New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[Experience / Simulator] Flying in dreams

Comments

• pmarquespmarques Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    Awesome demo.
    With this kind of controls + razer hydra someone could make a Quidditch game!
  • zwickarrzwickarr Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    interesting and fun. i felt i was able to control it better when i held the Rift with both my hands.
  • ProfessorEABProfessorEAB Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    So after messing around in it myself as well as putting others in it, I have some suggestions for you to address:

1) Make the map's reset boundaries larger so there is room for flying out to the edges. Also, at the same time I would soften the edges of the terrain map so it looks like you're on an island or something. The hard edges are jarring, look bad, and everyone I have put in this have told me this is the biggest problem of the demo. It has to do with the abruptness of the reset.

2) I would also raise the maximum height of the map a bit as well for the same reason. You want to push the boundaries a little as a flyer, not just go up to them. I want to go higher than the highest mountain, even if it's just a few feet.

3) When you fly straight up and you 'stall' out (awesome) - if you turn your head to then dive bomb back to the Earth, you actually continue to go backwards, which - if you are facing down at this point - you fly up backwards momentarily. Totally ruins the stalling/dive bomb feeling. You should look into a solution for that, I feel like it's a big one personally.

Keep up the great work!
  • fudspong wrote:
    Point a desktop fan at yourself for greater immersion :)

This. Tried this while standing, almost lost my balance. Tried it again while chest down on the floor in a superman pose, almost achieved nirvana.
  • gkgraeber wrote:
    fudspong wrote:
    Point a desktop fan at yourself for greater immersion :)

This. Tried this while standing, almost lost my balance. Tried it again while chest down on the floor in a superman pose, almost achieved nirvana.

Really? Lying on my stomach, I can't even look up enough to fly level. Maybe I need some pillows?
  • DrachenherzDrachenherz Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    Try lying on a bed, but with your head/upper shoulders over the edge, so you can still lay down comfortably but with your head free to look around in any direction. Voila. :D
  • NatemoNatemo Posts: 56
    bwiklund wrote:
    Thanks!

The sound is something I spent a whole evening on, since I used to be a sound engineer. There's a couple layers of wind that change pitch and volume with speed, which you noticed. There's also another factor, which is that if you turn your head the side, the ear facing the wind (forward) gets a louder rumbling wind. I'm pretty proud of that, even if no one is consciously aware of it.

I find sound very very important to games really can make or break it !
  • It would be neat to be able to hold a key to unlock look from steering.
    Also, this is my favourite demo, hands down.

I think that for the relative simplicity of this demonstration, the effect is so powerful. When you update this with new maps and terrain or whatever you do, it will be even more amazing.
  • dhamma wrote:
    It would be neat to be able to hold a key to unlock look from steering.
    Also, this is my favourite demo, hands down.

I think that for the relative simplicity of this demonstration, the effect is so powerful. When you update this with new maps and terrain or whatever you do, it will be even more amazing.

I'm with dhamma - I go back to this demo fairly often, and use it to introduce friends to the Rift.

I would pay real money to be able to import USGS data as map files. There's at least one script I know of that takes one of their formats and makes terrain models in Unity:
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=HeightmapFromGridFloat
  • AmnioAmnio Posts: 21
    Just wanted to write thanks and that I'm impressed. Great work.
  • TorianTorian Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Heyas, I run a Cyber kids afterschool camp and took the Rift to work for them. They absolutely enjoyed your demo the most! The feeling of flying around, showing off to your friends as you take dips and turns kept them happy for the afternoon. Thanks for this experience!
  • bwiklundbwiklund Posts: 17
    Torian wrote:
    Heyas, I run a Cyber kids afterschool camp and took the Rift to work for them. They absolutely enjoyed your demo the most! The feeling of flying around, showing off to your friends as you take dips and turns kept them happy for the afternoon. Thanks for this experience!

Haha, sweet. Can kids even use the oculus? Or does intraocular distance change less with body size than I would think?
  • I actually let my two year old try it :) maybe not the best idea... but he LOVED it. He cried when I made him stop after just a minute or so. At the beginning, when you are attached to the plane, he kept looking over at the plane and reaching out to try to grab it. It was pretty adorable. He just smiled and laughed the whole time, and now he is constantly pointing at my office and saying "Fly?" So I have a toddler addicted to VR thanks to you :P
  • What's more fun than flying? Almost nothing! :)
  • TorianTorian Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    bwiklund wrote:
    Torian wrote:

Haha, sweet. Can kids even use the oculus? Or does intraocular distance change less with body size than I would think?

They're aged 7-9 and they haven't been exhibiting any negative symptoms or reactions to the rift. Gonna have them make their own murder mystery with panoramic pictures and a point and click interface! The rift is seriously opening up new and exciting doors for educational use.
  • BlackFogBlackFog Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I see a "Magic Carpet" remake... :)
  • kwxkwx Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Torian wrote:
    They're aged 7-9 and they haven't been exhibiting any negative symptoms or reactions to the rift. Gonna have them make their own murder mystery with panoramic pictures and a point and click interface! The rift is seriously opening up new and exciting doors for educational use.

Please don't talk to the press about this specific educational use. We really don't need stories about how 7 year old kids are using the Oculus Rift as a murder simulator ;-)
  • RyanVRRyanVR Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    One of the best demos I have tried so far, it's really fun.

But why use a plane?

Imagine an eagle or something like that, with guns, put some enemies in and we have Agony VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd_Ax7DSZ9w

Gread Job!
  • SwashbucklerSwashbuckler Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Beware! Kids eyes are in growth fase, so any form of 3d content viewing is not good for their eye development, especially kids below 7. Look it up, this has been investigated thoroughly.
  • LindblumLindblum Posts: 127
    Hiro Protagonist
    This project is off to a great start. I see this as an attempt to tap into a certain purity of experience, so there are some directions I would like to see it go:
    1. More scenery options. Maybe I'd like to fly between branches of giant trees, or see a landscape that isn't entirely brown. Random terrains ("Reticulating splines!").
    2. Weather. Fly through rain, snow, and clouds. Implement wind, see it affect the precipitation and your own movement. Since these effects would be computationally taxing they should be optional. This is one of the few demos I am able to share with people on my weak laptop.
    3. Some other crash-to-respawn transition. Instead of the instant reset, there is an opportunity to direct crashing into a more jarring in-your-face experience, and the re-awakening as some a gentle fade-in. Death should be feared, reincarnation should be rejuvenating. A personal cycle of birth, freedom, and death.
    4. Eliminate the map boundary. Instead of flying above a square floating in the middle of nowhere, with invisible walls you can crash into, maybe wrap the map into a sphere, so you are flying around your own little world.
    5. Consider losing the plane. Maybe I don't want anything referencing human inventions, but instead focus on the experience of the relationship between the self, and the space of the "natural" environment. I suggest this for the sake of the purity of the experience.
  • Please please please keep developing this. Easily the best demo so far for pure fun that uniquely works in VR.
  • That is the best VR experience i had so far ! I really hope you ll take the experience further. Cant wait to show this to my friends. The Sound is great. Just a physics problem when you go up and wait for the speed to be null and try to go down again with you own weight looking up still and slowly steering right or left, there is something bit wrong here, just my point of view, but its fu;;ing greater than anything else ive experienced before ! thx
  • Hey, are you by chance working on and update for DK2? I accidentally passed this up when I had my DK1 and was curious.
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
  • DrachenherzDrachenherz Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    Hey, are you by chance working on and update for DK2? I accidentally passed this up when I had my DK1 and was curious.

I second this questions because it is relevant to my interests.

:mrgreen:
  • any updates ?
  • Unfortunately, I no longer have a Unity Pro license. Whenever free unity integration comes out, I'll probably patch it to work with DK2.
  • FunJumprFunJumpr Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    bwiklund wrote:
    Unfortunately, I no longer have a Unity Pro license. Whenever free unity integration comes out, I'll probably patch it to work with DK2.

I just bought it this morning and the opening "whoosh" screen lands on total blackout. Head tracking is working cause I can hear the sound move from one ear to the other. Wanna hand over the files so I can get the mac version working ;P

I've been dying to try a flight sim. Guess I'll have to go make one now ...
  • You bought it? But it's free?
  • Disregard what I said yesterday. I got it working on DK2, 0.4.2

26MB download (PC)
    http://flyingindreams.com

Best results for me are main monitor unplugged, (it has a low framerate) running in extended mode. I didn't get great results with the direct mode binary, but I left it in the project in case that's not a universal problem.

Let me know if you have issues.
  • SpocksBeerSpocksBeer Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Most excellent, I've been waiting for this one to be updated. For such a basic demo, it provides a lot of play time thanks to the intuitive flight mechanic. :)

It seems to work about as well in Direct mode as Extended for me. There's judder on head rotations, but I'm not sure I'd call that a frame rate issue. To me it appears to be more of a v-sync issue, with the Rift not properly locking to (or generating) the 75hz display mode.