cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Body Awareness Test(s) [testers needed]

gannebamm
Honored Guest
Hi Oculus VR Developers!

If you think of VR experiences you maybe think about first person experiences. Looking (without a Rift yet) at the demos which are presented here I was interested in getting a kind of "ultimate" full body awareness setup which could be used as basis for us.
I started some tests without VR in mind in which I tried a different way than usually:
    standart way to achieve FBA in games:
  • you are a floating camera with some body parts rendered as your feet

• your arms with items in it are most of the time a separate mesh

• to accompany the narrow fov of a monitor your arms are placed to high so you will see them rendered

This way was working quite well but I asked myself why not use a whole 3d model with animations and everything and place a camera "where the eyes are". Many issues where found, eg. to much "headbob"-camera shake due to animations and such and some more. After quite a while of thinking I found some interesting solutions for that issues and would like you to test my efforts with a Rift headset.

Be warned, I was not able to test any of these with a rift. Many glitches and input issues could be present - I am sorry for that.

Variant A:
fba rig with RiftInput moving your head (and parts of your upper body to accompany the headmovement). Mouse will turn your character itself.

Variant B:
fba rig with mouse turning your avatar and look up/down (with headmovement accompanied by upper torso movement). This could be tested without a rift though it currently uses the stereo rift display.

Downloadlink: http://solarexpltest.square7.ch/
there are two .zip files

How do you built FBA mechanics? Do you have better ideas how to achieve a rich experience here? I am eager to read your thoughts!

yours
gannebamm
9 REPLIES 9

SiggiG
Protege
I've done some tests with a static full body with cameras where the head is, and it's eerie having the Rift on your head and sit in the same position as the VR avatar. You get the feeling it's your body and when you move your hand you expect the virtual one to move as well.

I'm really looking forward to playing with my Leap Motion kit next month, I think that's going to be kick ass for VR!
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG

lordvtp
Protege
Wow, that was interesting.... :shock:
First Impression: this feels surprisingly natural.
Second Impression: Why can my head spin 360 on my neck?
Thirst Impression: Why is it when my body turns my view is unaffected?

When moving forward seeing the full body presence with animation plus the variance caused by movement over terrain felt quite good.

gannebamm
Honored Guest
"lordvtp" wrote:
Wow, that was interesting.... :shock:
First Impression: this feels surprisingly natural.
Second Impression: Why can my head spin 360 on my neck?
Thirst Impression: Why is it when my body turns my view is unaffected?

When moving forward seeing the full body presence with animation plus the variance caused by movement over terrain felt quite good.

Oh Sorry for #2 and #3!
Since it seem to feel nice I will dig into the code and fix those issues.
thank you very much for a first impressions text and your time and effort to dive into the FBA rig.

just for the curious:
It is the tuscany scene with an unity bootcamp soldier as avatar. just dummy models and animations.

edit: have you "felt" your nose while looking around? it actually gets rendered aswell

lordvtp
Protege
I didn't notice the nose before, but now that you mention it, it a very nice touch, however I could only see it out my right eye. :lol:

SiggiG
Protege
Interesting test and very interesting to see the nose 🙂 Btw. your camera center is a bit off, when I look behind me I can see the face/eyes themselves. I'd remove the head mesh but keep the nose parented to the camera and keep parts of the neck.
CCP Games, EVE: Valkyrie developer | @SiggiGG

lordvtp
Protege
Yes to the mesh removal, but leave the helmet and straps, those add a nice flair.

gannebamm
Honored Guest
An update will take some more time since i'm currently busy with an other project.
For those interested I have a non Rift version, too. Shall I upload that one, too? It is basicly the same but without the new flaws from not proper Rift integration (but some other minor flaws).

ToDo List for Rift FBA:

• don't render the complete head but just some parts of it (eg. stuff like helmet, nose, straps)

• find the perfect middle position for the cameras

• eliminate the jerkyness through FixedUpdate, LateUpdate, Update and ScriptExecutionOrder tweaks

• add avatar rotation to head rotation (attach it properly)

KrisRedbeard
Explorer
Plan on producing a similar test, but based on the UDK.
Already have all the viewpoint stuff and even the free looking good to go.
Just need the Rift 😛

The is an older method, with the camera placed behind the eyes, rather then at their actual location. This offset gives the player greater peripheral vision. The head tracking supports comes from using the SeeingMachine's FaceAPI, as this was before the Rift was announced. It also stops the head and anything attached to it from being rendered to the owners viewpoint.

This is the latest method, placing the camera on a separately animated bone. This bone is hand smoothed by the animator and can be offset for various actions, such as leaning and peaking. I toyed with using code to smooth it out, but the results were never as good or as accurate as I hoped, though it could have been my implementation.

With free looking, it is important to rotate and offset the neck, not just the head.
Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Interesting work. I can definitely feel more immersed when seeing the body when I look down. The control itself seems like it needs work, but its promising. I think I liked mode A better, the B version was a little strange for me (like distortion when looking around). Not bad, though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV