Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version) - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Titans of Space - A Guided Tour (Original DK1 version)

Comments

• ScsiOverdriveScsiOverdrive Posts: 88
    Brain Burst
    I finally got around to checking out this demo and I'm glad that I did. Fantastic work! :)

It still amazes me just how much of a difference the Rift makes for experiences like this. A couple of times during the demo I took off the headset and looked at my monitor. I wanted to confirm how flat and boring it probably looked (and it did). Putting the headset back on and looking around brought back the feeling of awe. Is this ever going to get old? :)
  • blito3blito3 Posts: 85
    will try this out when I get my rift.....looks great
  • svensven Posts: 339
    Hiro Protagonist
    The calibration at the beginning doesn't work properly for me:
    When it asks me to look straight up, it switches to the next phase before I have looked up very far.
    When it asks me to look straight left, it often doesn't recognize that I do.
    When it asks me to look straight right, it never recognizes that I do and I have to press ESC to continue.
    Does anyone else have this problem? I tested it with v1.32.

PS working on a german translation, I'm just putting in finishing touches
  • usb420usb420 Posts: 291
    anthonyp01 wrote:
    Incredible demo, I did a video on my YouTube channel for those that don't have an Oculus Rift.

http://youtu.be/UZIPH_YBGiQ

thank you sir. Too lazy to install the demo now but I will definitely check this out when I get my rift.
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    drash wrote:
    Man, I think I learn something new every time geekmaster makes a post! :)

In any case, I'm happy to announce that LordJuanlo and those at realovirtual.com have provided a full Spanish translation for Titans of Space. The download link can be found here.

Thank you Juanlo!

Thanks to you for creating this awesome experience!
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,843
    Trinity
    sven wrote:
    The calibration at the beginning doesn't work properly for me:
    When it asks me to look straight up, it switches to the next phase before I have looked up very far.
    When it asks me to look straight left, it often doesn't recognize that I do.
    When it asks me to look straight right, it never recognizes that I do and I have to press ESC to continue.
    Does anyone else have this problem? I tested it with v1.32.

PS working on a german translation, I'm just putting in finishing touches

If you're sure that you're actually facing forward when you hit spacebar, those other up/left/right directions should be around 75-90 degrees away from that forward direction. I know what you mean about it sometimes not "catching", but I have found that it works better if I make deliberate movements to look in each direction instead of smoothly/slowly turning my head. Hope that helps.

Elsewhere in this forum, someone posted an update he made to the Rift SDK that sounds like it greatly improves the magnetometer calibration process, but no word yet on whether it's actually viable and whether it will make it into official SDK.
  • AodhAodh Posts: 8
    My rift is in a UPS depot about 100km from my house and its killing me. I watched this on my 2d monitor and you have nailed the experience my friend - i would nearly risk jail now to get the rift to experience this in all its glory.
    Trinity
    Released minor update v1.33:

Changelog for v1.32 -> v1.33:
    1. Bugfix: Replacing only the music for large stars segment is now working properly.
    2. More small changes to make Titans of Space completely translatable.
    3. Added indicator light (middle left of indicator light panel) to show what quality level Titans of Space is running at. As the quality is reduced to improve frame rate, the color of this indicator will go from greens to yellows to reds to black.

Also:
    New Spanish translation file for v1.33 is available on website.
    MacOS version coming next!
    Aodh wrote:
    My rift is in a UPS depot about 100km from my house and its killing me. I watched this on my 2d monitor and you have nailed the experience my friend - i would nearly risk jail now to get the rift to experience this in all its glory.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that! Hope it arrives soon.
    MY64k wrote:
    My OR works with the Tuscany demo, but not Titans of Space.

Running in full screen mode, I get sound but just a black screen.

Running Windows 8 - 64bit.

I Have an Nvidia Geforce GT-520

Hadn't heard of this one before. I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe try a different resolution?
    Trinity
    German translation is now available for v1.33 on the website. Very grateful to sven for volunteering his time to do this. Thank you sven! :)
  • gonkgonk Posts: 34
    Thanks for the demo... It is awesome! :o
    Trinity
    Added MacOSX support! Download links updated in first post and on website.

I only tested on a 4-year-old Mac Mini -- it worked but ran poorly (20-45 fps, all eye candy shut off), and took a minute or two to load up and "warm up". If it runs great or poorly for you, I would be interested to know what kind of Mac you have.
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    I love your creation drash, but I dont see how could it be a " realistic" space tour without one of these thumb_ufo.jpg flying around... :D
    Backer
    "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
    Trinity
    Thanks to Johan Hägerström, a Swedish translation is now available on the website!

Frito wrote:
    I love your creation drash, but I dont see how could it be a " realistic" space tour without one of these thumb_ufo.jpg flying around... :D

Haha! Maybe in a spin-off! :D
  • PinglesPingles Posts: 155
    Hiro Protagonist
    drash wrote:
    Added MacOSX support! Download links updated in first post and on website.

I only tested on a 4-year-old Mac Mini -- it worked but ran poorly (20-45 fps, all eye candy shut off), and took a minute or two to load up and "warm up". If it runs great or poorly for you, I would be interested to know what kind of Mac you have.

Fantastic! Will try tonight on my 2013 11" Air.
    Art3mis
    Hey Drash, do you think you could add the option to choose which Hydra controller (left or right) we want to use for positional tracking? I'm getting an extra pair of Hydra controllers that I'm planning to take apart. The Half-Life 2 VR mod uses the left hydra for positional tracking, and I'm planning to attach it (without the case) to the Oculus Rift. It would be great to be able to use it for Titans of Space too.
    FirmaRoV.png
  • svensven Posts: 339
    Hiro Protagonist
    Isn't the assignment left vs right controller completely arbitrary and done in software for the Hydra?
    Trinity
    I believe sven is correct, at least as far as the Sixense unity plugin is concerned. If the hydra controllers aren't docked when the application starts, it will automatically kick in with some onscreen instructions to "point right controller at base and pull trigger" and/or "point left controller at base and pull trigger" in order to make the assignment of left vs right. If the hydra controllers were already docked then it knows which one is which when you pick one or both of them up.

So... actually, adding an option to let you decide which hydra controller to use for positional tracking still makes sense if you're unable to keep them assigned the same way each time. But, I have to wonder, if you take apart the controllers just to put the positional sensor on the Rift, how do you plan to deal with hitting the start button or trigger for applications that will bug you about your permanently-undocked hydra controller?
    Art3mis
    Honestly... I still don't know. I've seen some videos and it looks like you can't separate the positional sensor from the rest of the controller, so I should still have functional buttons just for these moments where you need to press any of them. I just want to rip-off the case and we will see how I deal with the docking problem. Both controllers have a magnet inside for it.

My ultimate goal is to be able to put the right controller inside the Top Shot Elite shotgun (the same that you can see in Virtuix Omni videos) and the left controller on the Oculus Rift. I shouldn't need the hydra buttons for gaming, because the shotgun is basically a Xbox 360 controller so it includes everything I need.

Left hydra controller: character positional tracking
    Right hydra controller: weapon positional tracking
    Top shot elite buttons: moving and shooting
    FirmaRoV.png
  • spyrospyro Posts: 338
    Art3mis
    114290707_640.jpg

"MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF STARS."

spyro
  • brantlewbrantlew Posts: 540 Oculus Staff
    @spyro: ha ha! I can't believe we all missed that. :lol:
    Trinity
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the "blue ______ __ _____" at the end! :mrgreen:
  • HolloHollo Posts: 32
    Amazing demo Drash! Scaling down from actual size was a great idea, loved the zoom function, and I actually learned something as well. Definitely one of the best I've experienced so far. 8-)
  • jwilkinsjwilkins Posts: 580
    Art3mis
    When explaining this demo, I've compared it to going to an exhibit or ride at Disney World. It really is that well designed.
    (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻
  • EnthusiastEnthusiast Posts: 31
    thank you for this awesome impressions...i've did several "whoohoooo"' 's during this demo...hoped that my neighbour did not noticed that :P
    Trinity
    Thanks for all the enthusiastic comments! :D

Also, an Italian translation is now available, thanks to Marco F.! Translations are available here. Pretty cool to see what all these celestial bodies are called in other languages.
  • orthonormorthonorm Posts: 1
    Wow, tremendous stuff. Superb experience. Thanks.
  • flyingwaffleflyingwaffle Posts: 179
    Hiro Protagonist
    I enjoyed it a lot!
    It's like having a planetarium at home (even better cause it's in 3D)!
    Great job! :)
  • I have enjoyed showing this to family and friends. Don't have a rift, but it is still a great demo. I would love more demos that are like this. Fun and educational all at the same time! Teaching my nephew about space with this demo was really great.
  • Adding Comets and the asteroid belt while dodging imminent collisions could be a lot of fun.

I can only imagine the sense of scale you get inside the rift.

A demo that takes off from the ground on earth and leaves the atmosphere would be amazing(remembers back to the ride at Disney World). While being able to look down the whole time. With resources like google earth and street view, I imagine someone could make a very realistic launch demo. To really feel that scale, and how small we really are.

I can't wait to experience this in the Rift!
  • athomsonathomson Posts: 3
    Best thing I've seen on the Rift so far, well done. Educational, stunning, and a good introduction (no motion sickness) for newbies. :D

It'd be cool to see it developed further.