cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Enmark
Expert Protege
Hi. im Swedish guy with early dreams of VR since i first tried the "Virtuality" arcade machine "Nightmare" later called "Dactyl Nightmare". My goal is to bring my childhood dream back from the dead, for the historic value and because it was a lot of peoples first VR experience!

I have gain the original Programer and graphic designers blessing to recreate the game. but have failed to reach the actual owner of the Game.

The game will be Free of charge and should NOT be redistributed without my knowledge.

Everything is built from scratch and is measured by eye sight from this lone clip!
all 3D work is made in sketchup and all sound effects are taken from the original videoclip.

201 REPLIES 201

simonm74
Explorer
Looks good!

I have 4 original VR machines from the 1990`s.

2 are fully working - running Dactly Nightmare
I have a third 1000CS - but the amiga is dead
I also have a 1000SD - but that has sound and tracking problems...

I will restore them all!

check me out on Facebook - Retro VR
Also look on my `work in progress webpage`
www.retro-vr.co.uk/test

Ok...Please dont shoot me down for this.... but...

EVERYONE who has tried an Oc Rift, had bad expectations of the 23 year old machines... but ALL said WOW, its better than a rift!!!
Well - they did cost £38`000 when new 😛

I tried my first Rift (DK1) a couple of weeks ago, and I`ll be honest.. yeah the GFX are better (due to screen res and PC), but the tracking is not up to the original VR machines quality - imho.

Ok Back to Dactly Nightmare..

The Dactly, on my game, comes down after 8 shots made by the player - with the voice over `Bird is coming`, whether a hit of not. A warning after 7 shots of `Bird is Hungry`. The qty of hits before the dactly attacks can be set in the start up sequence of the game though, so I`m guess it was up to the operating company.
Also, falling off the map... not possible by default, but the `invisible walls` can be turned off too.

Sorry V8Griff.... You are kind of `wrong` about the VR 1000 units being non Stereo..
Ok Most were not.
Just 2 games ever were. One `WAS` Dactly Nightmare`, and I think the other was Exorex. All the other games were not stereo, but these two did actually send a different POV image to each eye..

It looks good, and the map looks very accurate..
Where did you get this from ? - just the Youtube videos?

I look forward to playing.... tho tbh I dont have a Rift, so I hope I can still play this on my PC! ?

Simon

PS: thanks V8Griff! for mentioning the Retro Computer Museum, in Leicester, UK!!
Yes thats where one of my VR machines is - well along with the dead CS and the problematic SD units too.
the other working machine is in my garage.
Both will be at the Play Expo Event in Manchester UK, in October - Playing Dactly Nightmare Multi-Player!

Anonymous
Not applicable
"simonm74" wrote:
Sorry V8Griff.... You are kind of `wrong` about the VR 1000 units being non Stereo..
Ok Most were not.
Just 2 games ever were. One `WAS` Dactly Nightmare`, and I think the other was Exorex. All the other games were not stereo, but these two did actually send a different POV image to each eye..
Simon

PS: thanks V8Griff! for mentioning the Retro Computer Museum, in Leicester, UK!!
Yes thats where one of my VR machines is - well along with the dead CS and the problematic SD units too.
the other working machine is in my garage.
Both will be at the Play Expo Event in Manchester UK, in October - Playing Dactly Nightmare Multi-Player!

Hi Simon, Any guesses to who I am? 😉

I don't think we've had this discussion but while the systems are 'capable' of stereo they never ran as 3D even the 2000 series ran with 100% overlap, maybe that's another reason that motion sickness wasn't a feature of the Virtuality systems.

henleyb
Protege
Great work, as a 15 year-ish old kid I pumped a lot of my pocket money in to experiencing Virtuality. I was blown away by it and the potential; I couldn't wait the 3 years I thought it would take to be able to experience VR on my own home computer. :lol:

simonm74
Explorer
"V8Griff" wrote:

I don't think we've had this discussion but while the systems are 'capable' of stereo they never ran as 3D even the 2000 series ran with 100% overlap, maybe that's another reason that motion sickness wasn't a feature of the Virtuality systems.

Yep, David - I know you 🙂

I spoke to Tarique about this, and it was him who said that there were only the 2 games that were real 3D, as I said above.
To be honest, I was surprised when I was told, but I`m guessing its true 🙂

As for `lack of motion sickness`, I dont think its due to the dual display at all, as with my google cardboard, I`m fine using that, but I did feel sick on the Oc Rift within a minute!

Simon

Anonymous
Not applicable
"simonm74" wrote:
"V8Griff" wrote:

Yep, David - I know you 🙂

I spoke to Tarique about this, and it was him who said that there were only the 2 games that were real 3D, as I said above.
To be honest, I was surprised when I was told, but I`m guessing its true 🙂

As for `lack of motion sickness`, I dont think its due to the dual display at all, as with my google cardboard, I`m fine using that, but I did feel sick on the Oc Rift within a minute!

Simon

😄

Yes as I said before though, the games themselves may have been 3D but both Richard and Mark told me they didn't run in 3D, which would explain why just using 1 GFX card doesn't have any effect on the game or it's display.

simonm74
Explorer
As far as know,

all first releases of all games did not run in 3D, but they updated two of them to run in 3D.

I may be wrong, but that's what I was told 😛

Enmark
Expert Protege
Work in progress is a NPC player with the ability to shoot back at you, and if this works out the same with the dactyl.

Thanx simonm74for the input on the game rules. It will definitely be implemented if the lizard gets an primitiv NPC AI. for now it's only a crappy animation on repeat! :?

Yesterday an intresting gamedisign error ocured after 5-10 min of gameplay! The dactyl got caught by on of the pods and lost a wing. :lol:

my own way of solving the "Pod seatbelt" (so the player doesnt fall of the pod when its moving) i use parenting moving object and it certainly has it flaws :roll:

Enmark
Expert Protege
1. Singel player with AI Enemy is on its way! *working*

2. SDK v0.4.2 Implemented *Test is on its way* (would need help to test this on a DK2, i have non yet) 🙂

3. Dactyl AI is next on the list *Not started*

4. Score GUI *Not started*

purifier82
Protege
dk2 owner available for testing, just give me a link to download 😄
Si vis pacem para bellum

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
Another willing DK2 tester here 🙂
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit