No Device Attached - Page 11 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No Device Attached

Comments

• Vortex wrote:
    Alright, i found a solution to my problem. I have no Idea if this applies to everyone with the "No Device Atttached" error message but in my case it appears to be a faulty HDMI port.

I noticed, that my dk2 works if I press on the hdmi cable in a certain way. So by wedging a chunk of paper between the DK2 and the HDMI cable like this: http://puu.sh/ayDB1/d31d88a893.jpg it works perfectly for me.

Now I have to decide if I am going to send my DK2 back to Oculus and get it replaced (wich would be a hassle, since i live in germany and sending it all the way to california would not only be expensive but would also cause me trouble with customs) or if I am just going to live with the workaround.

Yep, this worked!
  • sisyphesisyphe Posts: 21
    Actually the "No device attached" can happen for many reasons, it's the consequence of the device not being correctly recognized by the OS.

I've been reading the forums a lot lately and here are a few reasons this can happen :
    • Problem with the HDMI cable
    • Problem with the USB ports being USB3
    • Problem with the USB port not providing enough power
    • Problem with the CPU not supporting SSE4.1 - should be solved with SDK 0.4.1

The problem with the unit needing RMA is a bit nastier. It's an issue related to the calibration of the HMD and the Tracker. One or more of the LEDs in the HMD seems to be incorrectly recognized by the tracker. So even if it seems that the unit is working correctly (with Elite for example, or with the modified runtime driver) the positional tracking is not functioning as it should. In my case it seems to work flawlessly, but I'll trust Oculus engineers in that it need replacement anyway.

To know if your issue is this one, you need to go in the Windows event viewer and check if you have an error message like :
    [HMDTrackingModel] Incorrect LED 19 position version: 1. Make sure that the bundle adjustment has been performed correctly.
    Error: [HMD] WARNING: setupHMD failed.

If that is the case, your unit is not correclty paired with your tracker, and even if it seems it's working as it should, it's not totally the case and it needs replacement.

As a side note : I've been finally contacted by the support. They have been very kind and understanding of the problem and seems to be doing eveyrthing they can to solve the issue in the best possible way (typically : sending a new unit before I sent back the faulty one, which is pretty nice).
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    Nexus 6
    Thank you for sharing! Hope this helps people solve their issues. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • IlKildeerIlKildeer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello everyone,

yesterday I got my rift and had the same problem.
    After trying all suggested solutions I tried to install it on my living room PC, and bingo, there it works.
    So back to my main PC, after looking for the issue for another hour I found my problem.

I looked through all USB generic hubs and USB root hubs in the device manager, trying to find the one with the DK2 attached.
    Once found I looked in the common tab for the universal host controller, for me this was 3A3A. I uninstalled the host controller and rebooted.

And now everthing is working.
  • I've had the same problem ever since I got mine nearly a week ago, tried everything in this thread but have never seen a blue light on mine using my pc.. However, my brother ordered one as well and that came a couple of days ago. He was up and running in 15 mins so I took mine to his house plugged it in to his pc and it worked!

He is running an alienware laptop (not sure of the specs) using Winows 8.1. I was running windows 7 so I thought it must be software, rushed out bought 8.1 installed on my pc and same problem "no device attached"

It isn't broken but won't work on my pc regardless of OS.. Have no idea where to go from here.
    '
  • vrnzvrnz Posts: 2
    I had the bundle adjustment error and contacted support a couple of weeks ago (#46448). I was told a new one would be shipped out as well.

Since then I have heard nothing, no tracking info, no update to actually say its on its way.

Does anyone have experience of how long it takes to actually get the replacement? Getting rather desperate for information here!

Thanks.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @s0meguy61: You can try unplugging unnecessary USB devices, or switching USB ports. You can also try using a USB hub.

@vrnz: Replacements will be prioritized over regular orders, but will still need to wait for the next batch in the region. There is not a set amount of time it will take, but likely not more than a few weeks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • vrnzvrnz Posts: 2
    @vrnz: Replacements will be prioritized over regular orders, but will still need to wait for the next batch in the region. There is not a set amount of time it will take, but likely not more than a few weeks.

Thanks for the info!
    I believe a batch has just arrived in the country so here's hoping.. now the question of whether customs will try to charge me another $110 tax :-(
  • @cyberreality

Thanks Cyber.. Tried all that, no luck
  • Not sure if there's anything to it but if I run dxdiag without runtime installed it shows with both the camera and DK2 (although no power to the headset).When I install runtime the run dxdiag again the reference to both is missing.

Note in both cases the camera still shows up in device manger.
  • Hi there!

Just got my DK2 this week - trying to get it working with Windows 7 and experiencing the orange light / no device attached issue.

I'm fairly certain I can rule out any service related issues (the services are running and I have restarted them numerous times).

What seems strange to me is that every time I connect the USB cable - Windows installs a "Generic USB Hub" driver. No matter how many times I seem to uninstall/restart/reinstall the Oculus runtime/drivers, I just get that same Generic USB Hub driver showing up. Don't see the "DK2" device showing up anywhere in device manager.

I tested with a Mac - I was able to get it connected temporarily (long enough to confirm the firmware has been updated to the latest - 2.11 I believe).
  • suihanki wrote:
    Hi there!

Just got my DK2 this week - trying to get it working with Windows 7 and experiencing the orange light / no device attached issue.

I'm fairly certain I can rule out any service related issues (the services are running and I have restarted them numerous times).

What seems strange to me is that every time I connect the USB cable - Windows installs a "Generic USB Hub" driver. No matter how many times I seem to uninstall/restart/reinstall the Oculus runtime/drivers, I just get that same Generic USB Hub driver showing up. Don't see the "DK2" device showing up anywhere in device manager.

I tested with a Mac - I was able to get it connected temporarily (long enough to confirm the firmware has been updated to the latest - 2.11 I believe).

Update - I did not mention that I'm using a laptop with GTX M series GPU, and saw elsewhere that:

"Mobile configurations are not supported at the moment. We're working on it."

Hopefully that will be resolved soon!
  • I have this issue as well. Got my DK2 in the mail yesterday and after extracting the sdk and then installing the runtime, I am never able to detect the DK2 within the Config Util. It's just the grayed out picture and the message "No Device Attached."

I have tried nearly all the solutions listed in this thread and still I am unable to move past the orange light. I have never seen the screen inside the HMD come on, and I have never seen the tracker camera light up. I checked my windows event logs and I'm seeing errors that are sourced to Oculus, but I'm not getting the message about a "bundling error." My message says something like "cannot display on detected HMD device."

I have tried new usb and hdmi cables, and that doesn't work. In windows "screen resolution," I am never able to detect the HMD as a second monitor. I completely wiped my pc's hard drive and ran a clean installation of Windows 8.1, but that didn't change anything. Still just get a grayed out image and the "No Device Attached" message.

I just got in a brand new Alienware laptop, and I've seen where other people have not been able to get the DK2 detected on the PC, but oddly enough it worked on an Alienware laptop. I will try this out and see if I am similarly lucky. If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to submit a support ticket and wait to hear back like everyone else. I'm completely running out of ideas as to what it could be. Bought a powered usb 2.0 hub and that didn't help anything, either.

Here are my PC system specs:

Core i7-2600k
    GTX 780
    8gb ram
    Asus P67 Sabertooth motherboard
  • josephthewhitejosephthewhite Posts: 3
    edited September 2014
    Same problem here
    i got the software installed no problem on 2 pcs one running i7 2.2 chip and nvidia 560 and one running i5 and a ati card not sure the model both did the same thing which is,

the blue light on the cam turns on for 1/4 of a sec then nothing the drivers look like they are full installed, i cant make anything work with Direct HMD Access from app turned on, Extend desktop to the HMD does work in the Win_OculusUnityDemoScene_DirectToRift but i get no head movement from the rift i have to use the mouse and keyboard.

rift.jpg
  • jsdepreyjsdeprey Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    Are you getting any errors in the windows event application log?
  • floydfreakfloydfreak Posts: 386
    Hiro Protagonist
    @s0meguy61, suihanki, josepththewhite & anybody that might be interested.

I've been posting some of my findings (similar problems to you guys) in response to another thread ..
    I don't know if it will help anyone here (I sure hope so) but here's the link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13585
  • i found this info and now im working

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11208

I found (made) a workaround for this problem. I took apart the Oculus VR service in IDA and patched out the check that fails to cause this error message. I didn't try to figure out what it's actually looking for or why the check fails, since after patching it out my DK2 works just fine -- positional tracking included.

Here's the patched OVRService binary that removes that check which I have been using successfully:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84k0fkk4ckvt2df/OVRService_x86_patched.zip

To use it, either stop the normal OVRService and run this EXE, or replace OVRService_x86.exe and OVRService_x64.exe (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Service) with the patched one in this zip and restart the service. The supplied EXE is 32 bit only, but it seems to work just fine on my 64 bit machine as a replacement for the 64 bit service.

The usual disclaimers apply: no warranty expressed or implied.
  • Hey guys,

If you are getting the following error:
    Make sure that the bundle adjustment has been performed correctly.
    it's not something that can be fixed on your end. I would suggest contacting Oculus support and letting them know that you are experiencing the "bundle adjustment" issue. In these cases, we should be able to provide replacement hardware. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bummer. Recieved the DK2 with the bundle adjustment error. Contacted Oculus a week ago through mail with detailed info. Got a generic 7-question survey the next day about hardware config. Haven't heard any more since. Guess Oculus have their hands full atm.. :(
  • Hi people,

I also have this problem of (Waiting cammera) and non installing driver. Anyway It works fin in the Extended mode though camera light never turn on :)
  • Hi, I received mine a couple weeks ago. Same "no device attached" trouble. I tried every solution possible, tried on several different machines both macs and PCs at work, even switched cables with a couple another (working) DK2s at work and had a friend check it for me at home... So mine's briked for sure :( I'll have to wait support for a replacement.
  • Hello guys,

my oculus worked fine until I installed new driver for my video card. After reboot i got the same message as you. So I checked my dysplay drivers in device manager and there was two ATI cards. One of them was not installed properly ( ! in yellow triangle) if i clicked on driver update button, it shows up message that driver have last updates, so I uninstalled driver for this one dysplay adapter and let windows found it and install it on its own. Then i updated drivers for newest through device manager and it works now.
    Hope I helped and sorry for my bad english.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Sounds like a defective unit to me (especially if you tried on multiple computers with the same problem).

Please contact Oculus support. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • I've had a ticket open with support for some time now...
    Basically i updated to the latest SDK, but then read that i also needed to update the firmware for best results.
    The firmware update failed once, failed twice, then my pc (or any pc) can no longer detect my rift.
    I've also tried, upon support's request, to try other SDKs, which I did, with no luck.
    Now they have asked for my debug log.
    I guess I'm curious how long before I can send back my rift to get repaired?
    I understand that they want to try everything they can to try to resolve the problem without me having to send it in.. but it seems inevitable at this point..
    I've been rift-less for 3 weeks now, and I just want to get resolution so i can start go back to developing and demoing the hardware. :?
  • now that 0.4.2 is released the patched OVRService_x86 referenced earlier in this thread that was a work-around for the 'bundle adjustment - SetupHMD failed' error no longer works.. I'm back to No Device Attached.

Now this wouldn't be such an issue.. except that all new demos/games require 0.4.2...

Can anyone upload an updated patched 0.4.2 OVRService_x86 for me to use?

I really do not want to send this back for a replacement but its looking like it is the only option going forward - please correct me if I am wrong?
  • Hi people

I have the same problem with the NDA. Could somebody put the link to the RMA tickets? I don't find the link in the webpage.
  • Good day friends. I have a huge problem. Today the whole day playing with Oculus different games, and at the end of the day, my oculus light up yellow light and is no longer included. Oculus in the config utility writes nodevicheattached. okulusservisemanager also did not help. Help please!!!!!
  • I've had my Rift for 4 days and didn't even realize that the camera wasn't working until I read about being able to lean in and look at things. My camera wasn't powering on. I had an entry under "Imaging Devices" in devmgmt.msc titled "Oculus Positional Tracker", but in the Oculus config utility it said "waiting for Camera". No power lights showed up on the camera.

Tried multiple things like plugging into different USB ports. Also disconnected my Logitech mouse and uninstalled Logitech from add/remove programs. Still no luck.

What fixed it for me was from about page 4 of this thread. Now it shows up in device manager under "Oculus VR Devices" as "Oculus Video Camera" and works correctly. For the first time, I can actually lean in and look at stuff in the config utility and am about to try others:

My Fix: http://static.oculus.com/sdk-downloads/Oculus+VR+Camera+Installer.exe

(I'm using SDK 0.4.2 currently)
  • JKay6969JKay6969 Posts: 101
    Brain Burst
    Is anyone here who is having problems with the Rift not being detected running Windows 10 developer preview?

If so it could very well be that causing the problem.

I am running Windows 10 and after hearing about a new update I decided to try it out. I had to select FAST upgrades and scan for updates. This resulted in windows 10 updating itself and breaking Rift compatibility. The Rift screen is on showing the desktop like it does but the Oculus Configuration Tool couldn't detect the Rift and nothing would run on the Rift. I didn't initially realise this was due to the upgrade so I spent some time reinstalling drivers, checking cables, uninstalling software, etc, etc. But nothing worked. This is when I figured the upgrade could have caused it and reinstalled windows and it worked.

Just a heads up, Rift works fine with windows 10 STABLE release, not with FAST update.

Also if you are having issues getting the Rift to be detected plug the camera's USB cable into a powered USB hub, not directly into the PC, that works for me. Even now if I plug the camera directly into my PC the Rift stops working and isn't detected.

I hope this is of help to you all.
    CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
    RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz
    GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB
    DK2: Delivered
    LENSES: Scratched
    SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:
  • l0l0l0l0 Posts: 1
    I was having the issue where it would not detect the HMD. I could get video to the device in extended mode, but whatever USB port/cable I tried it all resulted in the same HIDDevice Error 23.

I finally found a solution (someone suggested something similar a couple of pages back, but I can't find it to quote it).

I connected up the Rift, looked for the "USB Generic Device" in the list of devices in Device Manager that the HID for the Rift was attached to and uninstalled it. An easy way to do this is to start the OVRServer_x64 from the command line and note the Hardware ID being used by the HID device (and use that to match to the USB generic device). Then I rebooted the computer. After the computer started, I fired up the Oculus config and voila, it finally detected the unit. Hope this helps.
  • tmektmek Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have a "Windows 10 Preview" issue similar to JKay6969. I installed Win10 November 25th and then installed the DK2 4.3 drivers, everything worked fine for a couple of days.

Today Windows did an update and seems to only use their own Microsoft drivers. Nothing I try seems to get the Configuration Utility to detect the DK2. Uninstalling the drivers and rebooting does not seem to help.

Any advice on what I can do at this point? I understand that Windows 10 is not officially supported but just checking if anyone has any workarounds.

The hardware Ids show "HID\VID_2833&PID_0021&REV_0212" but just report as "HID-compliant device" and "USB Input Device" and "Generic USB Hub"

Here's what I get if I run OVRServer_x64:
    OVR::DeviceManager - initialized.
    OVR::DeviceManagerThread - running (ThreadId=0x1778).
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Failed to open HIDDevice: \\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#8&473f13e&8&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
    OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Closed '\\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#8&473f13e&8&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
    Error: {ERR-023} [TrackingManager] Unable to create detected HMD sensor device
    [TrackingManager] Display added: UUID=MSCE4AR6K9DAK Driver=1