cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Oculus VR feel when you actually wear it?

keited
Honored Guest
As you can tell from the subject, I have not purchased an Oculus VR yet. However, I am just curious how it actually feels when you wear it. 😄

In 3D movies, the screen is actually showing two different images, and the glasses makes each eye to see different images - which makes the wearer experience REAL 3D.

So, is Oculus VR just working like this (3D movie glasses+screen)? Or, is it just like seeing a screen really close like an inch ahead of your eyes?

In either case, would you please explain how it actually feels in details? That will be very much helpful!

Thank you so much in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Jossos2
Honored Guest
It doesn't feel like a screen at all, it literally feels like wearing goggles and being in another world.

3D movies simply give you a different image per eye. In the rift, big objects look big, close objects look close, and with every slight turn, twitch, tilt, the world stays in place. There is no comparison to 3d movies at all. the insane FOV is also a big game changer.

keited
Honored Guest
"Jossos2" wrote:
It doesn't feel like a screen at all, it literally feels like wearing goggles and being in another world.

3D movies simply give you a different image per eye. In the rift, big objects look big, close objects look close, and with every slight turn, twitch, tilt, the world stays in place. There is no comparison to 3d movies at all. the insane FOV is also a big game changer.

Thank you for your reply! I assume each eye is seeing same image since showing different images would be done by games/movies itself, not by Oculus VR software (or plug-in.. whatever it is called). Am I correct?

Any other thoughts on your experience with Oculus VR? Please share 🙂

Vercci
Honored Guest
"keited" wrote:
"Jossos2" wrote:

Thank you for your reply! I assume each eye is seeing same image since showing different images would be done by games/movies itself, not by Oculus VR software (or plug-in.. whatever it is called). Am I correct?

As long as the experience was designed for stereo view, the eyes see a different image. The screen itself renders one image and each eye looks at once half of the screen.
NZ DK2 Order: May 26, 2014 06:00 PM PDT Status:Delivery Complete

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer
"keited" wrote:
"Jossos2" wrote:

Well, the headset can be heavy over time, but the sense of immersion is simply unreal. When you step into the rift you forget about it's flaws as you step into a new world, and because of how the rift works, you cant tell at all your looking at a screen like 1 1/2 inches from your face.
As for the images, it's basically like how you see normal vision. So it is two different ones, yet they (generally) merge perfectly to replicate normal 3D vision. It's not even like depth at all, it's like actual vision, like your eyes aren't even looking at anything but your new body.
(If your a visual learner, I'll leave this video link here. It's not exactly what I am talking about, but it's basically as vivid as this: http://youtu.be/3JxiSKILjpk?t=3m29s )

In short, it just feels like you have new vision implemented. Not perfect, mind you, but fantastic nonetheless.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?

Jossos2
Honored Guest
"keited" wrote:

Sure. When I started vr, I got that scared feeling from heights, but now I no longer fear heights. I'm yet to test this irl.
I absolutely cannot play dreadhalls. I know the games mechanics and all the monsters, but as soon as it launches I just nope out of there.

u need to remember that each eye is like a camera. in the headset each eye gets a slightly offset image to emulate real eyeworld distance, and thus 3d.

I'l talk about some of my experiences:

Windlands: Wow. I stayed in this for a good many hours before sickness settled in. Being a noob is a magical experience, as I try to hop my way through the obstacles. The scale is colossal, and flying through the air is amazing. Shooting the hooks from my shoulders feels like having magical powers. and of course after each obstacle there's a high point you reach, such as at the top of a giant tree. I just sit there and look around at the land in awe, seeing the progress I've made to get that view.

Minecraft: Holy damn. Without a doubt my favourite Oculus experience thus far. I always liked minecraft, but Minecraft with the oculus is a whole new game. Monsters are scarier, everything is bigger, and building your house and stuff is WAY more rewarding than before. I'm not just placing blocks, I'm designing the physical world around me. Simple things become extraordinary.

Here's a way to imagine in.

Look to the side, and imagine a minecraft zombie as tall as yourself walking out of the shadows towards you.
Imagine looking in the distance and seeing a massive intimidating mountain of colossal magnitude.
Imagine your favourite 3d things, models, animation people, weapons, places, all to scale, all around you, in your face. It literally is THAT. this is why everyone who tries Oculus likes it.

Content still has a way to go, but when it's done well, it's REALLY done well.

get pumped son

vrcover
Explorer
I usually tend to forget wearing the headset, Im just busy being in the other world.

Regardless, the headsets will get lighter and the ergonomics better. When it comes to just the physical side of the hardware, I think one of the biggest things that shows that the tech is still in its infancy is not on the headset, its the crazy non existent cable management.

I don't really mind it but I think it would be good if Oculus would address this for CV1.

wan5
Explorer
The rift is very comfortable considering. I have one buddy who can't use it due to his huge nose, he can't get the rift positioned right for the lenses. Everyone else who has tried it are awe struck by it.

I like to smoke a little pot before rifting, and I've never experienced any sickness using it.

Its not like watching a screen, or even a 3d screen, its just like putting on some swimming goggles. How your eyes work in real life is emulated by the rift. 2 viewpoints are rendered for each eye with a small distance between the cameras giving you the true 3d perspective. You can even close one eye and still perceive depth as you would in real life.

It truly is a wondrous piece of kit I'd recommend to any developer.

Wireline
Explorer
Like wearing a shallow scuba mask while being in a real place.

I seriously need to try world of diving because the DK2 is going to have that nailed 🙂

kafe12
Honored Guest
It felt like wearing an iron mask over your face and surprisingly cool as a helmet. Sometime, took off your rift can be hassle when you stop and need to reach your phone or mug.