cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i get more FOV on my gear vr by removing the face foam

diegomistake
Honored Guest
I just try my gear vr with no foam and i get more fov and looks great. Anybody try this before?
I try to find a better way to doit cus now is hard to go back to de binocular fov
I manage to get a little confortable way by placing the foam on certaing ways
29 REPLIES 29

neo1875
Explorer
Yup that's right, so comforts the bit that need comforting (nose and cheeks) but allows me to be closer to the lens

Paddyman
Honored Guest
Seriously - i have just tried this and found it made a BIG improvement on viewing quality. It may sound strange but the SDE even looks reduced.

Thanks for the tip. Yes the physical comfort is reduced a bit, but i genuinely find the view more comfortable.

This has surprised me.

portudork
Honored Guest
"neo1875" wrote:
I've played with this some more and have managed to put the padding back in and achieve the same effect just by making the over the head strap really loose so that the headset leans a little away from my face at the top, much, much better experience!

I was able to achieve the same using the pad that includes nose padding. Its just an adjustment of the straps. Any prolonged use without the pads for me leaves creases on around my face like a suction cup. Probably not good for circulation, i don't recommend it.

Kakulin
Explorer
Please post pictures of how the foam looks after cutting it up! (for guidance)

Nilick
Honored Guest
Just did this and it turned out fantastic!

karrtoon
Expert Protege
I have been doing this with no pads since I got the GearVR. The only sides effect from this I noticed were the plastic would rest on my nose so it would have a red mark when I was done using it. Also the lenses would fog up a lot easier. I took the second pad that comes in the GearVR case and cut the nose piece section out to use it. I still need to find some good anti-fog spray but fov is much better this way. The only other slight downside, sometimes when the framerate dips you can see the black edges where the asynconous timewarp is shifting the image around. I had my fiancee try it and she actually said she liked it a lot better with the padding, so this may only be good for those that care about fov and using it on a regular basis. She didn't seem to care about the added fov too much.

Jotokutora
Adventurer

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"Jotokutora" wrote:
A guy in Reddit posted the same technique, I will try it myself and see if its good.

Maybe it's the same guy from here 🙂

But i'm also curious if it helps.

Jotokutora
Adventurer
It woks, but I ended cutting more that in the picture. So the pieces are little smaller on the top, and also lower nose portion. But frankly, it is OK either way. I noticed the FOV increase a little, don't like that I can see more straight line borders. I wonder if the CV1 will have a larger FOV that 110 degrees (DK1) with new type lenses.

The VRelia Pro will offer 130 FOV, but uses dual 1080ps vertically. I'm curious about that unit now.

Kakulin
Explorer
Thanks! After cutting it like the picture I immediately noticed the big improvement that I can now use Gear VR when not wearing contact lenses (fortunately also both my eyes have matching corrections).