About the smell.... — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

About the smell....

MaxSMoke777MaxSMoke777 Posts: 86
Hiro Protagonist
edited January 2015 in General
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, I can't imagine no one has, but the DK2 has a very unpleasant smell about it once it warms up. The unit isn't hot, as far as I can tell, so it's not a burning smell. The smell reminds me of the first run of Line Dice, a game I created and had manufactured through a chinese company. Something used in the manufacture of the dice left behind this terrible smelling residue that gave me a headache if I smelled it too long. And since I was bagging and packaged all of the dice by hand, I got to smell it ALOT.

The interesting part is that when I got the second run of the dice made, they talked me into paying for whole new molds and the second run of the dice had no residue nor smell. It was like they were using an entirely different kind of plastic, or maybe a different industrial lubricant to remove them from the mold. The smell was gone and the dice are clean enough to eat off of.

I'm thinking one, or maybe more, of the components inside the DK2 has that residue on them that is making that terrible smell. Without disassembling and cleaning every part by hand, I think it always will have it. I know, after a year of storing my dice, the smell did not go away on it's own. It's like an oil, and it doesn't evaporate. You guys at Oculus should be very careful with your consumer release as to not use parts with this substance on them. The Rift can be hard on the eyes and brain by itself. The last thing you want is some minor manufacturing chemical on the units to add to people's potential headaches.

Comments

• WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    NerveGear
    Hello there

It has indeed been mentioned before viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14555&p=217354&hilit=dk2+smell#p217354 , one of our users took the thing apart and identified the offending item.

I actually quite like the smell to be honest, it smells industrial and for me has become associated with the great experiences I have had with the headset. I also avoided any prolonged nausea to prevent association with that.

I am sure many people are put off by the smell though, I imagine as its a prototype run it was a case of chucking in whichever components were available in order to get it out the door, and the CV1 will smell of something great. I vote for beef personally.
  • witboy83witboy83 Posts: 181
    It bothered me at the begging, it goes away in 2 weeks... ;)
    0L74uCv.jpg
  • theregoes2theregoes2 Posts: 198
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just had to put my on to see if the smell is still there. It's either completely gone, or I've gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.
    Ordered: June 4th
    ON, Canada
  • dotyjdotyj Posts: 3
    Wireline wrote:
    Hello there
    I am sure many people are put off by the smell though, I imagine as its a prototype run it was a case of chucking in whichever components were available in order to get it out the door, and the CV1 will smell of something great. I vote for beef personally.

Not me, I think it should smell like bacon.

I must be smell blind, I hadn't noticed an unpleasant smell.
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Thankfully, I don't notice any smell whatsoever coming from the Rift.
    Interesting how some people smell it and some don't and whether or not that can be attributed to some rifts being smelly while others aren't or if it is something like the Asparagus thing and only certain people will notice...
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • MaxSMoke777MaxSMoke777 Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Electronics in general use alot of highly toxic chemicals in their production. Fresh PC components are full of strange, and often, very sickening odors due to their newness and lack of any covering. But with all of these, you're unlikely to really notice them much as you don't STRAP THEM ON YOUR FACE.

Even with a Cellphone, which you do hold close to your face, it's not really that close to your nose. It's more off to the side. All of this goes right out the window with Head Mounted Displays, especially face covering ones like VR Goggles. Even Google Glasses couldn't get these potentially dangerous chemical residues that close to your nose, much less right on top of it. The Rift does. It puts them extremely close to your nose, and therein, your lungs.

In such close proximity, and under the heating of normal operation, you're going to get a full face of every chemical used in the process of that item's production. This is really a first for the electronic industry. Never before has an item been held this closely to lungs, outside of those fake-cigarette vaporisers.

So *PLEASE*, I would advocate cation in the final production of the Oculus Rift. This could be a majority health issue. All of the components need a level of cleanliness that goes above and beyond all of the gadgets that come before it. As the DK1 had no smell, I would suggest a careful examination of all of the components added since then. This isn't just some minor, "Stinky Rubber" that some people have suggested. This is some kind of industrial chemical. It's something I've run into before, and I think it might be toxic.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,165 Volunteer Moderator
    This is really a first for the electronic industry. Never before has an item been held this closely to lungs, outside of those fake-cigarette vaporisers.
    Except for every other vr headset ever made, digital cameras, camcorders, telephone handsets, mobile phones, electric razers, nose hair trimmers, night vision goggles, thermal cameras, digital binoculars... (those are just off the top of my head (no pun intended))
  • I didn't notice any type of smell, may be I get used to it.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    There may be a slight smell at first, but usually this goes away pretty quickly.

I haven't noticed anything in a long time.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • acarrilhoacarrilho Posts: 402
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can't smell anything on the Rift. If there's something toxic to me it's odorless.
    G3258 @4.4MHz
    GTX970
    8GB RAM
    Windows 7 64
  • andrewtekandrewtek Posts: 971
    Art3mis
    Do you store your DK2 in the box it came in? I leave mine out on my desk and it lost its "new gadget smell" pretty quickly. However, the empty box (which I keep closed) still has the smell. If you want the scent to dissipate, consider storing your DK2 in the open.
  • MaxSMoke777MaxSMoke777 Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    kojack wrote:
    This is really a first for the electronic industry. Never before has an item been held this closely to lungs, outside of those fake-cigarette vaporisers.
    Except for every other vr headset ever made, digital cameras, camcorders, telephone handsets, mobile phones, electric razers, nose hair trimmers, night vision goggles, thermal cameras, digital binoculars... (those are just off the top of my head (no pun intended))

Come on man, really? NONE of those items are held to the face as long as VR Goggles. Night Vision Goggles might come the closest, but those are usually sealed, water-tight items, so of course no vapors can escape from them. For instance, how long do you use Nose Hair Trimmers? 30 Minutes to an hour? PLEASE tell me you don't have an hour-worth of nose hair!

And I MORE then pointed out how different it is to hold a cellphone then it is to wear goggles. Do you hold up a phone right under your nose when you speak? Please share a video of you talking on a cellphone like that, we would all get a good laugh.

As for the other comments, my goggles are stored next to my computer, in the open. They've had plenty of time to breath. They only seem to make the smell when they are warm. It's barely noticeable at first, and grows with time. If you only used them for 10 minutes, I doubt you'd ever notice it. After about 30 minutes, it's definitely noticeable. Most VR demos are pretty short, but if you view a bunch of them, back to back, or play something longer, it can become apparent.

Look, I'm just trying to be helpful and point out a minor thing that could be easily corrected before release. I'm familiar with this odor, it's a kind of industrial biproduct. I can only hope it's not toxic, as I have already been exposed to a bunch well before I ever got my Dk2. But at least then I wasn't huffing the stuff. With the goggles held right under my nose, now I kinda am.
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    People have now been using the Rift, in some case literally, for years now, with no ill effects reported. Of course, we still need a 20 year study, but eh.

This reminds me of the RF waves emitted by cell phones causing brain cancer level of paranoia. On that note though, I find I tend to sneeze when I'm wearing the Rift.. anyone else get that?
    Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4:
    Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG
  • I also have issues with the smell of the DK2, and I've been using it for 6 months now.
    At the beginning it was not an issue at all, I think I didn't even noticed it.

But after a very long session of Half-life 2 with the rift, and nearly throwing up once or twice with sickness (really), my mind completely linked both things.

I had to stop using it for one month, because putting the rift on my head would immediately make me sick again.
    The 'quality' of the smell itself is really not a problem, you may like it or not, but the real problem is it exists.

I've looked a bit on that subject, and discovered that smell is directly linked to long term memory.
    You may already know that memory is not only about knowing things, but that it does very well with feeling and emotions.
    Try to remember a time when you did something very intense (first kiss maybe, or a skydive jump?) and pay attention to the feelings that will rise in your mind and body.

The thing is, with smell, the memory is a LOT stronger for a few reasons detailed here :
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/perception/smell3.htm

I'm convinced it would happen with every kind of feeling / emotion: like fear for example.

All this to say it's important to pay attention to the smell of the rift otherwise :
    - people would play horror games once, and never play again
    - a strong sickness experience with a bad game, may create a bad experience with every game

Or we could create a game to remove that memory association, it should be easy with a few NLP + visualization games :)
    But it would require you plugging your nose while doing it I suppose. :lol: