cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Oculus VR feel when you actually wear it?

keited
Honored Guest
As you can tell from the subject, I have not purchased an Oculus VR yet. However, I am just curious how it actually feels when you wear it. 😄

In 3D movies, the screen is actually showing two different images, and the glasses makes each eye to see different images - which makes the wearer experience REAL 3D.

So, is Oculus VR just working like this (3D movie glasses+screen)? Or, is it just like seeing a screen really close like an inch ahead of your eyes?

In either case, would you please explain how it actually feels in details? That will be very much helpful!

Thank you so much in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Darius
Honored Guest
It is what some of the others are saying. Wearing a rift places you in another world. It is 'all around you' instead of looking at a screen in front of you. Things get really bizar when you experience one of the cinema apps. It let's you sit in a theater looking at a cinema screen and when a 3D movie is being displayed you are seeing it in beautiful 3D without the dimmed effect of wearing 3D Cinema glasses. That is because you are already are in a 3D environment. The headmount itself feels a bit like wearing scuba-goggles. I very much believe that in the years to come VR will give you the full convincing experience of participating in a movie.

AlricJ
Honored Guest
To me people often overstate certain parts of the Oculus experience.
However, the stereoscopic 3D is not one of them - it is much superior to something like a 3D movie.
You are seeing a different, stable image with each eye - it isn't flickering or halving the frame rate or anything. There's no outside world in your view. You can move your head or viewing angle which gives you extra cues as to depth and scale. You know how big things are and you would be able to touch them if you had virtual hands.

So to me, yes it's like wearing a screen close to my face, but it is certainly not a flat view. It's the best stereo 3D you can easily get.

michealv
Explorer
It's comfortable for me for maybe about 20-30mins, then the nose bit starts to bother me (feels bit sharp).

Wish I could add some padding to the nose bit.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k 3.8ghz (water-cooled) | GPU: G1 980ti 6gb | G.Skill Ripjaw's 16GB DDR3 1600mhz | 28" Samsung LED 4k monitor (60hz display port) )