cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DirectX 9 (DX9) Will be Deprecated Starting with Next SDK

cybereality
Grand Champion
Due to API and resource limitations, we’ve decided to deprecate DirectX 9 support and will be removing it from LibOVR in the near future. This will allow us to focus on future work using DirectX 11 and OpenGL that will help deliver a great VR experience on Windows.

Apps that use DirectX 9 will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but they won’t compile in future SDK releases and may have additional runtime latency after we remove DirectX 9 support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
58 REPLIES 58

diegofkda
Honored Guest
It's such a bad decision. I can understand that the Oculus Rift was meant to be a cool and revolutionary product, and it actually is, but if at the start of the project you say DirectX 9, at the mid of the project you release two development kits with DX9 support, receiving really good opinions about it, making developers from different games work to offer the best Oculus Rift support in their games (I'm talking specially about LFS), and then you say no DirectX 9.0 support without even offering a solution, doesn't talk that good about this team. You aren't dumb persons, so I know you thought about the developers work and all the time that should be wasted with this decision. Upgrading from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11 isn't an easy job, considering older computers won't support it. However, if you expected games will upgrade from 9 to 11 because of this, I guess you thought wrong, sadly. That doesn't do good for the product popularity. It's such a dissapointing thing to be honest.

lmaceleighton
Honored Guest
I was told this was going to happen by several people, and looks like they were right on. It is NOT a bad move,it is a good move on Oculus's side. DX9 isn't just old, it's over the hill and its been replaced with newer code, that is more efficient, which is only good for VR int he long run. They need code that is going to be worked on and updated.

~B :ugeek:

owenwp
Expert Protege
It's a complication, but the bandaid had to come off sooner or later. Better now than after a lot of commercial games have been released. The limitations of DX9 are hard to work around, especially when you need performance (or you know, antialiasing for render targets). And bending over backwards to support the porting of older games that were not designed for VR in the first place isn't worth it, not to mention older hardware that would be very unlikely to hit 90hz with just about any game.

kojack
MVP
MVP
"kegetys" wrote:
Ouch, that is a lot of development time gone down the trash, extremely bad decision at this point in time in my opinion.

A worse decision than targeting your development entirely to an api from 12 years ago that is about to be replaced for the 3rd time?

Direct rift mode DX9 has never worked 100%, there are parts that return incorrect values. So this isn't surprising.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

HiThere_
Superstar
"gu3st12" wrote:
I was planning to purchase a CV1 and recommend it to people if it was any good, but when the game that's most interesting for it won't work

DirectX 9 is over 10 years old : What's the point of supporting old hardware that can't run the CV1 anyway.

As for the most interesting software to play when CV1 becomes available : It isn't out yet.

The real shame is that Microsoft won't put DirectX 12 on Windows 7 (of course...), so Oculus VR can't go straight for DirectX 12 as it otherwise could have. Bad news for Microsoft, good news for Sony who is aiming for a VR headset instead of an OS update.

And truth is this wasn't a poll 🙂

saviornt
Protege
Well, Microsoft isn't releasing DX12 for Windows 7 or Windows 8, since, well.. Windows 10 is a "free upgrade for a year".. whatever that means.

Edit: And developers / game studios that are still creating their content using DX9.. :roll: I have an issue at a number of job sites that are still using Windows XP. Whoever decided this move, Windows XP doesn't support the new hardware that they are rolling out when the machine goes down. Pure.. freaking.. genius.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

DarrenM
Explorer
Not all games that have been getting rift support are new. I'm not surprised that devs who have worked on adding support to older engined games, like kegetys with RBR, would feel burnt by this move.

It's going to be a big mess when some games support the new version but others can't.

Hopefully someone can make a runtime switcher if it ends up being necessary to swap back for the dx9 games. iRacing (dx11 support in progress), Live for Speed, Richard Burns Rally, Euro Truck Sim et al. It also cuts off hope of CV1 support for those games 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Cyril" wrote:
"gu3st12" wrote:
I was planning to purchase a CV1 and recommend it to people if it was any good, but when the game that's most interesting for it won't work

DirectX 9 is over 10 years old : What's the point of supporting old hardware that can't run the CV1 anyway.

As for the most interesting software to play when CV1 becomes available : It isn't out yet.

The real shame is that Microsoft won't put DirectX 12 on Windows 7 (of course...), so Oculus VR can't go straight for DirectX 12 as it otherwise could have. Bad news for Microsoft, good news for Sony who is aiming for a VR headset instead of an OS update.

And truth is this wasn't a poll 🙂

Right, because my GTX 970 doesn't support DX9 anymore...

Oh wait, it does so I'd be able to use a CV1 (theoretically) perfectly fine. New hardware has fine backwards compatibility back to DX9. It's not like I would try to use a CV1 on a fucking 3dfx card.

They're just shooting themselves in the foot. Alienating developers and consumers alike. Developers will lose trust, as their updates to DX10/11 might be killed overnight one day with a similar announcement. Instability is the death of a hardware and software platform, and this is obvious instability.

Thoemse
Protege
Why would anyone making a new game start building it with DX9?
That's not reasonable at all. It will make it hard to add VR support to old titles but it should be a non issue for new VR-focused titles.

genetransfer
Explorer
Thank you so much for letting us know, I was about to continue to use my dx9 engine but now I will use my dx11 engine instead. Saved me from making vapor ware.