New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

VR Only AAA Games?

ZaineUKZaineUK Posts: 90
Hiro Protagonist
edited November 2014 in General
Hi All,

How long and if ever do you think we will have to wait to see AAA VR only games? I suppose for a company to take that sort of risk/investment we are going to have to see millions of VR headsets in houses around the world. I don't think we will see our first VR only big budget game until the end of CV1 / start of CV2.

Also what type of game do you think it would be? I think it's almost certainly to be a driving/flying sim.

Comments

  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    Project CARS & Assetto Corsa works for the DK2 and I'm sure it will work for CV1.
  • ZaineUKZaineUK Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    shim2 wrote:
    Project CARS & Assetto Corsa works for the DK2 and I'm sure it will work for CV1.

    Not made for VR only however. I mean a game which requires a HMD to play.
  • Triple A titles mostly have big teams behind them with big budgets. You'd want as multi platform as you can get to make the money back + profits.
    I think it'll take a very long time to see VR only titles from these company's. I can only hope triple A studios will put effort in making their titles VR ready. Indie and smaller developer teams will have to invent the crazy and exhilarating new game mechanics so tripple A studios can gobble them up and make safe bets because that's how they play, they play safe.
  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    ZaineUK wrote:
    shim2 wrote:
    Project CARS & Assetto Corsa works for the DK2 and I'm sure it will work for CV1.

    Not made for VR only however. I mean a game which requires a HMD to play.

    That won't happen for a few HMD product cycles. It wouldn't be very logical financially to invest in producing a game for it to be only available to a handful of people (HMD owners relative to the gaming populous)
  • MichaelJWP15MichaelJWP15 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    There's only really one way for an VR-focused AAA title to be commercially viable at this stage in the product cycle, and that's for it to be a first-party title funded by the platform holder, i.e. paid for by Oculus, knowing that as a title it will make a huge loss, but also knowing that there must be significant AAA content available day one. It's common in the console world.

    I'm sure OVR are already funding certain developers to do this.
  • FerretfingFerretfing Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Realistically the best way for developers is using Kickstarter to ensure the project will be fully funded & therefore taking away any risk - or a huge bung from Facebook :D
  • obzenobzen Posts: 713
    Nexus 6
    Pointless and a waste of money and resources.

    Better help AAA developer integrate VR to their games.
    DK1 FREAK...Ntbt8Ya.gif
  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    Ferretfing wrote:
    Realistically the best way for developers is using Kickstarter to ensure the project will be fully funded & therefore taking away any risk - or a huge bung from Facebook :D

    Small dev's don't usually make AAA titles. Of course you have instances like Mojang and Minecraft. Generally, if they want their product to succeed in the gaming world they will need AAA developers making AAA titles for VR.
  • FerretfingFerretfing Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    shim2 wrote:
    Ferretfing wrote:
    Realistically the best way for developers is using Kickstarter to ensure the project will be fully funded & therefore taking away any risk - or a huge bung from Facebook :D

    Small dev's don't usually make AAA titles. Of course you have instances like Mojang and Minecraft. Generally, if they want their product to succeed in the gaming world they will need AAA developers making AAA titles for VR.

    Obsidian raised $4 million on Kickstarter for Project Eternity - there's no reason why big companies can't go the Kickstarter route & I'm sure they'd raise the money in no time at all + we'd get our VR AAA titles....win win :D
  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    Ferretfing wrote:
    shim2 wrote:
    Ferretfing wrote:
    Realistically the best way for developers is using Kickstarter to ensure the project will be fully funded & therefore taking away any risk - or a huge bung from Facebook :D

    Small dev's don't usually make AAA titles. Of course you have instances like Mojang and Minecraft. Generally, if they want their product to succeed in the gaming world they will need AAA developers making AAA titles for VR.

    Obsidian raised $4 million on Kickstarter for Project Eternity - there's no reason why big companies can't go the Kickstarter route & I'm sure they'd raise the money in no time at all + we'd get our VR AAA titles....win win :D

    AAA developers don't need kickstarter as they have tens of millions of dollars available to them from publishers like Activision, EA, Rockstar ect.

    DICE is never going to need kickstarter because they are funded by EA. So I don't really understand your comment.
  • FerretfingFerretfing Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    The problem is none of the big companies will take the financial risk with VR - they need guarantees on their investments. Kickstarter is good way for them to test the water & allows them to name a budget & find out just how popular VR is/isn't.
  • shim2shim2 Posts: 480
    Nexus 6
    Ferretfing wrote:
    The problem is none of the big companies will take the financial risk with VR - they need guarantees on their investments. Kickstarter is good way for them to test the water & allows them to name a budget & find out just how popular VR is/isn't.

    That's under the assumption that their publishers allow that under contractual agreements. Which I highly doubt they do. AAA titles will come, it just takes time.
  • ProdakProdak Posts: 36
    Yeah, I agree with all the comments.. AAA titles will always be multi-platform, but the good news is after CV1 is released, it will make a big splash in the gaming industry, a lot PC hardcore gamers will have a CV1, and that's a fact... Big studios won't ignore that...

    So give it 1 year after CV1 and ALL big PC games will have VR support!
    Even when CV1 is released there will be some pretty good surprises, I'm sure Oculus will sign with some big studio to offer native support to some flagship big games.

    Plus a lot of smaller devs (still very capable) will make awesome stuff for VR, just wait for it, in 2 years everything will be very different for the good.
Sign In or Register to comment.