cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-Sync Conflict with Oculus Drivers/Software

Iano
Honored Guest
I purchased a G-Sync compatible monitor and couldn't get it working until I stumbled upon this thread and removed all Oculus drivers/software from my PC.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/754447/geforce-drivers/gsync-and-the-latest-beta-driver-340...
40 REPLIES 40

Conz
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
@conz: Sometimes you need to pick a lower resolution to enable 75Hz mode (not custom, just look in the drop-down menu). For example 1280x1024.

In non of the resolutions is a refresh rate of 75Hz possible.
In all resolutions there are only this rates (Hz): 60, 85, 100, 120, 144

sofakng
Honored Guest
What does the Oculus Runtime actually install? (so we might find something we can disable instead of uninstalling/reinstalling everything)

I've uninstalled the driver and it didn't solve the problem, and I also stopped the oculus vr service and it also didn't solve the problem.

Is the runtime installing anything else?

EDIT: I'm looking through logs and it trying to find exactly what is breaking gsync. It looks like Oculus Runtime installs a couple of things:

1) Positional tracking driver (OculusMSI_x64.msi)
2) Display driver (OculusDisplayDriver_x64.msi)
3) Windows service (OVRServiceLauncher.exe)
4) Oculus configuration tool tray item (OculusConfigUtil.exe)

Am I missing anything? What else does the runtime install or modify on the system?

cybereality
Grand Champion
@sofakng: It may work if you uninstall JUST the Oculus display driver (leave the run-time alone).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sofakng
Honored Guest
OK, that works as long as you reboot after uninstalling the Oculus Display Driver.

Is there a way I can disable the driver temporarily without uninstalling it and rebooting?

I'm a little disappointed that I have to install/uninstall the display driver to get Direct HMD mode working 😞

sofakng
Honored Guest
I'm still doing research but it appears as though the Oculus Display Driver installs a DXGI/Video upper filter driver called RiftEnabler. I'm guessing this filter driver is what redirects the video directly to the rift.

The driver doesn't support the stop command (using this tool for testing) so the only option is to uninstall the driver or delete the following registry entry:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}",UpperFilters,0x00010008,RiftEnabler

If you delete the entry, you must reboot or restart the video card driver so it unloads the filter driver. (uninstalling without a reboot doesn't work because the filter driver is already loaded into memory even if the driver files are deleted)

I'm looking at using another tool (devcon.exe) to restart the video card driver to avoid reboots.

Has anybody else researched this problem any further and found an easier solution to temporary disabling this filter driver without rebooting or restarting the video card driver?

outremer
Honored Guest
I am at work, so I haven't had a chance to test this out yet, but it looks like the new Nvidia drivers released today fix this issue!

From the release notes:
(http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/344.48/344.48-win8-win7-winvista-desktop-release-notes.pdf)

Changes and Fixed Issues in Version 344.48
344.11: Having G-SYNC enabled with Oculus Rift drivers installed causes
applications to crash while launching and sometimes causes the system to reboot.
[1556256]

Rejoice! 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome news!!!!
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

sofakng
Honored Guest
Confirmed - fixed!

Just tried Bioshock Infinite (which crashed within 2 seconds every time) and the Oculus Rift built-in demo. Both worked fine and used Direct HMD mode!

outremer
Honored Guest
Tested this out - the instant crash n' reboot seems fixed which is great. However...

I did encounter a few full system crashes/restarts playing Legend of Grimrock 2 today, but only in a certain area and it was after playing for a few hours. I'm about 20 hours into the game and never had crash before, much less full system reboot. I'm currently testing to try to determine if the crash is gsync + DK2 related or not.

Seems plausible that it is, but could also just be the new drivers being unstable or introducing some other bug etc. I'll try to pinpoint the cause.

Either way it is great to see Nvidia actively addressing these bugs and makes me pretty confident any further gsync + oculus conflicts will get ironed out quickly.

Elecman
Explorer
Confirmed. The latest nVidia driver fixes the crash.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?