cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE4 Rollercoaster [v1.0 Now with real physics!]

Teddy0k
Explorer
Playing with scale in VR, this rollercoaster shrinks you down the size of a mouse and zooms you around a living room!

Download v1.0;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/v4s08nfl9pct339/UE4Rollercoaster_v1_0.zip

To celebrate the release of Unreal Engine 4 I decided to make a rollercoaster! I've been interested in playing with scale in VR (like in my RTS demo), so I thought it'd be cool to see what it feels like to be shrunk down to a tiny size. Turns out it's pretty awesome!

For those of you that are riftless, here's a full playthrough video;

Thanks!

Update v1.0
-Updated to Unreal Engine v4.4.1
-Added fixed timestep simulation to physics to ensure rollercoaster behaves the same at any frame rate
-Added an option to lock the camera's pitch to the track (press c)
-Some more optimizations

Update v0.4
-Added semi-realistic rollercoaster physics, is now a proper gravity coaster
-Adjusted the track to work with real physics
-Changed keypress to Enter key or Gamepad A
-Fixed a bug with the launcher PixelsPerDisplay setting

Update v0.3
-Updated to Unreal 4.3 with Oculus SDK 0.4.1
-Added position tracking support, fixed scaling issues
-Supports Direct Mode rendering, with the output mirrored to the monitor
-Added a front end launcher with graphics settings to help get good performance (I will release this as a standalone plugin soon)
-Optimized the post process code in UE4 for VR
-Added a frame counter to the bottom of the screen if performance is bad

Update v0.2
-Improved spline physics so the rollercoaster is much smoother around corners
-Added a jump over the lamp
-Added a sideways corkscrew at the end
-Added some new sounds
-Ported code to a UnrealEngine plugin to make it easy to share the tools (more on that later)

Editor
I've ported the code for my rollercoaster to an Unreal Engine plugin, so you can make your own rollercoaster with doing any coding!

Download the plugin (supports UnrealEngine 4.6.1)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/az87qdqxc1yqx4s/RollercoasterPlugin_v4_6_1.zip

Source code is up here;
https://github.com/Teddy0/RollercoasterPlugin

Here's a tutorial video on how to set it up and make a simple rollercoaster;

432 REPLIES 432

peterlee
Honored Guest
"thebaddruid" wrote:
I am using URE 4.4.3 and I am having the issue where after merging and putting in the plugin, I can not get any movement from the chair. When I look at the level blue prints, there is nothing there. I am trying to make a simple one speed coaster for a class Demo. I made sure that the game mode had both coaster settings in default. Any help would be great.

Same problem with me... I got stuck on the chair from the 4.4.1 to 4.4.3. So I wonder is there anyone who uses old vesion plugin(from 4.1 to 4.3) just work fine? Aslo, who can download the old vesion plugin from the MEGA? for I can't download.

Magneto
Honored Guest
"thebaddruid" wrote:
I am using URE 4.4.3 and I am having the issue where after merging and putting in the plugin, I can not get any movement from the chair. When I look at the level blue prints, there is nothing there. I am trying to make a simple one speed coaster for a class Demo. I made sure that the game mode had both coaster settings in default. Any help would be great.

Same problem here sadly. I understand the creator might not have time to update or should have to maintain it but it looks like most here haven't even got it working since the changes to physics and UE4.4 updates. I was going to make a cool musical experience without a visible track and stuff. 😞

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hey folks,

If anyone needs help getting started, I've uploaded the full project file for UE4Rollercoaster including all the map with the blueprints;
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q5nb49sx1n1b95w/UE4RollercoasterProject.zip

Hope this helps with your projects!

Magneto
Honored Guest
Thanks, looks like it's all working now. 🙂

DaedraCross
Honored Guest
Wont work for me 😞
I try to run it (DK2) and I get the message
'The program can't start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem.'

Zherkk
Honored Guest
Hey there !

For my company OpenDay, I had the idea to create an oculus rift virtual reality experience on Mars for the visitors, to show them what it feels like to be on the red planet 😛

A few days after having this idea, I came on to this forum and decided to create a rollercoaster then, using Teddy0k's amazing plugin (thank you to him !). The result was not that bad and it had a lot of success during the OpenDay.

Basically, I created a 1min30 rollercoaster ride zipping through the Gale Crater on Mars, which I reconstructed in Unreal Engine 4 from the true Digital Terrain Model (DTM) extracted from ESA's Mars Express satellite images. I uploaded it on Youtube so have a look if you're interested ! Here's the link :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRnn7qnEhSk

I'm using the first version of the plugin, which I modified a bit to include a more realistic acceleration/decceleration depending on the slope of the rail. Apparently looking at the last video you uploaded on youtube, you also improved it (and probably in a much better way than I^^). Anyway, I just wanted to share here my project and if people are interested, I would upload my (messy) code or the packaged project with pleasure !

Coolpool1
Honored Guest
hello when i play i get ass frames i know my pc specs are not well great but the frames im getting are with playing low about 10 fps and on epic well 1 to 3 fps is there a way i can raise this because it happens with all my oculus rift games and im just not having a good time with my rift

specs are and i know there shit but its what i have at the moment

intel celeron (R) 2.16 ghz

gpu intell grapics
i know shit right if there is any thing i can do to boost my fps that would be greatly appreciated

acarrilho
Explorer
"coolpool1" wrote:
i know shit right

Right.

"coolpool1" wrote:
if there is any thing i can do to boost my fps

Nope.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

pluggedin
Honored Guest
I must have tried the original demo when Teddy first released it, and it was cool then, but WOW! The physics changes the experience entirely. I almost feel immersed without the rift on - just looking at my monitor.

davedowson
Honored Guest
"nike258203" wrote:
For some reason whenever I try to run the game, it runs full screen on my monitor without the rift effect. I tried reinstalling all of the latest updates, however it is still not working.

I had that problem - then I used the shortcut to run it - and it starts on the DK2