cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus and Windows 10?

NopItTwice
Honored Guest
My DK2 will probably arrive in about 2 months and I already put together a gaming PC for it.
This machine will probably only be used for gaming and nothing else btw.

Now I'm wondering if I should just install Windows 8 on it or if I should wait 2 more months and install the newest Windows 10 version then. I also considered Windows 7, but since it won't get support for DirectX 12 this is probably not the best idea.

So has anyone of you any experience with the current Windows 10 preview/demo and Oculus Rift?
Are there any Demos that are not working or is everything fine?
500 REPLIES 500

god_alom
Adventurer
Didn't realise there is a Windows 10 in the talks. Is there a WIndows 9? I am really lagging behind in news didn't realise we were so up ahead.

DaStivi
Honored Guest
they skipped 9 for a couple of reasons, the most official is that all "new" windows devices will get the same naming, WIndows 10...

a few other rumors says that the want to call it windows one (1) but there was allready a windows 1.0 back in the days .... :lol: however it is what it is... and win10 generally works quite fine!

and i guess there has to be people even with oculus who test the new OS Builds even if they are in alpha/beta builds... that exactly what happend with the newest beta build doesn't happen!

i don't know what the problem is with the newest build, and i don't know if oculus has to fix this issues but the really bad side is that MS automatically rolled out the recent non working build for the rift now! so my effort to get the "Old" build back last week was completly useless as i've got installed the newest build today :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops:

opamp
Protege
"JKay6969" wrote:
"opamp" wrote:
Beta Software running on a "beta" OS sounds like a world of hurt in my opinion.

True Dat! :lol:

I know it's stupid of me to use Windows 10 Preview as my Daily Driver but up till the last update it was a fantastic OS, really stable, compatible with everything (Peripherals and software) and was so much better than Windows 8 or 8.1 that I am dreading the thought of going back to Windows 8.1...Tomorrow 😄

Im still on 7 as I didnt bother with 8/8.1.

How are you guys finding 10 so far? Is it going to be worth the upgrade?
DK2. Phenom 2 x4 4.2GHz,Asrock Extreme 3 970,8GB DDR3 1600, R9 270x 1180/1400.

Torx
Honored Guest
ive had absolutely no problems in 8.1 x64
i'd go on a limb and say there shouldnt be any with win10.
the big deal breaker is whether or not ati/nv drivers are built and stable for 10. thats really what it all comes down to right now for win10 if youre trying to test it out.

although i would wait till the next preview update, which is being held off until after the new year.

build 9888 looks promising for somewhat daily use, if you can get your hands on that one it'll be a nice tester os for oculus.

saviornt
Protege
I wish Microsoft included DX12 in the Windows 10 tech preview build 😕
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

MrOpposite
Honored Guest
I have the same problem, here's some output from the OVRservice_x64.exe :

OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Closed '\\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
Error: {ERR-023} [TrackingManager] Unable to create detected HMD sensor device
[TrackingManager] Display added: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
[TrackingManager] Display removed: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
[TrackingManager] Display added: UUID=MSCE4807JHC43 Driver=1
OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Failed to open HIDDevice: \\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Closed '\\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}'
OVR::Win32::HIDDevice - Failed to open HIDDevice: \\?\hid#vid_2833&pid_0021#7&238d4620&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

The display drivers seem to work fine (I can swap between extended/direct mode correctly) but the problem lies in the HID interface, that is the sensors.

Since the sensors cannot be communicated with due to not being able to open the device, the service cannot create the abstracted HMD sensor device, and thus the Oculus Config Utility does not correctly detect the connected device.

Will keep debugging for a while, but using a beta OS is... well weird while doing these kinds of things, my usual tool "google" is largely crippled in this case.

JKay6969
Honored Guest
I'd go out on a limb here and say that my experience with Windows 10 pre Oculus killing update was VERY positive, it largely restored my faith in Microsoft being able to produce a solid OS again, the last being Windows 7. I'm now on 8.1 and although it works, it's stable and compatible with everything I plug into it I don't like the Start Screen, not because they took away the start menu, but because the start screen is very badly arranged and utilized IMHO. Windows 10 fixes most issues there giving the option to use a hybrid Start Menu or a Start Screen.

Most of my games worked very well in Windows 10 with no show stoppers until the latest build.I do still find myself dreaming of a world where Linux works with all my games...I want off of the Microsoft train...Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.
CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB DK2: Delivered LENSES: Scratched SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:

planetarian
Honored Guest
"JKay6969" wrote:
Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.

Um, no. If anything, the opposite is true; Windows is only getting cheaper and MS is not stupid enough to charge for updates. Heck, Windows 8.1 and the major update that followed it are great examples of that -- 8.1 itself was an OS upgrade marketed as an update, and then there was "8.1 Update" which came after it, which is basically a service pack marketed as a update. All of which were free.

Basically, here's what's happening: MS wants to release future *versions* of Windows on the store so that people can simply buy it there and the OS will automatically perform the upgrade in as few steps as possible. Windows 8.1 itself was a mass test of this functionality, and the build update system built into the Windows 10 tech preview is a further expansion on that same system. Windows 8.1 and new builds of Win10 are not installed as updates; rather, they're installed as complete OS upgrades. This has no bearing on the delivery of regular updates (and service packs), which will continue to be free. MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

JKay6969
Honored Guest
"planetarian" wrote:
"JKay6969" wrote:
Windows Store concerns me greatly, why do you need to get 8.1 update from the store rather than through Windows update? Oh because going forward Microsoft plan to sell you major updates or Service Packs as they are commonly known...Troubling.

MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Yeah and M$ has no history of shooting themselves in the foot... :lol: lmao
CPU: Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz RAM: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 2400MHz GPU: Powercolor PCS+ OC R9 290X 4GB DK2: Delivered LENSES: Scratched SOLUTION: Let me buy replacememnts :idea:

planetarian
Honored Guest
"JKay6969" wrote:
"planetarian" wrote:
"JKay6969" wrote:

MS charging for interim updates would be shooting themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Yeah and M$ has no history of shooting themselves in the foot... :lol: lmao

Firstly, this is not the late 90s, using "M$" just makes people groan and roll their eyes nowadays. =p

Secondly, MS usually has issues with making reasonable (in a business sense) gambles that don't play out in the end, but this is a different story. No sane person (that's right, they exist at Microsoft too!) would believe for one second that it would be in the best interests of Microsoft to charge for service packs.

Thirdly, the Microsoft of today is not the Microsoft of even a decade ago. Their recent history has shown a significantly higher degree of wisdom and well-meaning in their actions, perhaps tempered by a decade of antitrust cases against them for their younger behavior, but also thanks to the fact that they have more competition in a number of different spaces and can't afford any more big screw-ups.

Being a Microsoft hater used to be 'cool' a decade ago, but nowadays it's just so trite. 😜