cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous

bigmike20vt
Visionary
holy hell guys.......... I sm going to sound like a screaming fanboy now but....

I got ED working. No idea why, it just worked when this morning it didnt. it must have been me rushing. but cripes.

This is THE best gaming WOW moment I have ever experienced.

You know that notion of building up a tolerence in the rift... that went right out of the window just with pushing 2 hrs solid in there.

everything is so BIG you just do not get a sense of scale on a monitor (and that is coming from someone who games on a 70 inch)

If I was going to be objective (tough i know!) the resolution is still not ideal, with not all text being usable. This should be fixed for CV1 however. Also the FOV is not an issue in this game because you would wear a helmet anyway right?

I love the rift, and this game is certainly going to be one of the all time greats in it. Any one who owns a rift has to get ED.... should everyone with ED buy a rift? I dunno, maybe not, but they should certainly have a go on a friends and then make their own mind up.

PS I have an ok spec PC, with a heavily overclocked GTX 670 but I run ED on low settings. I will wait till my next gpu before i ramp that up.

oh and if you put your stick roughly where your avatar has his, the tracking on it is perfect so much so i was grinning just waggling my stick!. It was so convincing after a while, so much so when i dropped something off my desk for a couple of seconds i was looking on my cockpit floor for it!!!.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
772 REPLIES 772

markkane
Honored Guest
"sotti" wrote:
So how much game is there to Elite at this point?

Is it a big MMO sandbox?

Is there some progression to follow?

So far the rift has a lot of cool stuff, but the only real modern game (excluding old modded titles, q2vr, hl2) is Alien Isolation which gives me nausea after 30 minutes. Cockpit games, mostly racing, work really well.

$75 for beta access seems awfully steep, I'd just like to know a little more about how it plays before I take the plunge.

It is already a very complete game and just keeps growing with every update. It is singleplayer, but there's no campaign or storyline that I know of - just a load of things to see and do. Yeah sandbox describes it pretty well. The game throws you as a pilot in a huge galaxy and you decide your path yourself. Pirate, trader, miner, bounty hunter, explorer, pick (or mix and match) your own adventure.

ED is no MMO. There is online multiplayer, but matchmaking is a bit rough. Open play runs in instances and it can be a bit hard to meet up with friends if you don't start out in your own group game. Hopefull they'll fix that.

As for price, just wait a little while if you're not sure. The final game will ship before the end of the year and be quite a bit cheaper.

For me Elite is the best Full game for the Rift yet. AI also is amazing, but Elite is even cooler. My jaw literally kept hitting the floor on a regular basis during my first few weeks with the game and even today I regularly stop and stare amazed at the sights this game presents me.

To sum it up, if you're into space at all and have a beefy PC you owe it to yourself to give this a shot. Be warned that you will need a high end GPU to currently enjoy this with the DK2 though. Below GTX 970 performance level you're likely to have probelms running anything but the lowest settings.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Elite Dangerous is one of my favorite Rift experiences right now. Having a proper HOTAS setup and the DK2 makes the cockpit feel very comfortable and I can fly for many hours straight. Looking around the cockpit and having menu's pop up everywhere is an awesome touch. The flight model was pretty easy to pick up and being able to manually dock at stations makes landing a very fun part of the game.

This game is already awesome in the beta state, and it will only get better. I don't regret the beta purchase at all.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

razalom
Explorer
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Having a proper HOTAS setup and the DK2 makes the cockpit feel very comfortable and I can fly for many hours straight.

Tried it on my DK2 for the first time late last night (only had DK2 4 days) and straight away I was off to Purchase the X55 HOTAS. Wonder if my wife will notice it 🙂

JohnnyLee
Explorer
"Gods3nt" wrote:
Not sure how many of you are familiar with me on the Elite forums but I play this often, and I have to say that even playing on the monitor is mind blowing. What I've read so far here makes me cringe about not having my Oculus yet. Oh and I've even started making videos showcasing this game, the first one is still uploading. I mean it's only a 22gb file with 50 something hours to go. :lol:

OMG dude. You're going to freak when you play this on your DK2. Words cannot describe it but hands down THE best gaming experience I have ever had in my 55 years planetside. The repeated "holy sh%$" comment someone else mentioned here when they tried E:D on the Rift?? Yeah, that's what I kept saying as well. It's going to knock your socks off! You'll see.
John 14:6   <--- (About 7 seconds after you clock out, you'll find out if Jesus meant what He said...)

acarrilho
Explorer
"JohnnyLee" wrote:
"Gods3nt" wrote:
Not sure how many of you are familiar with me on the Elite forums but I play this often, and I have to say that even playing on the monitor is mind blowing. What I've read so far here makes me cringe about not having my Oculus yet. Oh and I've even started making videos showcasing this game, the first one is still uploading. I mean it's only a 22gb file with 50 something hours to go. :lol:

OMG dude. You're going to freak when you play this on your DK2. Words cannot describe it but hands down THE best gaming experience I have ever had in my 55 years planetside. The repeated "holy sh%$" comment someone else mentioned here when they tried E:D on the Rift?? Yeah, that's what I kept saying as well. It's going to knock your socks off! You'll see.

Yeah, it really is something else. For perspective, I'm running a G3258 oc'd to 4.4 (amazing value for money), and a GTX970, and while it's still under 75fps around space stations on medium settings, I can pretty much always get 75fps (even in high sometimes) in "deep space", and right now with Beta 3, some places are just mind-blowing. Being near one of those Earth-like planets, with the Milky Way aligned just right, it simply killed all desire to play anything on a flat screen anymore. It's like monitors belong in the middle ages now, at least for gaming. And that's with a noticeable screen door effect. Here's hoping Oculus develops something like a replacement kit for a 1440p screen... :mrgreen:
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Serzhas
Honored Guest
I have updated to BETA 3 and 0.4.3 version of Oculus Runtime, and now I'm experiencing strange graphical glitches playing on my DK2: instead of black color I see reddish tint, plus vertical screen tearings here and there. Overall performance is good, however this graphical issues looks ugly... Prior to 0.4.3 everything was OK.
I'm running GTX 970 SLI, i7-950, 12 GB, Windows 7 64-bit. Latest (vanilla) nVidia drivers. Other games and demos I have tried runs and looks OK, so this is Elite: Dangerous specific issues. Also, I have tried capturing screenshots, and everything is OK on them, so this is something to be with Oculus Runtime, I believe... Any suggestions?
Thanks!

UPDATE: I just have traced problem to SLI. With disabled SLI everything look normal. Also, my single Asus STRIX 970 GTX is able to run maxed out Elite with 70 FPS on Rift (SSAA is 1.5 in settings.xml). While SLI setup showing roughly 75 FPS with 95% load on BOTH GPUs... And those graphical glitches...

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
"razalom" wrote:
"ThreeDeeVision" wrote:
Having a proper HOTAS setup and the DK2 makes the cockpit feel very comfortable and I can fly for many hours straight.

Tried it on my DK2 for the first time late last night (only had DK2 4 days) and straight away I was off to Purchase the X55 HOTAS. Wonder if my wife will notice it 🙂

Nice call man! When you line up the controls to match what you see in the game it is a pretty awesome experience. The hand animations give me a funny feeling because it feels like my hand should be doing what I am seeing :lol:

I hope you enjoy!
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Nosher
Protege
Please help.....I am at my wits end!!

I got ED to work by chance last night after over an hour of struggling to get it set up.....really impressed...HOWEVER....

.......today, now I have got my joystick plugged in (tried with mouse flight yesterday - yuk!) I have been unable to get it working at all.

I have 3 monitors and DK2 is display 4.
Surround is switched off
I have 2 x 970s - SLI is diabled.
I run DK2 in extended mode.

I have managed to get one of the monitors showing ED and when I move the DK2 around, the movement is mirrored on that monitor.....

I have tried the shift / windows / arrow key but no joy.

I have trawled various forums....no joy.

Tried numerous ways....no joy.

Things is, i KNOW it works - cos it did last night......and that is what is so frustrating....

Can someone please help me and save me from insanity !

Thanks in advance.

Nosh

acarrilho
Explorer
"Nosher" wrote:

I got ED to work by chance last night after over an hour of struggling to get it set up.....really impressed...HOWEVER....

.......today, now I have got my joystick plugged in (tried with mouse flight yesterday - yuk!) I have been unable to get it working at all.

Surround is switched off

I have managed to get one of the monitors showing ED and when I move the DK2 around, the movement is mirrored on that monitor.....

Things is, i KNOW it works - cos it did last night......and that is what is so frustrating....

Thanks in advance.

Nosh

First thing I can think of is that you have the wrong monitor selected in the graphics menu.
G3258 @4.4MHz GTX970 8GB RAM Windows 7 64

Tindajii
Honored Guest
"Nosher" wrote:

Surround is switched off

Thanks in advance.

Nosh

Nosh,
First, you need to go into your graphics settings in Elite Dangerous. Near the top there will be a selection for which monitor you're using. You should set that (primary, secondary, tertiary, etc) to which ever position your rift is in. ALSO, make sure you then change the refresh rate to 75hz. You likely won't be able to set the refresh rate to 75hz unless the rift is on, and you have that monitor selected. Make sure Aero is disabled too.

Before I start Elite Dangerous, every time, I open the Oculus Configuration Utility, turn on my rift, and make sure it recognizes the camera. Then I start the game.

Note: If you do not have your Rift on, Elite Dangerous will not give you the option to turn on Rift mode.