DarthDisembowel
Protege
UPDATE
Fixed head tracking lag
Highlighted edges of ramps for better visibility
Fixed AI avoidance
Smoothed physics issues
Added title screen and space for health and safety warning

Win32, Win64, Mac, and Linux (Mac and Linux completely untested)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/z8wqakgewh59e/TRON
https://share.oculusvr.com/app/tron-light-cycles

Based on the TRON: Legacy film, this game pays tribute to the light cycle arena sequence. There are two levels with connecting ramps. One AI opponent at a time will continuously respawn on death.

Pretty simple and straightforward for now; just try and cut off the AI opponent with your light trails.

Controls (gamepad/keyboard):
Right trigger or W or Up arrow = speed up
Left trigger or S or Down arrow = slow down
Start or R = respawn
Back or Space= recenter view
D-Pad left/right or Q and E = change light cycle color

Known issues:
After a while the head tracking starts to lag for some reason (if anyone has any ideas why, please let me know)
Physics can start to get iffy after awhile, possibly due to distance from center of the world.

Future plans:
Scoreboard
Mulitplayer
Multiple AI
Disc jousting/slashing
Maybe a "Classic" mode using the original bikes and 90-degree turns
39 REPLIES 39

Taser
Honored Guest
"sleep0holic" wrote:
I don't know why but I can't seem to get it to open on the oculus 😞

Tried pressing Windows Key+Left Shift+Left or Right Arrow?

"Chriz" wrote:
Controls not working for me. No keyboard input.

"Graemelawrie" wrote:
Still cant get the controls to work on the PC?!? Anyone?

Did you use the download links at the top of this thread? A link to an older version might have still been available somewhere before it was updated. My initial download didn't have any keyboard response either. I re-installed an updated version and it's definitely working now.

Taser
Honored Guest
DarthDisembowel, another really great effort here. Captures the authenticity very well indeed. Changing the bike's colour was a nice touch. As already said, the ramps are almost invisible until you're almost upon them. I think that's due in part to the limits in resolution, but highlighting the ramps would help a lot. Not sure whether it's worth your while putting in a difficulty level further on down the line. One for newbies, to be able adjust to the heightened sense of motion as I think this version does, and perhaps another for more hard core racers who want more speed and longer light cycle trails.

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Yes, please use the links at the top of the first thread for the latest versions. It tends to take a while to go through the submission process on the Oculus Share site, so I always provide a link to MediaFire for the latest versions.

I will be updating the version tonight; I fixed the head lag issue and added clear edge highlights for the ramps which make them much easier to see. I'm just going to try to throw in a quick splash screen and a space for the health and safety warning before submitting.

As for the longer trails, it is actually a performance issue; I just did a quick test by doubling the trail length, but I lose 10 fps in framerate, so until I find a more efficient way to do this, it's not worth the cost in performance.

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Updated all versions on MediaFire and resubmitted to Oculus Share (will take a few days to go through the validation process on the Share site).

I added a quick splash screen on first launch (press Start on gamepad or Space on keyboard to start game) including a space for the health and safety warning.

I fixed the head lag bug, added a landing sound effect after a jump, fixed some AI avoidance issues, smoothed out some physics issues, doubled the maximum speed, and highlighted the edges of the ramps and ramp openings for better visibility.

Taser
Honored Guest
Excellent improvements. The newly highlighted ramps have now been turned into opportunities rather than hazards. The increase in speed is much better, the noise during acceleration, and the noise that the bike makes at different speeds hasn't gone unnoticed either. That, combined with the pounding soundtrack, really takes care of the audio side of things. That feeling of banking the bike really hard, whilst looking back at your own light cycle trail is sensational. The longer the cycle trails in my view, the less the need for an actual opponent, so I think the trail length that you currently now have in relation to the size of the arena is getting pretty well balanced as it is. Again in my view, it would make for a longer, more entertaining game in multiplayer anyway, rather than being over too soon. Plus, it negates the need to impinge upon the frame unnecessarily. You're making a habit of surpassing yourself. 😉

Taser
Honored Guest
DarthDisembowel, thought I should point out that there's a hole in the upper level. Doing a direct 180 degree turn from the starting position, it's around the ramp that's positioned towards the opposite side of the arena on the left as you're approaching the far side. The bike falls through the same spot every time. Also, I'm curious as to what frame rate you're getting on this current version. I'm getting around 60-61 fps. If you're still getting 75 fps with the longer trails, then I'll have to make adjustments to my own system.

zbufferVR
Explorer
Great improvements in this last version ! The title "screen" is super nice, and the lag gone yoohoo !

That feeling of banking the bike really hard, whilst looking back at your own light cycle trail is sensational

Exactly ! And going super fast on the ramps allow you to really fly, it provides a very nice feeling.

The ramps are now almost too easy to see 😄 ... In the film I think that the there are highlights only on the actual edges, and not between the horizontal upper ground and the part that goes down. Not sure if I am clear, but the top highlight should not make a full square.

About the texture filtering : it now looks like proper 16x aniso, but I see that even in the "fantastic" setting, it is only bilinear filtering instead of trilinear. As the view is really near the ground, trilinear would really improve the aniso filtering.

No real framerate issues, the game is quite smooth with my oldish GTX 460M.

I also spent some time in the "afterdeath" camera, trying to chase the AI to see the models better : would it be possible to make that cam not collide with any cycle trail ?

Even if the current AI is not hard to beat, this game is already plenty of fun. With multiplayer, it would be a real blast !

Edit: a minor nitpick, when pressing start button on title screen, the wireframe sphere fades in (great !) then on my machine the images freezes for a second without head tracking, right before getting on the light cycle. Is it possible to black out instantly the image before loading the arena level, to avoid this loss of head tracking ?

aerosteak
Protege
Very nice job! This is getting better and better!

Only a couple of suggestions, though:

- The bike engine sfx doesn't loop right, there is a small "click" every 1.5 second (I can help you edit that with pleasure, feel free to ask)
- Another couple of opponents would be great, and if the trails would last much longer it would add a bit of difficulty to the game.
- You could use the "screen' on the bike (sorry but my english is lacking) to display some infos such as score, etc...

Anyyway, huge thanks and keep up the good work!

damian3k
Honored Guest
Hello. Great job! Is it the same game http://www.t3.com/news/developer-unveils-oculus-rift-powered-tron-lightcycle-simulator or its completely another project?
VR ONE Home of Virtual Reality Solutions http://www.vrone.pl

DarthDisembowel
Protege
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, they're all going on my list. 🙂

Taser: thanks I'll look into that. I've never encountered this hole. I used to fall through from time to time but it was at random places due to lag and physics precision. I haven't fallen through since the latest fixes.

Damien3k: no it is a completely different project. I wish I had that bike peripheral though!