cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Enmark
Expert Protege
Hi. im Swedish guy with early dreams of VR since i first tried the "Virtuality" arcade machine "Nightmare" later called "Dactyl Nightmare". My goal is to bring my childhood dream back from the dead, for the historic value and because it was a lot of peoples first VR experience!

I have gain the original Programer and graphic designers blessing to recreate the game. but have failed to reach the actual owner of the Game.

The game will be Free of charge and should NOT be redistributed without my knowledge.

Everything is built from scratch and is measured by eye sight from this lone clip!
all 3D work is made in sketchup and all sound effects are taken from the original videoclip.

201 REPLIES 201

Enmark
Expert Protege

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome work! Seems faithful to the original.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Enmark
Expert Protege
Thanx. i really wish i had more skills in java and Unity. im painstakingly learning by doing and still cheat my way thou the process. still using plenty of mechanics instead of real game programming :oops:

soveryold
Honored Guest
you're doing a very good job .. i designed and produced all the graphics for the original game .. which i'd like to add wasn't originally created as a 'game' - it was actually our first ever test environment (when virtuality was still just w-industries) .. which then 'morphed' into a game - the minimal background was to help framerate, the pillars and shapes for draw-sorting, the steps for static collisions, the bullets for.. well, you get the idea, anyway .. i think the dactyl was the only thing that wasn't added for any particular purpose :0) .. answering some of the comments i've seen on here .. yes it was a proper 3D environment, i don't think the headsets were running stereo at the time, but the tracking was definitely 6dof, i can only apologise for the headset res, the frame-rate and the realism of the graphics (lack of), but remember the tech and the tools were all very basic back then :0)

Enmark
Expert Protege
soveryold: Love to hear from you! i really want to thank you for this new insight and view, in the making of the original "nightmare" game.
I always found it confusing to see why there was this first version and then later in all arcades the second version with some more game elements and modeling.

I know i only tried the original nightmare version on computer fair in Sweden around 94.

the Nightmare demo/game is probably the best known Vr app known by like minded people and deserve its place in history by making a huge mark and impact on the VR dreamers around the globe!

best regards "Breton"

theregoes2
Protege
Wow! Someone who made that game is here? That's incredible. I played it around '92 and I immediately became obsessed with VR. Roughly 22 years I waited to play VR again and I stopped in to every Arcade I ever came across desperately hoping to see it again, but I never did. My entire life goal for a huge chunk of my life was to make enough money to buy a Dactyl Terror of my own someday to have at home, thanks to Oculus and Breton, it actually happened (or close enough anyway).
Ordered: June 4th Status: Strapped to my ugly mug ON, Canada

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
Hey Breton! Are you planning on updating your Dactyl remake to SDK 0.7 or maybe later to 1.0? I'd love to keep it in my library for CV1 and beyond. Also: Oculus Touch? 🙂
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit

Enmark
Expert Protege
Yes! i'm actually waiting for the final HMD Release because it's only months away. and i would like to make it multiplayer in some way. i there is somebody out there how would like to help or point me in the right direction i love it.
for the moment i'm considering going from Unity to Unreal engine.

SputnikKaputtni
Explorer
Awesome! Wish I could help you with the multiplayer programming. 😕

Out of interest: Why switch to UE4? It's not like you wanna fancy up the 90s graphics, or do you? 😉 Or is the ease of blueprint programming?
i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit

Enmark
Expert Protege
i hope its more easy to use more. butt then again i avent tryed the free alterantivs of multiplayer packs to Unity5 yet!