cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up Extended Mode correctly

michealv
Explorer
Hi Guys,

I've edited the main topic body - as its irrelevant and I'd rather provide the solution, rather than the problem.

This should solve most judder issues for you that are not FPS related.

EDIT: Read my reply below for solution
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )
11 REPLIES 11

michealv
Explorer
So after more testing I've found a solution which has worked for every single demo I've tried so far, wonderful that I've figured out a solution, here is exactly,step by step, of how I did it.

1.) Set your Rift mode to Extended (make sure your rift is off at this point).

2.) Ensure that your main monitor resolution is left alone at default 1080p or higher, do not change the refresh rate (you wont need your monitor to run at 75hz)

3.) Turn your Rift on, and right click on your desktop and select 'Screen Resolution'. Press Identify, move your desktop monitor to the right of the Rift on the two images shown.

4.) Set Rift as your Main Monitor, hit apply, then turn off your Rift.

5.) Load up Bilagos Game Manager (http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2dzf5j/beta_unofficial_vr_game_launchermanager_by_bilago/)

6.) Move the game manager to be just past the right corner of your screen (so its half off your screen).

7.) Turn your rift on, and you should see the other half of the game launcher on your desktop monitor.

8.) Select the game you want, set it to adapter -0 (The primary screen will always be 0), set to windowed borderless, and select disable Aero.
NOTE: Even while in extended mode, you can still load games via the DirectToRift exe. The application will be forced to the rifts monitor.

9.) Launch game, no more judder! to pick a different game, exit the application (esc default) and just pick a new game on your monitor.

NOTE: If you get half a screen on the rift, and half on the desktop monitor, close the game, untick windowed borderless, reload game, drag over to the left onto rifts monitor and press ALT+Enter. Close game, re-tick window borderless, reload game. Game should load correctly for subsequent attempts.

Edit: Once you have done up to step 6 once, you will only need to follow steps 7 onwards from then on. 😄
****************************************************************************************************************************************************
****************************************************************************************************************************************************
Direct Mode
If you still have troubles with judder, check fps is stable 75, otherwise you need to launch the game in DirectToRift mode (If you have judder in DirectToRift as well disable Intel HT in the bios- I7 chips only)
NOTE: Don't alter refresh rates or resolution of your PC monitor - even for DirectMode. If you still have judder, add '-force-dx11' to the command line.
I've tested this with DirectToRift of Darkfield demo with all my default monitor settings left alone with no judder.

If all else fails, cyber has this to say (source: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15489)

"cybereality" wrote:

If you press Windows + Shift + Left/Right Arrow you can switch which screen a windowed app goes to, which may help you navigate around. You can also use Extended mode w/ monitor as primary and then click the "DirectToRift.exe" to have it show up on the Rift.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Right Eye Tear
If you get a tear (or de-sync in your right or left eyes) you will need to reboot your PC to temporarily resolve this.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )

AoS.Wasted
Expert Protege
I hope the runtime / sdk guys from Oculus are reading 🙂 because when the consumer version is launched this much steps to simple launch a game to get the 'correct' experience is not going to work.

Not even talking about a 'development' setup where you want your dev environment on multiple monitors AND using the rift to test your build.

michealv
Explorer
You make a very good point here AntonieB, I've spent hours trying to get this setup perfectly, and in the process I've made myself very very unwell with all the failed attempts. Right now my eyes feel like they were tugged on lol.

Won't be until tomorrow that I start playing with the games properly.

pherik
Honored Guest
Awesome, I will set this up when I get home as I was having massive issues with extended mode as it refused to display on the rift.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I guess whatever works, works, but I'd hope there was an easier way.

I have shared this with the engineering team and it may help track down the source of the problem.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

michealv
Explorer
Thanks Cyber, I've quoted a comment you made on another thread here, to help in those last resort situations.

I've also made some adjustments to my guide for more problem solving.

michealv
Explorer
Added extra to DirectToRift - if you have an I7 its reccomended that you turn HyperThreading off in the Bios. This gets DIrectToRift mode working perfectly, no judder, no vertical tear (IF you get tear in a unity app use the known command line switches for forcing dx11)

fudspong
Explorer
If ever there was a need for a sticky . . . Cyber said something a while back about moving to new forum software, but he also said stuff about speeding up shipping to Australia so YMMV. Anyway, thanks for this, it's very helpful and should be a sticky. Bermp!

Crayox
Honored Guest
Really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Picture in my DK2 is either upside down, or left to right. I tried all windows setting landscape, portrait, and flipped versions. Any ideas?