cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't find "Device ID" to start development for GearVR

karrtoon
Expert Protege
Edit/Update: Reddit user skyworxx has released a neat little tool on the google play store for quickly getting the device ID, here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyworxx.gearvrnote4deviceidgrabber after putting your device into dev mode (push build 7 times in about section of phone) and getting the Oculus signature file from https://developer.oculus.com/tools/debug/ you will need to place it in Unity in plugins/android/assets (and may need to create that assets folder) follow posts below for more info. There are a lot of other things you also need like the Android SDK.

Old Post Continued: I went to the link https://developer.oculus.com/tools/debug/ to get the file needed to start exporting demos I am working on to test them. The following is some feedback: This page really needs better instructions. First off it gives no info that on how with the Note 4 you have to hit "build number" 7 times in the about menu for developer mode to activate. (Followed by Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B, Start) JK 🙂 Anyway, All kinds of outdated instructions on Google for that. (30 minutes lost right now)

Now I'm stuck for about an hour and a half already trying to find my Note 4 "Device ID". All it says on the Oculus Automatic Signature page is:

"Assuming that your computer is configured as an Android developer device, open an OS shell and enter: adb devices. You should see a list of attached devices:

List of devices attached
ce0551e7 device

In this example the Device ID is ce0551e7.

Note: For more information on Android debugging and adb please read our Mobile SDK documentation"

Tried the command prompt and got nothing. I just feel like there's no need to make the wording this complicated on this auto signature page, I looked through the documentation and it's pretty much the same instructions. We're talking about getting what's basically like a serial number here, let's not scare people away that want to experiment. There really has to be a better solution to this than me having to Google search "Android developer device" and look up outdated Windows 7 usb drivers that I think might help find the Device ID. I understand the signing process is to preserve the store, or else everyone would just be passing APK's around. But in the future I would like to make a quick build for a few random people to gather feedback before submission. There is no way they are going to go through all of this hassle to get their Device ID. And how many Device ID's can I honestly add to a project anyway to "avoid the Oculus Store" if this process were in fact easier?

I am running windows 8.1, Unity 4.5.5 and feel it shouldn't have to be this difficult to get started. We should try to make the barrier of entry as low as possible so newer devs can play around with ideas in VR. I am also new to Android development (but not PC) so in my opinion these instructions need to be as clear as possible.

How do I get my "Device ID" from the phone.. I am reading it's actually called AndroidID on google? Also how do I get some random playtesters from Reddit to try my demo before submitting to the store for approval? I hope this feedback will be useful.
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot get the file to generate on the website, get an error xml page saying the number doesnt exist. Anyone run into this?
Thanks

karrtoon
Expert Protege
@headtrip are you entering the device ID that adb.exe gave you?

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes, from command line... adb devices... get an 8 digit code. I'm not the only one seeing it, Im hoping its a server issue and not that our phones arent registered somehow.
thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fixed! must have been a server issue... thanks

karrtoon
Expert Protege
So I ran into quite a few more issues after all of this. For those of you struggling with setting up Unity for GearVR development, this video was extremely helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgYwZzHxCOs

After trying to build a project in Unity it stops in the the middle of compiling with a popup message that says "Select Android SDK root folder" I have the SDK loaded I have found a few folders called "root" in the SDK's "templates" folder. No matter what folder I select it will not allow me to advance. (Have tried them all) Any ideas?

Edit: I tried going to edit, preferences, external tools, and selecting the Android SDK folder in program files that way. Still did not work. Keeps popping up with window.

Edit2: Nevermind, I didn't follow the SteelClawz link above to install the rest using the Android SDK manager http://developer.android.com/tools/help/sdk-manager.html After I downloaded everything that the window stopped popping up asking for the android SDK. Now I'm geting "App not installed" when trying to install a Oculus signed APK I created and placed on my phone?

Edit3: The final problem I had I also got resolved. It was an issue with my project, something not compatible so it wouldn't install the APK orginally. Hope this all helps someone.

dougkinnison
Honored Guest
OK everyone. Simplest path possible. 

1. Create a new C# script and call it what ever you want. 
2. Attach it to the Main Camera of your project.
3. In the Start function of your new script, add the following: " Debug.Log("Device ID: " + SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier); "
4. Run your project. 

lXg99
Explorer

OK everyone. Simplest path possible. 

1. Create a new C# script and call it what ever you want. 
2. Attach it to the Main Camera of your project.
3. In the Start function of your new script, add the following: " Debug.Log("Device ID: " + SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier); "
4. Run your project. 

This would be an awesome way to get the real device_id even from clients phones in another city. But it seems that this deviceUniqueIdentifier is reporting something different than adb devices does. At least on a quick test here.
Is there a known way to get the same device_id that adb reports via code from Unity?

nicolas_bernard
Honored Guest

Is there a known way to get the same device_id that adb reports via code from Unity?

Hi, the post is quite old now, but, have you found a solution for this ? I have the same issue 🙂

Thanks