Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nighttime Terror Demo - now available on Oculus Home

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nighttime Terror

www.NighttimeTerror.com

You can grab Nighttime Terror via Oculus Home. If you have Rift, visit the above link for the Windows demo.

And this is the Share page:
https://share.oculus.com/app/nighttime-terror-demo

This is the old post. I keep it up because it demonstrates how the injector tool worked.
Installation
Testing apps on GearVR is not as trivial as on the Rift, since apps need to contain a device specific signature file. Usually, this signature file has to be included at compile time, however I have written GearVRPublicAPKTesting, a little tool which can inject signature files into an existing apk.

• Download my game: http://vr-bits.com/#nighttimeterror Preview is now closed. Thanks to everyone for testing the game. Expect a GearVR release in the near future.

• Use this Android app to get your device id (also made by me): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyworxx.gearvrnote4deviceidgrabber

• Create a signature file on this website: https://developer.oculus.com/tools/debug/

• Download this tool and unpack it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyi8xnxxakpq6km/GearVRPublicAPKTesting_0.0.2.7z?dl=0 (it requires JRE)

• Place my game and your signature file in the folder of the tool

• In a command prompt navigate to that folder and run:
    run.bat NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE
    Replace YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE with the name of your signature file
    For mac users, calling the PublicAPKTesting.jar directly should work:
    java -jar PublicAPKTesting.jar NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE

• A new apk has been created with the name signed_NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk. Transfer it to your phone. select it in the 'my files" file browser, install it and launch it from the app drawer (NOT from Oculus Home)

• Start the game and enter your username (right panel) if you like. Let's see who can beat the highscore 😄
54 REPLIES 54

Kingchud
Honored Guest
Awesome! Giving it a shot right now and I'll let you know how it goes 😄

Edit: So just got done playing for about 20-30 min, overall I think it's a fun game. The head movement for character movement takes a bit to get used to. I'm not sure if you have it that way for people without controllers or for difficulty reasons but I feel like it would be a lot easier if you added controller movement instead.

My favorite level was the bedroom because of the smaller space. It was easier to focus on what is around you and the enemies seemed to have an easier time pathing to you so there was more action. I noticed on the christmas level that the enemies were starting waaaaaay to the right and walking along the outside of the rug before coming in to attack you and with the size of that level it made it feel really slow and empty. Also noticed a bunch of things that I could walk through or shoot through but I'm sure you're working on those.

The music on the menu was nice but it was weird that you didn't have any playing during the levels. I also noticed that with my BT headphones there was about a half second to second delay in the audio but when I plugged my wired headphones in that was gone. I know Zero-gee has mentioned on the GearVR reddit that there are latency issues with BT headphones on the Note 4 so I wasn't sure if that was the issue or if it is something else.

Overall it was a fun demo and I was able to see another person on the Global Scoreboard so that is fun to compete on. I loved the Technolust present and the Darkfield poster, awesome nods to other great VR games.

Your signature tool worked great for me and hopefully it will inspire other devs to release apks for testing now.

If there is anything else you're interested in knowing or that you want tested specifically you can PM me and I can take a look for you. Thank you for all the hard work you've done on making the tools so we can test these apks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for testing!

My guesstimate is that roughly 25% of all GearVR users don't have a gamepad. This is why the controls are look based for the GearVR version. I am working on a Rift version which will have controller support, but I didn't want to fragment the leaderboards too much (e.g. Gear-Look, Gear-Gamepad, Rift-Look, Rift-Gamepad).

If the music was turned off during the levels, try toggling the music options in the menu, the default is probably "off" even though the toggle shows "on".

Glad you found the easter eggs :).

The testing process is not that comfortable at the moment. I am working on a more streamlined solution.

Thanks again for testing. Now I am off to beat your highscore :).

natbro
Honored Guest
nice instructions for re-packing an APK - that would be an awesome standalone tool for people to use to share APK's with one another, especially with novice/non-programmer users. but for now super useful instructions just for testing with other technical folks, thanks for figuring it out!

rsplatpc
Honored Guest
I get "Nighttime Terror has closed unexpectedly" after 2-4 seconds of music and a black screen

Anonymous
Not applicable
"natbro" wrote:
nice instructions for re-packing an APK - that would be an awesome standalone tool for people to use to share APK's with one another, especially with novice/non-programmer users. but for now super useful instructions just for testing with other technical folks, thanks for figuring it out!

I am working on a more streamlined solution for sharing apks :).

"rsplatpc" wrote:
I get "Nighttime Terror has closed unexpectedly" after 2-4 seconds of music and a black screen

That is really odd. Did you inject the signature file and transfer the "signed_" apk over to the phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Kingchud" wrote:
I noticed on the christmas level that the enemies were starting waaaaaay to the right and walking along the outside of the rug before coming in to attack you and with the size of that level it made it feel really slow and empty.

Ah, I looked at the level again and found the problem. Enemies can now climb onto the carpet :). Will release a new version shortly

Kingchud
Honored Guest
Awesome! Glad I could help 😄

Kgilmer
Honored Guest
can someone post a video of game play. As t9 not having a controller most people with out a controller are less likely to be gamers on the gear vr, I would think.

mallmagician
Expert Protege
Not tried it yet, but I do think that game pad support on those games that would benefit from it, should be included. I think that anyone that has bought the Gear VR is likely to get themselves a game pad after realising they can't play a number of the games.

I think anyone that doesn't have a game pad and that will not buy one, are using the Gear VR for movies and photos exclusively, with little to no interest in the games (because if they were interested - they'd have bought a gamepad)