cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

violin
Honored Guest
"NopItTwice" wrote:
...Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea...

Windows 10 is not released yet and it won't be released before the second quarter of 2015 (at the earliest). The "Technology Preview" will expire on April 2015 and if you decide to use it you are stuck because after that you'll have to wait for the final release. Not to mention it's a "preview" and who knows if it'll have any bugs etc...

Windows 7 is a good OS as well as Windows 8. Why do you need DirectX 12 at this time? If any game is released supporting it - it won't be before the Christmas of 2015 ( a good guess). So more likely a few games will support it by 2016.
Considering Windows 7 is about 99$ and Windows 8 is also about 99$ (140$ for Pro) - I'd go with buying Windows 8 unless you already have a license for a different version.

I would stick with Windows 8.1; Then upgrade when Windows 10 is released. I heard speculations that it will be free for Win8 owners. If not I'm pretty sure it will be very cheap and discounted as an upgrade during the first few months after the release.

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
I only have one hard drive so that's not gonna be an issue, I'm not looking for dual boot.

@violin I intentionally wrote "the newest Windows 10 version then" and not just Windows 10 for a reason...
And yeah, it might expire next year, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will have released the beta (or whatever comes next) before that. At least that's how they did it in the past.
A reinstall in like 6 months is completely okay for me.

"who knows if it'll have any bugs etc": For example CaliberMengsk and InaudibleWhisper.

DaStivi
Honored Guest
Hey there,
yesterday i've tried to get the DK2 to run on my Win10 build 9879... but this does not work (at least with my config), the build 9879 is in the fast deployment branch and has some other issues too, so i really not recommend to update to this build!

i've downgraded/re-installed now with Win10 b9841 (the first public released preview) and the Oculus Runtime (and its drivers) installs flawlessly!

btw: the issue was that after runtime install and the reboot no desktop was showing up, terminating explorer.exe and dwm.exe didn't change anything, also eventlog shows some errors about oculus can't find a sensor etc... also while installing the runtime no driver installation happend even i tried to reinstall the drivers manually, what indeed worked but still no luck after a reboot!

As soon as i've uninstalled my Nvidia graphics drivers and rebooted i had an desktop again, then i tried to reinstall nvidia graphic driver, reboot, no desktop, uninstall oculus runtime, reboot desktop... rotate as you want, something inside build 9879 (or with my setup at least)

philriver
Honored Guest
Yeah, newest build of Windows 10 is a no go for DK2. Device not attached. :cry:

SliderOverride
Explorer
"philriver" wrote:

Yes same for me, so i have downgrade my Rift PC back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. up to finale.

DarkyDan
Honored Guest
Yep same problem here. My Rift still works fine on my housemate's Win7 box.. but latest Win10 build no longer works 😞 Totally cbf downgrading back to Win 8.1 right now!

Will let my housemate borrow it until next build comes out, if it still doesn't work I will have to downgrade.

JKay6969
Honored Guest
"SliderOverride" wrote:
"philriver" wrote:

Yes same for me, so i have downgrade my Rift PC back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. up to finale.

Same for me, the earlier build worked great with the Rift and everything else but with build 9879 it's a no go with the Rift.

Really disappointed and have logged the problem with Windows Feedback, I advise everyone does the same to let them know what is happening to enable them to fix it quicker.
CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB DK2: Delivered LENSES: Scratched SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:

opamp
Protege
Beta Software running on a "beta" OS sounds like a world of hurt in my opinion.
DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.

JKay6969
Honored Guest
"opamp" wrote:
Beta Software running on a "beta" OS sounds like a world of hurt in my opinion.

True Dat! :lol:

I know it's stupid of me to use Windows 10 Preview as my Daily Driver but up till the last update it was a fantastic OS, really stable, compatible with everything (Peripherals and software) and was so much better than Windows 8 or 8.1 that I am dreading the thought of going back to Windows 8.1...Tomorrow 😄
CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB DK2: Delivered LENSES: Scratched SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:

cherbert
Honored Guest
"violin" wrote:
Windows 10 is not released yet and it won't be released before the second quarter of 2015 (at the earliest). The "Technology Preview" will expire on April 2015 and if you decide to use it you are stuck because after that you'll have to wait for the final release. Not to mention it's a "preview" and who knows if it'll have any bugs etc...

People will not be stuck with it at all. Windows 10 Tech Preview receives updates to new builds and will also be upgradable to the final release.

My experience with it was that the DK2 worked fine initially. I think the recently released build update completely broke the runtime drivers. I had to revert back to my Windows 8 image.

Apart from Rift issues I had no other issues and it was very stable and very compatible with all my other software.