New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

G-Sync Conflict with Oculus Drivers/Software

IanoIano Posts: 5
NerveGear
edited October 2014 in Support
I purchased a G-Sync compatible monitor and couldn't get it working until I stumbled upon this thread and removed all Oculus drivers/software from my PC.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/754447/geforce-drivers/gsync-and-the-latest-beta-driver-340-43/#reply

Comments

• EvilDuckEvilDuck Posts: 11
    Yea , I have the same problem with my Asus Swift monitor (1440P 144hz G-sync). For me it causes a full system shutdown everytime i start a fullscreen game that will enable G-sync, Major driver conflicts here. So when i want to use my oculus for anything I have to unplug the monitor and instal the runtime , everytime! Its very inconvenient. I realy hope the next SDK fixes this problem... But my guess its not a priority now, since its very few who acctually own a G-sync monitor.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Oh no! I was planning on buying that monitor too.

I have brought this up with the engineering team. Hopefully we can find a fix.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Great to hear cyber! :D Crossing my fingers !
    (btw, it's a fantastic monitor!)
  • I have the Asus vg248qe with the G-Sync board installed and have my DK2 some what working. You'll have to disable G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel in the 'Setup G-Sync' and in the 'Manage 3D Settings' go to the base profile and scroll down and make sure it says 'V-Sync On'.

Granted, I'm still having major issues with the DK2. The config tool repeated either continuously cycles between "not responding" and not recognizing the Rift unit and the camera. The blue light on the camera does not stay on and I think that's the problem that's causing the oculus config to keep crashing or failing to detect the service. I can still the see the extended desktop through the Rift and play Elite Dangerous with it if I kill the service. SteamVR fails to detect the runtime and/or fails to connect to it. Frustrating as all hell.
  • jboycejboyce Posts: 4
    EvilDuck wrote:
    Yea , I have the same problem with my Asus Swift monitor (1440P 144hz G-sync). For me it causes a full system shutdown everytime i start a fullscreen game that will enable G-sync, Major driver conflicts here. So when i want to use my oculus for anything I have to unplug the monitor and instal the runtime , everytime! Its very inconvenient. I realy hope the next SDK fixes this problem... But my guess its not a priority now, since its very few who acctually own a G-sync monitor.

I have the same monitor (the new Asus Swift PG278Q), and am getting identical behavior with my GTX 780Ti. With G-sync enabled my system crashes every time I launch a game in full-screen mode. Uninstalling the Oculus VR runtime fixes the issue; pausing the service does not.
    jboyce wrote:
    I have the same monitor (the new Asus Swift PG278Q), and am getting identical behavior with my GTX 780Ti. With G-sync enabled my system crashes every time I launch a game in full-screen mode. Uninstalling the Oculus VR runtime fixes the issue; pausing the service does not.

Yeah, thats the exact same problem that I have. Im running an Nvidia Titan Black , so we are both on the fully unlocked GK110 core. Don't know if that is information of any significance, but i guess i could be.
  • NarboticNarbotic Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm also experiencing the same issue using the 0.4.1 runtime with an EVGA GTX 780 SC + Asus PG278Q with G-Sync enabled. Uninstalling the runtime is the only way I've been able to get things working. Would love to get this ironed out.
  • Picked up the new ASUS PG278Q Gsync monitor today, running into the same issue with the DK2. Full system restart upon launching most games. I'm running on a GTX 680 / Intel i5. At least it is a easy repro I guess ;)

I can also confirm suspending the VR service does not help. Have to uninstall.

Hope you guys can find a fix for this - other than this bug the monitor is really nice so far! Let me know if you want my full system info or any other information.
  • bobcoberbobcober Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Same issue here

pg278q, gtx 780 ti, oculus runtime cause hard reset upon playing most games.

Uninstalling runtime or disabling gsync solve problem
  • VulcanVulcan Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Any update on this? Been happening to me for a month now and I finally made the connection it was related to the oculus. I suspect there are others like me out there that are just dumbfounded and probably doing OS re-installs.

I'm just disabling g-sync for now because its ridiculous to have to uninstall the driver package each time, however it also ridiculous not being able to use the core feature of my new $800 monitor.
    I will try to bug them about this. I'm trying to get the Asus monitor (it's all sold out), and I'd like this to work.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ElecmanElecman Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Same problem here.

I have an Asus ROG Swift monitor with a 780ti card. Some games work in G-Sync (Outerra), but others crash to a no-signal on monitor and PC completely frozen. All Unity build games crash and Portal 2 crashes as well. Uninstalling the Oculus runtime fixes the issue.

At first I thought it was a game engine issue but now it is clear it is caused by the Oculus runtime.
    For now what you can do is uninstall just the Oculus display driver (NOT the run-time). This should allow you to continue using the Rift in Extended mode only, and also use G-Sync on non-Rift games on the monitor.
    NerveGear
    Anybody try and see if new 344.11 nvidia drivers fix the issue?

Going to try myself later tonight
  • bobcober wrote:
    Anybody try and see if new 344.11 nvidia drivers fix the issue?

Going to try myself later tonight

I just got a GTX 980 to go with my ROG Swift PG278Q, threw on the 344.11 drivers and turned on G-sync just to have every game crash. Tried the beta 344.16 and still had the issue. Glad this thread was here because I couldn't find any other issues and I was getting ready to throw the GPU against the wall.

Didn't see Cybereality's post about just getting rid of the driver instead of uninstalling the run-time soon enough though. :(
  • army3215army3215 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    i had similar issues with my PG278Q but disabling g sync in the nividia control panel eliminated that issue for me, kinda sucks but until g sync updates with a fix.
  • Ascendor81Ascendor81 Posts: 86
    Brain Burst
    Cybereality:

Hold off on the Asus Rog Swift. Acer XB280HK comes out next month, 4K @ 60Hz + G-Sync.
  • Skinny12Skinny12 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    ...are there any news? I hate to use two different setups to use g-sync and the DK2...

Best regards
    Nils
    jscheema wrote:
    Hold off on the Asus Rog Swift. Acer XB280HK comes out next month, 4K @ 60Hz + G-Sync.
    Thanks but I'm not interested in 60Hz 2D. The Swift can do 3D, or 2D at 144Hz. Plus, I'm planning on getting 3 for 3D Surround, and triple 1440p is already pushing it, triple 4K is too much.
  • EastyEasty Posts: 1
    Same issue with me for 344.11 nv drivers and 780ti.

Fisabling gsync in control panel as no effect. still crashes every game.
  • ConzConz Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same here :
    ASUS PG278Q + GTX980 (driver:344.16) on win7 64
    Crashes most games (Direct X) when g-sync is on. Including the g-sync demo by nvidia.

One other question about the PG278Q:
    Since the screen has no 75HZ, which refreshrate do you recommend with the rift as 2nd screen instead? The maximum 144HZ?
    NerveGear
    gsync seems to work with gtx 980 with the oculus driver installed.

using 344.16 drivers and 4.2 oculus runtime.

Only time I had the issue was with gtx 780 ti
  • sofakngsofakng Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Mine doesn't work at all.

I'm using 344.16 with my GTX 980 and if I install the Oculus Runtime (0.4.2) then g-sync doesn't work. If I enable g-sync, then every game crashes and I get flickering lines, etc.

However, if I disable g-sync it works, and if I uninstall the Oculus Runtime then g-sync works again.

EDIT: Uninstalling just the display driver didn't work. I need to uninstall the entire runtime for it to start working again...
  • unmeatyunmeaty Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Well. This is troubling.

I have a ROG Swift due to be in stock in three days, but uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus Rutime every time I switch between the two is not exactly ideal.

Cyber, any idea if this is being looked at on OVR's end? I don't want to drop $800 on a monitor that isn't compatible with 0.4.2, especially since I already have a 27" WQHD IPS monitor capable of OC'ing to 75Hrz as is. I just wanted this thing for the G-sync and refresh rate.

@conz - you can't create a custom resolution to use 75Hz on that monitor through the Nvidia control panel?
    Hiro Protagonist
    unmeaty wrote:
    @conz - you can't create a custom resolution to use 75Hz on that monitor through the Nvidia control panel?

Just tested it.
    I have created a custom 75Hz resolution, but with the test button in the controll panel, the screen is getting no signal. :(
    So it doesn't seem to work.
  • unmeatyunmeaty Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Mmm. That sucks. Cancelling my order, I hope they sort the G-Sync issues out soon, but in the meantime I'll stick with my $300 Korean monitor. Highly recommended for working with Oculus, it OC's to 75Hz no problem.
    @conz: Sometimes you need to pick a lower resolution to enable 75Hz mode (not custom, just look in the drop-down menu). For example 1280x1024.
  • sofakngsofakng Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Cyberreality,

That doesn't solve the problem of 1080p/gsync not working though :(

Installing the oculus rift runtime breaks the nvidia gsync...
    Yes, I understand. The guys here said the only way to fix it is to get a g-sync monitor in the office so we can replicate the issue. And there is a lot of other stuff going on right now, so it kind of got lost in the shuffle. I will try to get on them though cause I would like to see this fixed myself.
    Hiro Protagonist
    @conz: Sometimes you need to pick a lower resolution to enable 75Hz mode (not custom, just look in the drop-down menu). For example 1280x1024.

In non of the resolutions is a refresh rate of 75Hz possible.
    In all resolutions there are only this rates (Hz): 60, 85, 100, 120, 144