cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live for Speed - now with support for Oculus 1.3

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Dear Rift owners,

You can now download a new version of Live for Speed with support for the Oculus Rift DK2.

The DK2 system has been well tested and received a lot of support from people in the Rift community. It is great being able to look around the cockpit of your car and the world you are in just as you would in real life.

The Rift support works in free demo mode, without unlocking the full version. So give it a go if you haven't already!

Read more about the update and how to get it on our website http://www.lfs.net

EDIT : We have released a new official version supporting Oculus 1.3
0.6P Information page : https://www.lfs.net/patch-6p
Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
275 REPLIES 275

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
"AntDX316" wrote:
the only problem with LFS is when cars show up on the screen or the car hits the bump on the apex the screen goes up and down quick like it glitched making it distracting

Most times I've heard a report like this, it turned out that the camera was not absolutely steady, and vibrations from the wheel were making the camera move. Ideally you should mount the camera on a nearby shelf, just somehow that it can't move. Very tiny camera movements, including the vibrations from force feedback at violent moments, come out big when the result is seen in the rift.

Sharkku
Protege
One thing to add to your list, Scawen, if you haven't already: When watching replays, the cameras don't move appropriately when you tilt your head, in a way that creates vertical stereoscopic disparity. You don't notice it if you keep your head level, only if you tilt it to the side, but then it's rather uncomfortable.
Seems like a mistake that's easy to make though, since it's the same with the menus in Euro Truck Simulator.

And when I'm giving feedback anyway: I would prefer the replay sequences to be more like you are transported to a point and watching from within the virtual world, being able to look around freely. I perfectly understand why it is like it is now with the black borders, since you move the camera to follow the car in focus and that could make people nauseous. And I figure it's more of an easy fix, just taken from the 2D version of the game, while you were working on the important parts. But it's a suggestion! If you get around to it some time! 😉
DK1 - previously owned DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24) CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day) Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Hi Sharkku,

I know what you mean about the replay TV cameras mode but that's not a mistake. It's a simulation of a 3D TV / monitor / projector screen and that's how it would be. Also if you press P to pause the image and move your head from side to side, the image stays the same but your perception tells you the world is warping. Again, this is exactly how it works on a 3D TV. It wasn't really an easy fix... simulating a 3D TV within a VR black room was quite tough to do actually, though it was indeed the only way to make it work with the current replay system we have.

I am considering trying out and possibly then adding an option for a special sickness-inducing non-TV teleportation-based replay following mode as well. 🙂

samfire
Honored Guest
Loving the DK2 intergration, works perfectly.

Is it possible to have a mirror image / output to the computer monitor? so other people can see what the user is seeing?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
While talking about replays... I... uhm, this might be nutty. It would be kind of neat if I could sit in the passenger seat when jumping between cars, and when looking to the side I would see the one driving :x Buuut, that is easier said that done, just figured I'd mention it 😄 Would also be impossible with one seaters.

Oh, perhaps this feature is more easily/better implemented when spectating 😄 Imagine if the one driving actually would get a person teleporting into the passenger seat, haha! I would crap my pants! Probably, erhm, keep that client side. The teleportation I mean.

Sharkku
Protege
"scawen" wrote:
Hi Sharkku,

I know what you mean about the replay TV cameras mode but that's not a mistake. It's a simulation of a 3D TV / monitor / projector screen and that's how it would be. Also if you press P to pause the image and move your head from side to side, the image stays the same but your perception tells you the world is warping. Again, this is exactly how it works on a 3D TV. It wasn't really an easy fix... simulating a 3D TV within a VR black room was quite tough to do actually, though it was indeed the only way to make it work with the current replay system we have.

Aha, thanks for clearing that up!

"scawen" wrote:
I am considering trying out and possibly then adding an option for a special sickness-inducing non-TV teleportation-based replay following mode as well. 🙂

That sounds good! 🙂 I'm not sure how nausea-inducing it would be though... For me, it's worse with the eye-strain from the vertical stereodisparity. Being placed as a stationary spectator above the track somewhere though, would not induce nausea I think. But then again, I seem to be completely immune to vection-induced nausea in the Rift! (lucky for me!) Flying along with the cars though, could be uncomfortable for some people. iRacing have some mode like that, and I got a tingling sensation in my stomach from it. No nausea though. 🙂
DK1 - previously owned DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24) CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day) Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)

flamecze
Honored Guest
"BOLL" wrote:
While talking about replays... I... uhm, this might be nutty. It would be kind of neat if I could sit in the passenger seat when jumping between cars, and when looking to the side I would see the one driving :x Buuut, that is easier said that done, just figured I'd mention it 😄 Would also be impossible with one seaters.

Oh, perhaps this feature is more easily/better implemented when spectating 😄 Imagine if the one driving actually would get a person teleporting into the passenger seat, haha! I would crap my pants! Probably, erhm, keep that client side. The teleportation I mean.

It's easier than you think! Press V to select the custom view (the one after cockpit view) - you should just see the wheels without car body.

Then go to Options - View and you can play around with all the values there.

To make a nice passenger seat view:
- set Draw to "body"
- set Mirror mode and Clocks mode to "real"
- set X offset to wherever it looks best (e.g. 0.3 m)

Then you can switch to that view whenever you want - in replays, in the race etc.

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
"samfire" wrote:

Is it possible to have a mirror image / output to the computer monitor? so other people can see what the user is seeing?

Thanks!

I have heard that it is easy to do this with some free software called Open Broadcaster.

samfire
Honored Guest
"scawen" wrote:
"samfire" wrote:

Thanks!

I have heard that it is easy to do this with some free software called Open Broadcaster.

Thanks Scawen! will try that 🙂

Scawen
Heroic Explorer
Some people probably don't know about this, as it was only introduced in the final test patch before 0.6G.

A command line option to go straight into the Rift, avoiding the need to start in 2D, exit and restart in 3D.

LFS.exe /rift=on - try to go straight into Rift mode
LFS.exe /rift=off - do not go into Rift (ignores previous mode)

Example for people who are not familiar with editing command line options:

- Right click on the LFS shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties"
- In the "Shortcut" tab you will see "Target", something like C:\LFS\LFS.exe
- Add a space then /rift=on so now it might say C:\LFS\LFS.exe /rift=on
- Click OK to save the changes

Now when you use the shortcut it should go straight into the Rift, if the Rift is in the correct mode.