cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DK2 vs Colorcross/GS3 + Tuscany + Side by side ///Shocked

deezdrama
Honored Guest
So...

After I put in an order for the DK2 back in early August, I knew I had a long wait but wanted to experience some VR so ordered the google cardboard and soon after I found a plastic china made version on ebay called colorcross for around $40.
I played around with the colorcross for a few days and it was pretty cool but I wasnt blown away and so here it sat in my desk drawer untill this morning.
I have had my DK2 for a week or more now and have tried about every demo out there and had alot of time to play with it and mess with settings etc... So I remembered this morning after running tuscany demo on Dk2 - that I remembered also playing that demo on the colorcross on my old galaxy S3 so thought it would be fun to load both versions up and do a side by side to see how much better the DK2 was than the colorcross/old phone.

To keep from babbling ill just try to get to the point, Instead of laughing the colorcross off as inferior I was shocked when comparing them side by side that the phone version of Tuscany seemed to have much more vivid colors and even more detail than the DK2 version. I also was surprised how with the cheap china lenses of the colorcross I could see all the way to the edges clearly! The DK2 version also seemed more washed out.
Now dont get me wrong , the DK2 is amazing and its head and positional tracking are miles beyond anything Ive tried on my phone but this old galaxy S3 is only 720p so would really like to try a higher spec'ed phone.
But yeah, the resolution is lacking on the phone and framerate is horrible but also noticed I never got that queezy feeling I get everytime im running around in Tuscany on DK2, but I think maybe that has to do with the tracking being so much smoother and more lifelike in the DK2 and that my brain is tricked more into thinking im really in this world and that my body is rapidly moving around when it really is not.

The colorcross is cheap and very uncomfortable but the clarity of the images just really surprised me. It seems on the dk2 only a circle about 40% the size of the lense in the center is clear and things any further out towards the edges are a muddy mess.
Im not talking trash about the DK2 or affiliated with the colorcross, it was just some impulse buy I made and its cheap and hurts to wear longer than 10-15 min, also I dont even think its sold anymore but was just shocked how clear the image was in the entire FOV.

On the DK2 I ran Tuscany in extended and yes was getting full 75 fps with no judder.
Again im not bashing or talking bad about the DK2 , just sharing my experience and wondering why the DK2 lenses seem so blurry at the edges when this cheap contraption has a crystal clear image spanning entire fov (although its apparent FOV could be smaller I understand this)
Ive also spent hours measuring my IPD with digital calipers and using oculus config, and also measured the IPD distance of the colorcross once I had it set (adjustable IPD on it) so its not a misconfiguration of the DK2.

Anyway ..... here is some side by side pics.

One last time... Im not knocking the DK2 - its miles ahead of this little device, Im just shocked and wondering why this other things lenses are so clear over the entire fov compared to the DK2 and why the DK2 version of tuscany seems kind of washed out and less vivid.
18 REPLIES 18

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
DK2 has an estimated 100° FOV. What would you guess ColorCross's to be?

TWhite
Explorer
DK2 is 106 degrees vertical and something like 87 degrees horizontal, maybe less.

Honestly, these DK2 lenses are junk, really really bad. If there was one improvement I'd hope for more than any other in CV1, it's high quality lenses. The sweet spot on that colorcross is just amazing, the whole image is sharp. I have to have my DK2 lenses touching my eyeballs to get that much sharpness out of it, and even then it still doesn't look that good.
CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 780

deezdrama
Honored Guest
Id say around 85-90. I think it would be wider if you could get the screen a few mm's closer to the lenses so that your seeing all screen and not the phone and dividers at the edges.

deezdrama
Honored Guest
"TWhite" wrote:
DK2 is 106 degrees vertical and something like 87 degrees horizontal, maybe less.

Honestly, these DK2 lenses are junk, really really bad. If there was one improvement I'd hope for more than any other in CV1, it's high quality lenses. The sweet spot on that colorcross is just amazing, the whole image is sharp. I have to have my DK2 lenses touching my eyeballs to get that much sharpness out of it, and even then it still doesn't look that good.

This has been my experience exactly! Glad im not alone, i felt bad that my $400 dk2 was opticaly outperformed by a cheap $20 ebay item. I hope a 3rd party steps up to grind some good glass for the dk2's.

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
"TWhite" wrote:

I was going by the 100 degree estimate. How'd you find out it's 106?
"Ultra Wide Field of View
The Oculus Rift provides an approximately 100° field of view, stretching the virtual world beyond your peripheral vision."

You all and these lenses! Argh! Was going to ask for one for Christmas, but not when they've yet to get the(one of the, at least) most important parts right!

"deezdrama" wrote:
Id say around 85-90. I think it would be wider if you could get the screen a few mm's closer to the lenses so that your seeing all screen and not the phone and dividers at the edges.

Thanks! Hmmm... I think I may go ahead and use this AB plastic and goggles I have. Bought a 7" screen and controller board, a while ago. Sounds like the Colorcross needs some adjusting.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
I have a Note 4 and am eagerly waiting for the Gear VR but now i'm a bit worried that the lenses are not that great either.

But i read that the FOV is smaller and rounder than that of DK2 and therefore maybe have a wider sweet spot.

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
Been looking at the ColorCross more. Think I'm gonna bite.

$20.99: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Video-Glasses-Universal-Google-Virtual-Reality-for-4-7-Smartphones-/30137...

This Ritech3d looks interesting: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I19qwNdD9S8

It has a magnet on the side.(edit: I think that person may have added that magnet.)

$19.88: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Android-IOS-Windows-Mobile-Cell-Phone-3D-Video-Virtual-Reality-Goggl...

GalaxyDollVR
Honored Guest
Deez, have you tried removing the lenses and putting them on the other side like this?: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcNRudoRGU

deezdrama
Honored Guest
"GalaxyDollVR" wrote:
Deez, have you tried removing the lenses and putting them on the other side like this?: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcNRudoRGU

Good find!

ill have to try it but affraid the lenses will then be too far away from your eyes.

The best solution I think would be to have the lenses where they are are suppossed to be but bring the screen closer to the lenses so you dont see the edges of the phone and so much of the divider.

I also wanted to try the colorcross lenses taped in the dk2 but havnt got around to it.