New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Team OC: Please provide us specs for re-encoding videos

MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
Art3mis
edited December 2014 in Samsung Gear VR
Because we can´t. We can guess. We can try. But it would be MUCH easier if you could give us the perfect specs to re-encode our videos for the oculus cinema.

supported video Codecs
supported audio codecs (AC3? DTS?)
max screen resolution
max bitrate
best profile to use

Also: Can the OC show 60fps videos IN 60fps?

THAT kind of stuff would be very helpful.

Thanx in A.

Comments

• arnoudharnoudh Posts: 333
    NerveGear
    In fact it is quite simple: any format and codec that the Note4 can play back natively, you can play in Oculus cinema.

So MKV, MP4 etc are fine, H.264, AAC are fine as well, but you are out of luck with AC3 and DTS audio...

So just look at the Samsung website for supported formats and codecs.
  • JohnCarmackJohnCarmack Posts: 27 Oculus Staff
    As stated above, anything that plays in the MediaPlayer should work in Cinema.

Because the movies are shown in less than half of the screen, and don't even cover all of that, encoding at high resolutions is just a waste of space and processing power. The lenses provide a little bit of a focus bubble in the center, so a bit more resolution in the movie than there are pixels on the screen is useful. 1280x720 is the highest res you should use, and 960x540 isn't a bad choice.

Unlike normal viewing on a modern mobile display, the individual pixels matter when blown up to cover your field of view, so you want to use a higher bit rate than you normally would for those resolutions. Much depends on your exact encoding process, but 5-10 Mb/s is reasonable for h264, but you can spend as much as you want.

H265 should be working, but we ran out of time to do the testing involved in migrating all our media over to it for the bit rate savings.

For 3D movies, you get good resolute with side-by-side uncompressed at 1920x540 resolution; just a vertical compression of a distorted 1080P side by side.
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    1280x720 is the highest res you should use, and 960x540 isn't a bad choice.

This makes sense, but I wonder: wouldn't a slightly higher resolution allow for better scaling results in certain situations (e.g. when tilting your head), remotely similar to how rendering a game at a higher than native resolution helps with post-distortion image quality?. Just a quick thought, though.
  • EvolEvol Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you very much John, that helps alot!
  • JohnCarmackJohnCarmack Posts: 27 Oculus Staff
    The movie screen is rendered directly from the time warp distortion correction pass as an overlay texture, so it uses the resolution of both the texture and display pretty much optimally. It is trilinear filtered, so if it is too high of a resolution, it will get a blend between the original texture and the first MIP map level, which gives a little bit of aliasing and a little bit of blurring. Some people might like the slightly greater crispness, but since it adds a bit of noise that changes with head position, I think it is a bad trade for VR.

You can play 1920x1080 videos, but the quality isn't going to be any better than 1280x720, and it will waste power, heat, and space. Be generous with bit rate for quality.
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    Many thanks for the clarification, I'm looking forward to try the Gear VR first-hand sometime as I'm sure I'll be blown away. VR Cinema 3D for DK1 is by far my favorite app so the improved resolution and black levels are quite welcome.

Thanks for all the hard work on making quality VR!
  • DoomDalekDoomDalek Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    Thanks John, its nice to see devs getting involved with end user queries. :)

I have done some test encodes from 3B BluRay and can confirm that the best results follow those guidelines, and I did indeed see quite a lot of aliasing on the Gear if I tried to create large SBS resolutions, such as 3840x800. Higher resolutions than 1920x1080 also seem to also screw up the overlay render in anything except the void mode, too.
  • pizzy00pizzy00 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    How generous with bit rate 10,000 kbps or 20,000 kbps? Thanks
  • arnoudharnoudh Posts: 333
    NerveGear
    I have noticed that because of the fact that you are millimeters away from the screen and the fact that AMOLED has infinite black-levels, especially in dark scenes, lack of bitrate can be very annoying because you can see every artifact in those moments.

I encoded a 1920x540 SBS 3D movie yesterday at 6Mbps VBR, and that was too low in my opinion, so I am retrying now at 10 to see the difference.

In these moments I regret not having my 8-core Mac Pro anymore... The Mac mini has some issues with this... :oops:
  • soulmachinesoulmachine Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    What is the recommended bitrate?
  • MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    1. JC himself answered my question. NERDGASM!!! :D:D:D

2. What about audio encoding? Is there a way to keep the 5.1 audio? Yes - we can't use DD or DTS - but encode to ACC 5.1 maybe?

Can't test - my GVR is still on its way :evil:
  • Hey guys, loving the GVR here! trying to add some 80 fov 3d movies in to OC. I am loading them with the _LR extension but the 3d is all jacked up. Where can I find documention? Help?
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 976
    Art3mis
    1. JC himself answered my question.
    Answered prayer is cause for celebration.
  • First post here. I got my Gear VR a few days ago. Loving it!

For video I am in the process of testing rips with dvd fab 9.

Right now i am testing a rip to 960x540 with a 5 M/s bit rate. Will also try out more 3d rips.

If anyone else is working on encoding and video rips I'd appreciate the settings that worked for you and the platform.

Thanks!
  • cly3dcly3d Posts: 70 Oculus Start Member
    Good thread, and clear answers on the resolution.
    What I also wanted to know as well as Op:

- Does the SbS 3d video need to be at 60fps or will there be a smoothness hit if it's just 25/30 fps? (correct me if i'm wrong in thinking that the "video" is a texture applied to an inverted sphere, and this sphere is what is rendered at 60fps)

- Would Stereoscopic 360 video also need to be at 60fps? (and does the note4 cpu/gpu handle such stereo 360 at 60 fps comfortably)

I ask this while waiting for a working/compatible (exynos) note4 to be available, this side of the world. GearVR arrived a day ago.
    Thanks and Regards,
  • MasterElwoodMasterElwood Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    cly3d wrote:
    Good thread, and clear answers on the resolution.
    What I also wanted to know as well as Op:

- Does the SbS 3d video need to be at 60fps or will there be a smoothness hit if it's just 25/30 fps? (correct me if i'm wrong in thinking that the "video" is a texture applied to an inverted sphere, and this sphere is what is rendered at 60fps)

- Would Stereoscopic 360 video also need to be at 60fps? (and does the note4 cpu/gpu handle such stereo 360 at 60 fps comfortably)

I ask this while waiting for a working/compatible (exynos) note4 to be available, this side of the world. GearVR arrived a day ago.
    Thanks and Regards,

I second all that questions!

I love watching EVERYTHING in HFR (i don´t mind the "video" look - but i HATE stuttering) and i am willing to convert movies to 60fps (via twixtor) before watching them in the Oculus Cinema.

But of course if the N4 can´t handle 60fps in the OC - this would be useless.

And i can´t test it because the damn thing is still ON THE FU***** MOON - ah - i mean: on its way :evil: