DarthDisembowel
Protege
UPDATE
Fixed head tracking lag
Highlighted edges of ramps for better visibility
Fixed AI avoidance
Smoothed physics issues
Added title screen and space for health and safety warning

Win32, Win64, Mac, and Linux (Mac and Linux completely untested)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z8wqakgewh59e/TRON
https://share.oculusvr.com/app/tron-light-cycles

Based on the TRON: Legacy film, this game pays tribute to the light cycle arena sequence. There are two levels with connecting ramps. One AI opponent at a time will continuously respawn on death.

Pretty simple and straightforward for now; just try and cut off the AI opponent with your light trails.

Controls (gamepad/keyboard):
Right trigger or W or Up arrow = speed up
Left trigger or S or Down arrow = slow down
Start or R = respawn
Back or Space= recenter view
D-Pad left/right or Q and E = change light cycle color

Known issues:
After a while the head tracking starts to lag for some reason (if anyone has any ideas why, please let me know)
Physics can start to get iffy after awhile, possibly due to distance from center of the world.

Future plans:
Scoreboard
Mulitplayer
Multiple AI
Disc jousting/slashing
Maybe a "Classic" mode using the original bikes and 90-degree turns
39 REPLIES 39

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Thrillhouse900: Yeah I think you're right; if I spam the Start button I start to get the head lag immediately. I can't seem to find any topics about this so far, but I'm still looking. The only case with similar symptoms seems to be related to DX11, but I'm not sure why reloading the level magnifies it, and I need DX11 for the shaders.

Costersall: yes, I will continue working on BOF, I just needed a little change of pace, plus a friend of mine challenged me to see who could develop a new game faster (him in Unreal and myself in Unity). 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
YES

Sneer
Honored Guest
"jayoh" wrote:
YES

Pretty much agree.

Wireline
Explorer
"gibran" wrote:
Very cool! Arena has a nice grand feel to it and the lightcycles look great.

Only strange thing - if I turn my head too quickly, I see a black space while the graphics work to catch up (i.e. if I snap my head to the right, I see a chunk of black space in the right-most area of my visual field). Sometimes this is accompanied by a little bounce, where the visual field overcompensates by going over where I looked and then bouncing back (i.e. if I snap my head up, the visual field will go too far up, then bounce back to the proper location)

. I'm running on a GTX 970 so I don't think my hardware is the issue, but obviously could be wrong on that. Anyone else getting this?

I'm no expert by any means but when I have had that before it has been because timewarp is active but my frame rate has dropped to something very low. As timewarping (IIUC) is a "copying, warping and pasting" of the current frame, extrapolated to where it thinks you will be in a few milliseconds, if it cant get a recent enough frame it runs out of 'picture' to deal with. The result is those black smears. I get it really badly with DCOC and Prepar3d 😞 The only solution appears to be framerate, though it does seem weird given your hardware. Maybe something is throttling graphics performance for some people?

Of course if I am totally off the money, apologies 🙂 I know there are many much bigger brainages around here

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Added keyboard controls:
WASD or arrows for throttle and steering
Q and E for cycling colors
R to restart
Space to recenter view

Thanks Wireline, I will check out the timewarp. Though it is still weird that I only have this problem in this game, and that it increases with every respawn.

zbufferVR
Explorer
Really fun !
I do like the Tron Legacy setup so glad you implemented that 🙂
Looking around to chase the AI is perfect in VR. And the models for body+vehicle are great !

Suggestions for improvements, most important ones first :
- ingame restart indeed adds "view chasing" latency, I hope you will be able to find why is it the case 😞 I do not have real advice, apart from watching out if vsync and/or triple buffering and/or swap chain is enabled only when re-starting ? It is like rendering was buffering more frames, and time warp corrects it so the tracking itself does not lag.
- could the game wait 10 to 20 seconds before starting the lightcycle ? I had times where I could not even avoid the AI due to the screen being covered by that infamous warning I saw waaaay too many times 😕 (of course if restart did not introduce latency, I would not be a problem hehe)
- ramps are very hard to take correctly, in the distance they are almost invisible, maybe more contrasted edges would help ?
- ground texture seem too blurry in the distance, can you force at least 8x Aniso Level?
- not very important, but the control panel of the cycle could benefit from a higher resolution texture. Of course, in game one can not really spend time looking at it 🙂

Is it DK1 compatible ? If you could implement local network multiplayer, we would have a lot of fun playing at home with the DK1 and the DK2 on our 2 computers !!!

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Thanks zbuffervr! 🙂

I'm hoping that fortune smiles on me and that the new sdk will magically fix everything, but I'm not counting on it and I hope to have time this weekend to debug it.

I intend to put in a splash screen on first launch, including a space to display the health warning so it doesn't interfere with the game.

I agree about the ramps,and I plan to highlight the edges much more clearly.

I need to double check the anisotropic settings;I had set them to maximum but I did notice the blurriness recently, and suspect they might have reverted to default values at some point.

At some point I will definitely update the dashboard of the bike, as I want to add a minimap and working speed gauge to it.

This works fine on DK1. I actually started developing it on my DK1, and my DK2 arrived halfway through. I do hope to make this an online multiplayer game, though I've only managed a split screen so far. I had actually been thinking of selling my DK1 until you reminded me I can use it to test MP.

sleep0holic
Honored Guest
I don't know why but I can't seem to get it to open on the oculus 😞

Graemelawrie
Honored Guest
Still cant get the controls to work on the PC?!? Anyone?

Chriz
Honored Guest
Controls not working for me. No keyboard input.