cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

Anonymous
Not applicable
"guygodin" wrote:
Optimus configurations have been plagued by this driver bug for a while. I'd recommend switching back to 344.75 which seems to be a good version.

Optimus is the biggest crap ever. Later generations are going to facepalm while they say something like "How could they be so stupid".

Optimus is the best example of creating something that is great for the time, but without considerations for the unknown the future brings.

bonnie
Honored Guest
Hiya,

I'm trying out VirtualDesktop and having some issues with it. So I wanted to check in to see if I'm setting up things correctly.

My Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
Firmware: 2.12
Oculus Runtime 0.4.4-Beta

1st time I run VDesktop, the display is flipped
Changed the display to Portrait and to duplicate monitors. (When the rift was an extended display, the display orientation setting wasn't affecting it)

I'm only getting a small fish eye circle of the desktop. I quit out of Virtual Desktop. I try to rerun Virtual Desktop. Nothing changes on my screen. I wasn't sure if that means it's still running. I do see it running as a background process on my Task Manager.

I'm also getting Rift not detected error.

Is this expected? How should the desktop be visually shown on my Rift?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got some bug reports and feature requests.

Bug 1:
In video mode, if I move the VR desktop settings window far to the left of the screen, I think probably the moment it goes outside the viewport, the program crashes.

Bug 2:
If I start windows photo slideshow (fullscreen) while in VR desktop, weird things happen. I cannot exit the slideshow and no controls like space to play/pause or mouse right click is responsive. Even after I quit VR desktop things are left in a messy state. When I tried to use task manager to close the slide show, all monitors went blank and I had to cut power to my PC to restart it.

Feature request:
A larger cinema environment. The current one is great, but I find the screen too small. It makes it extra hard to see details in the video.

guygodin
Protege
"bonnie" wrote:
Hiya,

I'm trying out VirtualDesktop and having some issues with it. So I wanted to check in to see if I'm setting up things correctly.

My Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
Firmware: 2.12
Oculus Runtime 0.4.4-Beta

1st time I run VDesktop, the display is flipped
Changed the display to Portrait and to duplicate monitors. (When the rift was an extended display, the display orientation setting wasn't affecting it)

I'm only getting a small fish eye circle of the desktop. I quit out of Virtual Desktop. I try to rerun Virtual Desktop. Nothing changes on my screen. I wasn't sure if that means it's still running. I do see it running as a background process on my Task Manager.

I'm also getting Rift not detected error.

Is this expected? How should the desktop be visually shown on my Rift?

Check the FAQ on the website, you should setup your rift in extended mode, not duplicate. The Rift should be oriented so that its resolution is 1920x1080.

"GrixM" wrote:
I got some bug reports and feature requests.

Bug 1:
In video mode, if I move the VR desktop settings window far to the left of the screen, I think probably the moment it goes outside the viewport, the program crashes.

Bug 2:
If I start windows photo slideshow (fullscreen) while in VR desktop, weird things happen. I cannot exit the slideshow and no controls like space to play/pause or mouse right click is responsive. Even after I quit VR desktop things are left in a messy state. When I tried to use task manager to close the slide show, all monitors went blank and I had to cut power to my PC to restart it.

Feature request:
A larger cinema environment. The current one is great, but I find the screen too small. It makes it extra hard to see details in the video.

Bug 1: The issue is with windows being dragged onto the Rift. It's a behavior with fullscreen applications; can't do anything about it.
Bug 2: Fullscreen applications dont currently work with VD. They will in the near future.
Virtual Desktop Developer

Benthos
Honored Guest
"danielpeixe" wrote:
Hi!
Im extremelly impressed with this software!! I happily discovered that the January 25th update worked flawlessly in my laptop. Previous versions wouldnt work but this one did. Today after updating my nvidia driver to the version 347.25 , I try to use Virtual Desktop and to my surprise it doesnt work anymore!. I does show me the desktop but its frozen and it doesnt seem to update. Then windows pops up a notification on the taskbar saying that the Intel display driver crashed and recovered. On the oculus the desktop goes black and comes back intermitently.
Could the Nvidia update cause this errors? As I mentioned it worked flawlessly just yesterday, before I did the driver update.

I did follow your recommendations on the website about the nvidia power management options etc.

Here's my setup:
Razer Blade Laptop
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core
Processor with Hyper Threading
2.2GHz / 3.2GHz (Base/Turbo)

Chipset
Mobile Intel® PCHM 8
series chipset, HM87

Memory
8GB onboard memory
(DDR3L-1600MHz)

Graphics and Video
Intel® HD4600
NVIDIA® GeForce®
GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5
VRAM, Optimus™ Technology)

Thank you so much!

I am having the same issue as daniel, though using the 344.75 driver with the Jan 25 update. Optimus laptop with 64bitWin7 and GTX 870M (need it for travel, otherwise I would throw the thing under a bus).

I have disabled aero, and set up the recommended GPU settings. When I run VRDesktop it starts, in the Rift head tracking works and the mouse still moves around the screen, though the image that is shown is the screen before VRDesktop is opened. The mouse will not interact with the desktop seen in the Rift. The main monitor shows the VRDesktop settings screen, the Rift doesn't. Then a little while later the intel graphics crashes and the screen goes black for a while and then restores though the rift screen is black now.

Edit: Just unistalled the 64bit VRDesktop and tried the 32bit version, though it crashes on start with the message that it is "Unable to load DLL 'Mfplat.dll': THe specific module could not be found." I have media player installed and the System 32 folder contains mfplat.dll as does the installation folder for the 32bit VRDesktop.

Rustywolf
Honored Guest
Hey i'm not sure if i'm overlooking something, or if this has been an issue for anyone else but when i open the VRDesktop app, i have a copy of what was on my screen at the time appear on the oculus as you would expect, but then i have no mouse and the screen doesnt update, regardless of what im doing. Eventually the display on the oculus crashes and a message pops up saying 'Display driver stopped responding and has recovered'. Any ideas?

Axulus
Honored Guest
Nevermind, fixed with driver update

Neith
Honored Guest
I guess it's my graphics card or my dual-monitor setup, but when I run vr desktop I get my main monitor in the rift, duplicating my second monitor. I can't access the settings of your program without running it first, and I can't move the settings window to the monitor I can see to change anything. It'd be great if that settings window were an actual window that could be moved (via shortcuts at the very least), or if I could run settings without running the vrdesktop first...or being able to run vrdesktop in true "windowed" mode.

Duckers_McQuack
Protege
My issues is withthe frame stuttering and jittering when i turn my head, like every 5 frame froze or jumped a frame, very annoying, plus i had a case a few minutes before when everything showing on my rift were jumping up and down very fast.

Specs:
i7-4770k
Asus gtx 980 STRIX
16GB ram.

It worked fine until i tried to activate nvidia DSR and that was when the jittering started. I tried to revert any changes i did, but nothing helped 😕

konsterminator
Honored Guest
Hey guys, new here.
I'd just like to say that I was originally outstanded with how awesome this looked! and the price xD I was even going to donate as soon as I would get it working. There comes the problem. For 3 hours or so I've been trying to get this to work but to no avail. Googling and roaming the forums provided "solutions" but none that worked for me.

My first problem was that no rift was detected. a quick uninstall and restart of vrdesktop and oculus sdk did the trick. Then I had *slash* currently have a problem with the monitor. Since I'm using a laptop i was fairly certain i had a screen (!) xD but changing my display to extend rather than duplicate did the trick. but then I hit a wall.

mfplat.dll could not be found.

someone posted a solution to download the media feature pack but I still have the problem. I can't even send a bug report because too many are being sent by the application, apparently 😞

I'm using the latest Runtime
Win7 64x
and a standard toshiba laptop 😞
Oculus DK1