Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nighttime Terror Demo - now available on Oculus Home

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nighttime Terror

www.NighttimeTerror.com

You can grab Nighttime Terror via Oculus Home. If you have Rift, visit the above link for the Windows demo.

And this is the Share page:
https://share.oculus.com/app/nighttime-terror-demo

This is the old post. I keep it up because it demonstrates how the injector tool worked.
Installation
Testing apps on GearVR is not as trivial as on the Rift, since apps need to contain a device specific signature file. Usually, this signature file has to be included at compile time, however I have written GearVRPublicAPKTesting, a little tool which can inject signature files into an existing apk.

• Download my game: http://vr-bits.com/#nighttimeterror Preview is now closed. Thanks to everyone for testing the game. Expect a GearVR release in the near future.

• Use this Android app to get your device id (also made by me): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyworxx.gearvrnote4deviceidgrabber

• Create a signature file on this website: https://developer.oculus.com/tools/debug/

• Download this tool and unpack it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyi8xnxxakpq6km/GearVRPublicAPKTesting_0.0.2.7z?dl=0 (it requires JRE)

• Place my game and your signature file in the folder of the tool

• In a command prompt navigate to that folder and run:
    run.bat NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE
    Replace YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE with the name of your signature file
    For mac users, calling the PublicAPKTesting.jar directly should work:
    java -jar PublicAPKTesting.jar NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk YOUR_SIGNATURE_FILE

• A new apk has been created with the name signed_NighttimeTerror_0.16_LAUNCHER.apk. Transfer it to your phone. select it in the 'my files" file browser, install it and launch it from the app drawer (NOT from Oculus Home)

• Start the game and enter your username (right panel) if you like. Let's see who can beat the highscore 😄
54 REPLIES 54

diegomistake
Honored Guest
"agentspyboo" wrote:
Also how do I launch the game. Do I plug it into the phone like normal and will it be in the installed section?

Ones you get your signed_NighttimeTerror_0.09.apk file tranfer it to your note 4 then when you find it, instal the file and the it will show a app with a unity logo click on it and then use you gear vr

Anonymous
Not applicable
"diegomistake" wrote:
"UnclePappy" wrote:
Hmmmm.... I'm getting stopped at step 3. The page says I need to log in to continue. And the page just hangs after I click "log in" and the Oculus logo just rotates. So this is as far as I can get.

Just have to log in with your oculus website id in that wensite you have to put your device id that you get from the app that he created and them click download that file will be your signature file

I'm logged into the Oculus site now. Step 3 page says I can't enter any info until I log in. But when I click "log in", the page just hangs up, Oculus logo spinning. I can enter anything w/o logging in.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"UnclePappy" wrote:
"diegomistake" wrote:
"UnclePappy" wrote:
Hmmmm.... I'm getting stopped at step 3. The page says I need to log in to continue. And the page just hangs after I click "log in" and the Oculus logo just rotates. So this is as far as I can get.

Just have to log in with your oculus website id in that wensite you have to put your device id that you get from the app that he created and them click download that file will be your signature file

I'm logged into the Oculus site now. Step 3 page says I can't enter any info until I log in. But when I click "log in", the page just hangs up, Oculus logo spinning. I can enter anything w/o logging in.

I had the same issue with Chrome and couldn't login, then i tried it on Firefox, with similar issues, only after i deactivated the noscript plugin, i could login. But it's still weird that it diden't work with Chrome, as i don't have a noscript plugin installed there.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
So i tested the app and here are some thoughts:

1. I noticed some occasional frameratedrops but that could have been because my battery was already low, therefore not sure.
2. When the levels are being loaded, the time to read how to control the game and about power ups was way to short for me. Better would be if you could tab again to confirm reading them.
3. After the hero dies, i can still shoot around and kill monsters.
4. On the one hand it would be more comfortable to control the game with a gamepad + headmovements for the shooting direction, as you could move and shoot at the same time but on the other hand, it would make the game easier, so not sure what is better after all.
5. It would be nice if you could not only shoot in one layer direction but also up and down, similar to Herobound with crosshairs to show you where you are shooting at. But this could also make the game easier asswell, so also not sure if better.

But overall it's a fun little game.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

1. Do the framedrops occur randomly or when many enemies are on the screen?
2. Yes, this will be addressed soon
3. Fixed in the new version 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I uploaded a new version (0.11) which contains more original art and bugfixes.

The game's difficulty has changed due to the inclusion of ranged enemies (the chameleon). The leaderboard will be wiped in the coming days to ensure a fair comparison 🙂

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"skyworxx" wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts 🙂

1. Do the framedrops occur randomly or when many enemies are on the screen?
2. Yes, this will be addressed soon
3. Fixed in the new version 🙂

Oh noes my poor highscore record is only so young and will be killed soon 😞

1) I think it mostly occures when there are many enemies on screen but occasional also when only a few are there.
2) Oddly in Version 0.09 i thought it was already plenty of time to read

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Version 0.11:

1.The level loading screen which also explains the power ups and controll, seems to be showing black squares when moving the head.
2.The crosshairs seem to stutter/judder at times when moving around.

Edit: 3. It would be nice to see how much health is left before dieing, since you can heal yourself but don't know when you should.

Anonymous
Not applicable
0.15 brings many (many) improvements. Highlights are:

• Vertical Aiming

• Health Indicator

• Redesigned Bleak Bedroom

Anonymous
Not applicable
0.15b fixes a bug in the office level whoch stopped at wave 3

http://vr-bits.com/#nighttimeterror