a little bit of water remaining where the stream was finally guided off the lens. This quickly results in a dry lens without having to risk scratches from a cloth or lots of airborne particles from blasting the lens with air.

As for applying the Savvies, I was initially disappointed as it appeared that the Savvies were too rigid to lay flat against the lenses. But I just kept working my way around the lenses, and within 30 seconds or so the Savvies finally made full contact and are staying in place just fine. It seemed that pushing the raised area around the circumference of the lens was more effective than just trying to push straight down against the lens. So far I'm happy with the results, but even in the few seconds I had the A Lenses off (I used the B Lenses to keep the Rift sealed while cleaning the A Lenses), there was enough time for a couple of particles to settle on the screen. Fortunately, it was easy enough to use air to blow them off the screen.
  • klasodeth wrote:

Yep. It came addressed to "Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika" from Deutsche Post :D
    PS: Took about a week before they got here.
  • klasodeth wrote:
    As for applying the Savvies, I was initially disappointed as it appeared that the Savvies were too rigid to lay flat against the lenses. But I just kept working my way around the lenses, and within 30 seconds or so the Savvies finally made full contact and are staying in place just fine. It seemed that pushing the raised area around the circumference of the lens was more effective than just trying to push straight down against the lens. So far I'm happy with the results, but even in the few seconds I had the A Lenses off (I used the B Lenses to keep the Rift sealed while cleaning the A Lenses), there was enough time for a couple of particles to settle on the screen. Fortunately, it was easy enough to use air to blow them off the screen.

With my extras, I found out the easiest way to get the savvies flat against the lenses was to bend them (not crease them) in half, and then try position the convex part in the middle of the lenses.

Starting from one side makes it reach a point where it will lift itself off of the lenses, or you'll actually crease the protector.
    NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT
  • So is there ever going to be a reply from an Oculus staff member as to how we can get replacements?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Well, there are a few issues here. One, we don't have extra lenses laying around. There are only enough to go with the headset itself. Two, there is no point to make extra lenses if there is a problem and they will just get scratched again. We need to find out first if there actually is a problem, and then figure out how to solve it if there is.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV