Pre-Cut Round Lens (Watch Crystal) Protectors — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Pre-Cut Round Lens (Watch Crystal) Protectors

ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
NerveGear
edited October 2014 in General
Hey all, found a user on Reddit talking about round screen protectors for watches but only gave a link to Amazon UK:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2f0cig/circular_40mm_screen_protectors_for_lenses/

But for those in the USA, Amazon USA has them from a different manufacturer (KlearKare):

KlearKare Invisible Screen Shield Protector for Generic Watch 40mm Face Bezel | Military Grade Scratch Protection | Lifetime Warranty

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUJ3AF2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

A couple of things to look for is that this comes with an application solution. They don't specify what it is though they mention "NOTE: A small amount of water is used in installation." Folks may want to be sure to read the package and make sure there aren't any solvents in it besides water or very mild/dilute alcohols (I have been using Nikon lens cloths for cleaning DK2 lenses here and they have some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in them but it seems fairly diluted with water - which might be important for not hurting the lenses).

I haven't used these protectors so can't say yet how they are, but I'm going to order some. Price is $7.95 per pack of 2 with $1.01 shipping.

I'm sure there are others available as well but on the whole, these have pretty good reviews. Most are 5 stars but a few that rated it less than that seemed to have some kind of problem. Either the protector wasn't completely cut through (scissors would fix that) or they had some other issue.

Comments

• TrapTrap Posts: 32
    nice find, those look cool .. would 38's be best I wonder.. was also trying to find some information
    about the A lens and B.. which lens is best for people that don't wear glasses? does it matter? can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
  • floydfreakfloydfreak Posts: 386
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ordered..

Thank you ThreeEyes.

Six of them for a mere £1.60 + 60p postage.
    I haven't taken the plastic off of my lenses yet - so I'm hoping that after I put these protectors on, I'll never need to see a scratch.

Assuming they're not already scratched of course :lol:
  • 1karl11karl1 Posts: 242
    ThreeEyes wrote:
    Hey all, found a user on Reddit talking about round screen protectors for watches but only gave a link to Amazon UK:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2f0cig/circular_40mm_screen_protectors_for_lenses/

But for those in the USA, Amazon USA has them from a different manufacturer (KlearKare):

KlearKare Invisible Screen Shield Protector for Generic Watch 40mm Face Bezel | Military Grade Scratch Protection | Lifetime Warranty

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUJ3AF2/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

A couple of things to look for is that this comes with an application solution. They don't specify what it is though they mention "NOTE: A small amount of water is used in installation." Folks may want to be sure to read the package and make sure there aren't any solvents in it besides water or very mild/dilute alcohols (I have been using Nikon lens cloths for cleaning DK2 lenses here and they have some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) in them but it seems fairly diluted with water - which might be important for not hurting the lenses).

I haven't used these protectors so can't say yet how they are, but I'm going to order some. Price is $7.95 per pack of 2 with $1.01 shipping.

I'm sure there are others available as well but on the whole, these have pretty good reviews. Most are 5 stars but a few that rated it less than that seemed to have some kind of problem. Either the protector wasn't completely cut through (scissors would fix that) or they had some other issue.
    Just received some of these today , the cheapo ones £1:50 for 6 (39mm) . I have a 1080p 55" LED tv and just placed a piece of offcut on the tv screen and it completely disappeared apart from the edge which although very thin may or may not be visible when wearing DK2 .Here's a few pics maybe not the best with my S3 mini but give an idea .
  • realdavegerrealdaveger Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    i've ordered 42mm -> too big, i must cut it down to 40mm
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, I ordered these from here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

They turned up earlier on and I've already fitted them. Easy enough to do, simply peel and place - they fitted perfectly I thought..
    Nothing detrimental to the image (I tried just one lens first, checked a demo - didn't notice anything different).

Cheers for the heads up ThreeEyes!
  • HiCZoKHiCZoK Posts: 230
    Art3mis
    Trap wrote:
    nice find, those look cool .. would 38's be best I wonder.. was also trying to find some information
    about the A lens and B.. which lens is best for people that don't wear glasses? does it matter? can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
    40.5 mm is the correct size. Anything more than that and screen protectors will obscure the holding cups and not stick.
    40 is the right choice. No less no more
    HiCZoK wrote:
    Trap wrote:
    40.5 mm is the correct size. Anything more than that and screen protectors will obscure the holding cups and not stick.
    40 is the right choice. No less no more
    Ah crap so my 39 mm are no good then ?
    Hiro Protagonist
    1karl1 wrote:
    Ah crap so my 39 mm are no good then ?

You may want to consider getting the 40mm ones 1karl1. I found they fit on 'just right'
    Trying to put on 39mm one's means the perimeter might not quite be right and you might notice an edge or something when rifting?

I dunno :?:
    But, I do know mine seem ok
    :D

Good luck!!
  • I just left the plastic wrap on that came with the lenses.
    There's scratches & bubbles in them but when being used I cannot tell.

Got a pack of 6 iPad screen protectors for a few quid so got plenty I can cut out if needed.

If these are for watch lenses and require a glue make sure to read the ingredients as per previous posts.
    Watch lens are something I know a fair bit about and they may be making the assumption you're putting these on glass not whatever plastic the rifts are using.

Do we even know what material the lenses are?
    This is essential but using any glue in my opinion.
    Hiro Protagonist
    oAmadeuso wrote:
    I just left the plastic wrap on that came with the lenses.

So did I dude.. I just find these work very well, & that plastic wrap was starting to come off.
    oAmadeuso wrote:
    This is essential but using any glue in my opinion.

No glue needed. I certainly wouldn't have put glue on my lenses either ;)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,062 Volunteer Moderator
    Good find! have placed my order.
    For anyone thinking about trying phone/tablet screen protectors.... I tried, bought the most expensive thinking they were likely to be the clearest but failed!
    They appear clear when they're stuck on the object you're looking at (a phone screen) but when the object they're stuck on is near to the eye (a lens) and the screen you're focusing is further away, they take on a cloudy nature.
    This is probably due to the surface being anti-fingerprint, slightly matt.
    Hopefully these things are better, cheap enough to try and throw away if not!
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
  • NiseiNisei Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've used my vinyl cutter to cut a pair from an iPhone screen protector. Perfect!
    My screen protector wasn't the matte kind and the cheapest I could find: 12 for $0,99 including shipping so that gives me 24 Rift lens protectors for only $0.99 :)
  • KyouKyou Posts: 13
    To anyone who picked up the KlearKare protectors, please do share your experience once you've installed them and gave them time to settle.
  • Just a tip - if buying these in Amazon.co.uk if you order two packs there was no postage added. So 2 x 6 for £3.20 compared to 1 x 6 for £2.22 (£1.60 + £0.62)

I'm refering to the ones from the reddit post in the OP
  • Concrete.CactusConcrete.Cactus Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Just received my DK2 and this is the first thing I did. Used the Savvie ones. They aren't on perfectly in the center because as i was applying them they kind of statically pull themselves towards the lens and I was too afraid to try and take them off again lol. If they do start falling off though I will have a go with the ones you use water with, because they are easier to maneuver if they dont go on properly first time. :D
    Well i've put the 39mm ones on my DK2 and although there's a tiny 1mm gap around the edge of the protectors that doesnt cover the lenses they're fantastic . Had a few tiny bubbles no-matter how much i tried to place the protector on , used a small plastic prying tool (phone cover replacement one) to flatten out as many bubbles as possible , fired the rift up and can't even notice any bubbles . no diffusion whatsoever made a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsuIPcqyZI
  • ThreeEyesThreeEyes Posts: 2,230
    NerveGear
    Kyou wrote:
    To anyone who picked up the KlearKare protectors, please do share your experience once you've installed them and gave them time to settle.

My KlearKares should be here any day now. Will post how it turns out!
  • FWIW, for anyone who needs to cut his or her screen protectors, I had a couple of ultra crystal iPhone screen protectors. I didn't have anything to cut a perfect circle so i just cut approximate sized squares and applied them to the lenses as a temporary solution. In use, I can't see any kind of border, probably because my eyes are centered in the lens and really don't need to look from side to side. YMMV, but in my case I can't notice any difference even with my crudest of "fits".

I did order a set of the watch protectors for a perfect fit once I learned about them in this thread (so i won't scratch the unprotected edges around my square shaped monstrosities :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,062 Volunteer Moderator
    1karl1, good video
    out of interest, do the watch protectors seem reasonably scratch proof?
    I realise it's better to scratch a protector rather than a lens, but I'd rather not have to change a protector too often for risk of scratching the lens in the process!
    no jokes about putting protectors on the protectors please
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.356)
    1karl1, good video
    I realise it's better to scratch a protector rather than a lens, but I'd rather not have to change a protector too often for risk of scratching the lens in the process!
    Yeah they're still looking perfect on my DK2 & i've wiped them with my fingers or whatever t-shirt i've been wearing over the last week when they get foggy . Unless you have razer blades for eyelashes they should last for months .
  • 1karl1 wrote:
    1karl1, good video
    Yeah they're still looking perfect on my DK2 & i've wiped them with my fingers or whatever t-shirt i've been wearing over the last week when they get foggy . Unless you have razer blades for eyelashes they should last for months .
    Either way the lenses will do better with the protectors than without.
    NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 606
    Art3mis
    I just fitted two screen protectors to my 'A' lens. Made them by cutting a circle out for each eye. Pretty simple,much easier to clean, seem to enhance the picture, was able to play ED for 3 hours straight, cheap too!
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • Ash7Ash7 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    My factory plastic is starting to fall off, and so it's time to take the protection plunge! :(

So I'm wondering what the actual size of the A, and B lenses are?

It's been mentioned to get the 40mm, or 42mm covers, but I'd like both my A, and B lenses my to be %100 covered.

I'm looking at this product : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUJ3AF2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1
    Or these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

ANY knowledge from people who have applied lens protection would be appreciated, as I'd like to do this ASAP ;)
    Ash7 wrote:
    My factory plastic is starting to fall off, and so it's time to take the protection plunge! :(

It's been mentioned to get the 40mm, or 42mm covers, but I'd like both my A, and B lenses my to be %100 covered.

I'm looking at this product : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUJ3AF2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_dp_1
    Or these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

ANY knowledge from people who have applied lens protection would be appreciated, as I'd like to do this ASAP ;)

I've got the 39mm ones and still using the same pair after over 5 weeks , 40mm would cover them better but i'm not seeing the edges of my protectors at all when using 39mm with DK2 .
    **EDIT** buy the cheap ones .
  • VercciVercci Posts: 85
    Ash7 wrote:

Get the 40 mm ones, and stop worrying about 100% cover. 42mm is too big, and then shortening em by hand will leave a much less than desirable result, unless you've got some tools that could make a perfect cut out of a regular sheet screen protector in which case you wouldn't bother with the precut methods.

40mm is plenty. You'll have enough of a struggle placing the protectors on the screen "perfectly" as it is.
    NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT
  • Ash7Ash7 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I ended up buying these :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savvies-UltraClear-Protector-circular-Diameter/dp/B00H48H9SC/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

The 40mm fit perfectly, and I applied them to both sets of cups (A, B), and WOW! :o
    There is a BIG difference going from viewing VR through the factory plastic screen covers to the bare lenses lol! :lol:

The only issue I had was that it was hard to tell what side to peel at first, but that's just nit picking ;)
    I used the 2 "spare" covers getting the "process" down before putting them on my DK2, so it's good you get 6.

Hopefully they will last me until the CV1 comes out! :mrgreen: