cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 Ghosting?

TWhite
Explorer
Hello all,

Have my DK2 now for over 1 week and really enjoying it. For the most part all expected situations are running optimally. There is however one thing I have noticed that is really bothering me and I'm not sure if I am alone in this regard or what. Basically, I am seeing ghosting on my DK2. It occurs screenwide and in all demo's, but the conditions of which it is visible are different from situation to situation.

The best way to see the ghosting is to use Virtual Desktop, go to http://www.google.com, and with the giant Google logo in the middle of the white page, rotate your head around in a circular motion. Watch the logo and how it seems to have a ghost image almost like a Powerpoint transition effect, spinning around the logo opposite from your head.

Anyone else finding this?

Update: Ugh now I feel dumb. Apparently this was from a lack of low persistence. It doesn't look like the typical full persistence motion blur, this looks like a sharp ghost image following the images in Virtual Desktop. Very odd. Somehow I enabled low persistence with Virtual Desktop by toggling off the "High Quality Distortion" and now that I have LP, I don't get the ghosting anymore. So strange.

It has nothing to do with Low Persistence. It is caused by the OLED panels. Low Persistence actually makes the ghosting more visible because instead of motion blur you get a sharp ghost image.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780
9 REPLIES 9

TWhite
Explorer
I really don't like doing this, but I feel I need to. This is NOT related to Low Persistence. In fact, having Low Persistence enabled actually makes the ghosting MORE visible because instead of just having a mess of blur all over, instead you get these sharp clear ghost images.

Any time I move my head around and there is a contrast and color difference between two objects, I see it ghosting behind. This is incredibly annoying and once I noticed it I can't un-notice it ever again. Please if you witness this phenomenon please reply here. I don't want to think my DK2's screen is malfunctioning or something else is wrong with it.

The quickest way to test it is:

- Be in direct mode
- Open the Oculus Demo Scene with the desk and the lamp
- Look at the inside of the lamp and move your head around
- Watch for the ghost image of the rim and surrounding blue to appear inside the lamp opposite the direction you are moving your head

TWhite
Explorer
Please could SOMEONE respond to this topic with their insight? I fear for the condition of my DK2.

Godmademedoit
Honored Guest
I noticed this in the Tuscany demo when looking at a tree, got quite a clear ghost image either side while moving my head. I assumed this was the "black smearing" effect I'd heard talk of but it was quite pronounced and didn't look good at all.

Fredz
Explorer
I experience this as well.

From John Carmack :
"the current panels have an annoying one frame ghosting issue, but it is a HUGE improvement over previous options."

Jedi2016
Honored Guest
Nice to know nothing's happening. I was worried because I didn't notice it until yesterday, I've had the Rift for a couple of weeks now.

TWhite
Explorer
"Fredz" wrote:
I experience this as well.

From John Carmack :
"the current panels have an annoying one frame ghosting issue, but it is a HUGE improvement over previous options."

This is quite comforting and even though it doesn't make the ghosting go away in my mind, I will not be bothered by the thought that something is wrong with my DK2. That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

mbbmbbmm
Honored Guest
"godmademedoit" wrote:
I noticed this in the Tuscany demo when looking at a tree, got quite a clear ghost image either side while moving my head. I assumed this was the "black smearing" effect I'd heard talk of but it was quite pronounced and didn't look good at all.

So there seem to be two distinct ghosting issues (?) Because when I look at the trees in the Unity Tuscany demo the ghosting is there, but when I do the same in the Oculus World Tuscany demo it is not. So this particular ghosting can't have anything to do with the screen itself.

Fredz
Explorer
"mbbmbbmm" wrote:
So there seem to be two distinct ghosting issues (?)

There is a “2-frame-rise-delay” artifact as explained in this presentation (pp. 31-37).

From the presentation it looks like the ghosting and the black smearing (purple trail) both come from this unique problem.

"mbbmbbmm" wrote:
Because when I look at the trees in the Unity Tuscany demo the ghosting is there, but when I do the same in the Oculus World Tuscany demo it is not.

Maybe the Pixel Luminance Overdrive correction has not been ported to Unity yet. That or you're using D3D9 or OpenGL or you don't have v-sync enabled. The fix is only supported with D3D10/11 and depends on v-sync. Also it doesn't work in all situations, so it may be because of a difference in the colors used between the Unity and C++ versions for this specific rendering.

"mbbmbbmm" wrote:
So this particular ghosting can't have anything to do with the screen itself.

It has to do with the screen in any case.

mbbmbbmm
Honored Guest
"Fredz" wrote:
"mbbmbbmm" wrote:
So there seem to be two distinct ghosting issues (?)

There is a “2-frame-rise-delay” artifact as explained in this presentation (pp. 31-37).

From the presentation it looks like the ghosting and the black smearing (purple trail) both come from this unique problem.

Thanks for the link!
I already watched the video but only listened "with one ear" and did not register that part.

"Fredz" wrote:

Maybe the Pixel Luminance Overdrive correction has not been ported to Unity yet.

Maybe...

"Fredz" wrote:

It has to do with the screen in any case.

Yes, you're right. Sorry for being imprecise and incomplete in my phrasing. What I wanted to express is something like: The problem is obviously not unfixable/unavoidable.
Just how?