cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

fill
Honored Guest
"guygodin" wrote:
I've also fixed (I hope) the issue with the background drop-down not working for some people.

Never worked for me before, works like a charm now! I love the theater background, I've been looking forward to using it! 😄

Ranger_101
Honored Guest
First off, thanks for making a great piece of software, one that genuinely made me go wow when I started it up.

I have a question regarding using VLC to show SBS movies. If I use windows media player and go full screen I can use the F keys to get a movie in 3D. Only problem is that WMP seems to be very inefficient and struggles with playback at full speed.

VLC works fine as far as playback is concerned, but when I play an SBS movie I get an odd display. Instead of half left half right, I get 2/3 left and 1/3 right, thus breaking the 3D. It's like the right hand display gets 'lost' out of the side of the VLC window.

Without virtual desktop running I get SBS using VLC. As soon as i start virtual desktop VLC jumps to the uneven display.

Any ideas how to fix this?

TL;DR SBS 3D works in windows media player, broken in VLC.

guygodin
Protege
Im not sure why VLC does this. It's kinda out of my control honestly 😮 I personally use Windiws Media Player for everything.

twocows
Honored Guest
I downloaded this more because taking the Rift off every ten seconds was annoying and I've been absolutely floored by this. It performs absolutely perfectly and, having never had a particularly large monitor, being able to view pictures and do internet browsing and such on something like a 100" floating screen suspended in space just floored me when I first tried it.

I just donated $20 to support future development. Thank you so much for this application! It's everything I wanted and much more. Looking forward to fullscreen support!

Also, I really like the backgrounds! Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but is there any way to toggle the desktop view off? It'd be kind of neat to chill out and listen to music with some of these backgrounds.

danielpeixe
Protege
Hi!
Im extremelly impressed with this software!! I happily discovered that the January 25th update worked flawlessly in my laptop. Previous versions wouldnt work but this one did. Today after updating my nvidia driver to the version 347.25 , I try to use Virtual Desktop and to my surprise it doesnt work anymore!. I does show me the desktop but its frozen and it doesnt seem to update. Then windows pops up a notification on the taskbar saying that the Intel display driver crashed and recovered. On the oculus the desktop goes black and comes back intermitently.
Could the Nvidia update cause this errors? As I mentioned it worked flawlessly just yesterday, before I did the driver update.

I did follow your recommendations on the website about the nvidia power management options etc.

Here's my setup:
Razer Blade Laptop
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core
Processor with Hyper Threading
2.2GHz / 3.2GHz (Base/Turbo)

Chipset
Mobile Intel® PCHM 8
series chipset, HM87

Memory
8GB onboard memory
(DDR3L-1600MHz)

Graphics and Video
Intel® HD4600
NVIDIA® GeForce®
GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5
VRAM, Optimus™ Technology)

Thank you so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a wonderful program and I will most certainly support what I can. I just recently spent $10 for Ciberveo and I really wish I hadn't after using this. I do have a question though, why is there not a curve screen option in the home theater? I have "How the West Was Won" which was filmed in cinerama and meant for a curved screen and having that option in the home theater setting would be outstanding. Also, is it possible for us to make our own theater setting?

tbhausen
Explorer
Nvidia 347.25 is working fine here.

Peregrine
Honored Guest
Fun thing I've noticed. Because a lot of the blurring is caused by chromatic aberration. And because the chromatic aberration is colour based. Turning up the screen vibrancy for the DK2 will improve clarity substantially.

If you're having trouble reading text try it out.

Peregrine
Honored Guest
Oh! I was so caught up in that I forgot to post my question! 😄

What format are the background images/are there any custom backgrounds available? I'd prefer to use a non-space background like a field or forest. Cheers!

guygodin
Protege
"twocows" wrote:
I downloaded this more because taking the Rift off every ten seconds was annoying and I've been absolutely floored by this. It performs absolutely perfectly and, having never had a particularly large monitor, being able to view pictures and do internet browsing and such on something like a 100" floating screen suspended in space just floored me when I first tried it.

I just donated $20 to support future development. Thank you so much for this application! It's everything I wanted and much more. Looking forward to fullscreen support!

Also, I really like the backgrounds! Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but is there any way to toggle the desktop view off? It'd be kind of neat to chill out and listen to music with some of these backgrounds.

Thanks for the support, there's no way to hide the monitor entirely no.

"ELSIII" wrote:
This is a wonderful program and I will most certainly support what I can. I just recently spent $10 for Ciberveo and I really wish I hadn't after using this. I do have a question though, why is there not a curve screen option in the home theater? I have "How the West Was Won" which was filmed in cinerama and meant for a curved screen and having that option in the home theater setting would be outstanding. Also, is it possible for us to make our own theater setting?

Sorry to hear you wasted 10$ on this 😞 The theater mode uses a fixed mesh so it doesn't support a floating curved screen. Maybe in the future I'll have some fixed environments with curved screens, can't promise anything.

"danielpeixe" wrote:
Today after updating my nvidia driver to the version 347.25 , I try to use Virtual Desktop and to my surprise it doesnt work anymore!. I does show me the desktop but its frozen and it doesnt seem to update. Then windows pops up a notification on the taskbar saying that the Intel display driver crashed and recovered. On the oculus the desktop goes black and comes back intermitently.
Could the Nvidia update cause this errors? As I mentioned it worked flawlessly just yesterday, before I did the driver update.

Optimus configurations have been plagued by this driver bug for a while. I'd recommend switching back to 344.75 which seems to be a good version.

Peregrine: this has been asked many times before, the format is quite complex and I cannot support custom backgrounds.