cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily.

Zebrastealer
Honored Guest
I have had my DK2 kit for less than a day and only used the supplied Oculus microfiber cloth to clean the lenses. I had the DK1 for a year and never got a scratch on the lens. This afternoon I thought the lenses seemed dirty, upon closer inspection I was shocked to find the lenses had swirl scratches all over both of them. This is very disappointing and unless I got a bad pair of lenses it is going to be a problem with all the DK2 lenses, no matter how careful people are with them.

Picture of scratches: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kW5dpki9eMMkN4d1c4UDdOYXc/edit?usp=sharing

I have also posted this on Reddit: http://redd.it/2cdoaz

My advice, please do your best to be extra cautious with your own lenses, they will get scratched but maybe if you are super careful they'll last a little longer. Oculus, you need to come up with a solution for these lenses, they are not durable enough, not for a development kit, and certainly not for a consumer model.
542 REPLIES 542

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well, there are a few issues here. One, we don't have extra lenses laying around. There are only enough to go with the headset itself. Two, there is no point to make extra lenses if there is a problem and they will just get scratched again. We need to find out first if there actually is a problem, and then figure out how to solve it if there is.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

jamacias
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
Well, there are a few issues here. One, we don't have extra lenses laying around. There are only enough to go with the headset itself. Two, there is no point to make extra lenses if there is a problem and they will just get scratched again. We need to find out first if there actually is a problem, and then figure out how to solve it if there is.

Thanks, I can send you mine if need be for testing.

Do (or did considering you're probably using a variant of the CB) your personal DK2's get scratched easily or is it just seemingly the mass produced ones that are getting scratched easily?

cybereality
Grand Champion
I have a normal DK2 at work and my lenses seem fine. Though maybe I haven't been using them as much as some other people here on the forum.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

nvstewart
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
I have a normal DK2 at work and my lenses seem fine. Though maybe I haven't been using them as much as some other people here on the forum.

So far I have rifted probably between 12-18 hrs. I have some scratches on my lenses but they are so fine that when you are wearing the rift the scratches are invisible anyway.

AngryBear
Honored Guest
Will my DK1 lenses work?

cybereality
Grand Champion
The DK2 lenses are different from DK1.

petero
Honored Guest
Got my DK2 Yesterday.
Peel off the plastic protectors as there were air bubbles on them.
Used it for about an hour, noticed some sweat on the lenses so i wiped them down with the lenses cloth.
Yes i have scratches now. As to whether or not they were there before i started using them im not sure

Not impressed.

whiochon
Honored Guest
"jamacias" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:

Thanks, I can send you mine if need be for testing.

That's the most sensible suggestion so far, since Oculus is still not acknowledging the issue.
I salute your sacrifice!

AT76
Honored Guest
By all indications it's the salt crystals in people's sweat being dragged across the lens that is causing this damage.

AngryBear
Honored Guest
Maybe its best just to press the cloth very gently onto the lenses rather than dragging it.