Replacement Lenses — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Replacement Lenses

DirtBoxDenDirtBoxDen Posts: 55
Brain Burst
edited December 2014 in General
iv only had my rifts a few days but already noticed a few little scratch marks on the lenses,
iv only ever de-misted them using the supplied cloth, so im little concerned about how long they will hold up,

so is it possible to buy replacement lenses if needed and if so could someone provide a link please

thanks again
den

Comments

• DirtBoxDenDirtBoxDen Posts: 55
    Brain Burst
    any ideas anyone ??
  • My understanding is that you cannot buy replacement lenses at the moment. Lots of folks have scratches on them by now - try not to clean them as frequently maybe, relying more on keeping them away from dust (and store the headset with lenses facing down) and not letting them touch your hair/forehead. Ain't perfect but it helps!
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Purchase some 40mm savvies and apply them asap. I ordered mine on Ebay and had them within a week and haven't had to worry about a single scratch since.
    They clean easily with any cloth and you get a number of pairs in a pack.

SAVVIES
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    Brain Burst
    top man happyhimistsu

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191459238498?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

bought and paid for £2.50 for 12, now thats a bargain

tanks dude nice one, you saved me there :D
  • NosherNosher Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    I would urge any new DK2 owner (or prospective one) to order savvies and install them BEFORE using your rift.

I ordered these before I even got my DK2.

When my DK2 arrived, I put the savvies on and didn't use the DK2 for 24 hours (imagine the wait!!)

My lenses are fine and I can wipe them as many times as I want no problem.

I have noticed no ill effects from the quality of the picture as a result (looks clear and bootiful), but there again, I have never used my DK2 without savvies.....

Nosh
  • spyrospyro Posts: 335
    Art3mis
    That's a real classic. It was reported dotzend of times:

Oculus has ignored that issue for many month now. In August they said, that this only affects a very small group of developers which just handles their DK2s not carefully enough.

At the end of October 2014 (!) they answered this per mail to someone who asks where to get replacement lenses:
    "We are investigating a number of reports and when more information is available, we will let everyone know."

It seems, that the simple replacement of easily detachable lenses needs this many advanced research and information that something like this isn't still enough:

- viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18595
    - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16500
    - viewtopic.php?f=62&t=18214
    - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12862
    - viewtopic.php?f=26&t=11704
    - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2lwj8w/oculus_lens_replacement_policy/
    - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2cqnan/where_to_buy_new_dk2_lenses/
    - http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2cdoaz/the_dk2_lenses_are_crapthey_scratch_using_the/
    - http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/jon-martindale/the-new-oculus-rift-has-easily-scratchable-lenses/
    - http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17937
    - http://johnstejskal.com/wp/oculus-rift-dk2-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

Then, 2 months ago, Cyberreality posted this, without any sign of irony:
    "After doing some more tests, it seems we were finally able to see the problem ourselves. Right now we are looking into finding a good solution, but it may take a while to get up and running. Sorry guys."

What ever they might respond to this now (if they respond at all), it's obvious that they are either not able to solve this simple issue or they simply don't care. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. It's just ridiculous.

If they keep on with this kind of 'service' then this will not end nice when the consumer version launches, whenever this might be.

spyro
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    I really wish the solution was as simple as having replacement lenses for sale on their site. I would be willing to pay.
    Brain Burst
    has anyone asked a member of the oculus team if its possible to buy replacement lenses,
    i cant see why it would not be possible , i guessing if they asked the particular company associated with the lenses they would be able to order extra pairs to sell on as replacement's, id be more then happy to buy a spare pair
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I know it has been a long wait, but we are still looking to remedy this situation. Unfortunately, the solution is not ready yet and I'm hesitant to make any promises until things are finalized.

That said, if you feel your lenses are significantly scratched, as in you are unable to play games or develop on it, then please contact Oculus support. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    I know it has been a long wait, but we are still looking to remedy this situation. Unfortunately, the solution is not ready yet and I'm hesitant to make any promises until things are finalized.
    Cyber, would you be willing to share insights into the internal workings at Oculus? I would figure that at a startup like OVR, decisions could be made nimbly. This is not a criticism, just a curiosity.
  • SemicidalSemicidal Posts: 297
    Hiro Protagonist
    They're not really a startup anymore. They have BIG money behind them, but I am not sure who ultimately makes the decisions.
    Other things to consider: if they sell the same lenses they are selling now, how happy will people really be long term? They will just bitch about the price, the shipping and the need to buy multiple lenses because they STILL scratch.
    Maybe an anti scratch coating messes with the optics?
    They are still getting a handle on manufacturing. Maybe they don't yet HAVE any options for better, hardier lenses.
    There are tons of reasons they are taking their time. I am not happy about it either, but I have to trust that when they finally issue a solution, it will be a total solution and not a stopgap.
    Brain Burst
    Semicidal wrote:
    Other things to consider: if they sell the same lenses they are selling now, how happy will people really be long term? They will just bitch about the price, the shipping and the need to buy multiple lenses because they STILL scratch.

if i could get another pair of lenses i would happily pay and once they had turned up the first thing i would do is stick some savvies straight on them so they never got anymore scratches, the same as i would do with my ipad or phone, i just wish id thought about before i got the small scratches on them,

mine really are not that bad, there's just a couple of faint scratches that do not effect the rifts what so ever but i would still like another set of lenses because even though they dont effect the rifts...i know there there and thats enough..lol

im just being extra careful now while im waiting for my savvies to arrive 8-)
  • Truth be told, I can live with the odd scratch on the lenses of a dev kit.

My main concern at this point is what are the plans for the CV care and maintenance of such items. I can understand the need to keep the price down and use easily scratch-able lenses, I'll even understand if OVR skips on the ability to change the lenses focus (myopia) - but there has to be some form of replacement - management of same in place as the CV will certainly not be a throw-away razor blade; or so I hope.