cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CV1 must not be less than 1440p...

WhiteSkyMage
Honored Guest
It's true you will might need 2 cards but it is time to push Nvidia and AmD to "preorder" next smaller nanometer nodes. If they buy the new smaller chips first then mobile chip companies will not have anything (which is what must happen! Who needs phones? - they are just pointless with Oculus rift on the market!) The high end market must start getting leaps of performance in order to drive virtual reality to its immersion!
43 REPLIES 43

frankzappa
Honored Guest
...or it will FAIL?

kojack
MVP
MVP
"WhiteSkyMage" wrote:
Who needs phones? - they are just pointless with Oculus rift on the market!

True. I much prefer using a pc, DK2 and a portable generator to make phone calls while walking around rather than a phone.
I can wheel it around on a trolley, so it's technically mobile. 🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree that it needs to be 1440p.

I'm waiting until the 12th to order my Gear VR, but I've already held my DK2 lenses up to the screen, and the SDE was noticeably improved. I see no reason to not use 1440p, we can always upscale from 1080p.

Wireline
Explorer
I'm not sure I agree with this anymore. We've already had the "higher res does not equal no SDE" arguments, which though not openly proven has come from some high level sources.

However for me the issue has been about resolution, and to be honest I have found that using NVidia DSR makes a MASSIVE difference to the image quality in the rift. A great example is Prepar3D, where usually I would struggle to read the gauges in the aircraft, and from the normal pilot position the cockpit detail would be quite jaggy.

However I set the resolution of the rift to essentially 4K, and the difference is like night and day. Its still not as good as looking at a normal monitor, but is a leaps and bounds improvement.

The problem of course is that with higher resolutions and higher refresh, the hardware you need will just keep going up and up. How many people are currently maxing everything out with their DK2's? I've got an overclocked Haswell-E and two overclocked 980's, and there is still stuff that struggles (without DSR), such as DCS World.

I think a lot of this is going to come down to software.

WhiteSkyMage
Honored Guest
For 4K screen (note 5) wouldn't be possible from every angle you looks at it:
- HDMI 2.0 does not support a resolution of 4k @90fps, max is 60fps, so unless they do not use display port 1.3, I don't see the chance...
- No GPU can do 90 fps at 4k and Oculus needs to run on a PCM with no more than 2 cards in SLI.
- it will be more expensive, not only the gear itself but the PC behind it...Meaning that it will be an expensive upgrade even for enthusiasts.
- Even with 1440p screen, it will still be good for couple of years time. Even when graphics cards reach the performance for 4K using 1 card, people will just use DSR and AAs, and actually even now if you have 2 GTX 980s or Titans. Bare in mind that 1440p is still challenging on highest settings game (none of you want to take down graphics quality, am I right?) if you are looking at something less than a GTX 970.

I will however be disappointed if Oculus decides on a normal 1080p screen again...It would just be bad...

Wireline
Explorer
"WhiteSkyMage" wrote:
- HDMI 2.0 does not support a resolution of 4k @90fps, max is 60fps, so unless they do not use display port 1.3, I don't see the chance...
- No GPU can do 90 fps at 4k and Oculus needs to run on a PCM with no more than 2 cards in SLI.
- it will be more expensive, not only the gear itself but the PC behind it...Meaning that it will be an expensive upgrade even for enthusiasts.
- Even with 1440p screen, it will still be good for couple of years time. Even when graphics cards reach the performance for 4K using 1 card, people will just use DSR and AAs, and actually even now if you have 2 GTX 980s or Titans. Bare in mind that 1440p is still challenging on highest settings game (none of you want to take down graphics quality, am I right?) if you are looking at something less than a GTX 970.

I will however be disappointed if Oculus desides on a normal 1080p screen again...It would just be bad...

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. With DSR, you are oversampling. The final image is still 1080p because thats what the DK2 is. I am not saying we need 4K, I am saying 1080p is fine - with oversampling.

That has been my experience at least 🙂

WhiteSkyMage
Honored Guest
"Wireline" wrote:
"WhiteSkyMage" wrote:

I will however be disappointed if Oculus desides on a normal 1080p screen again...It would just be bad...

I think you have misunderstood what I was saying. With DSR, you are oversampling. The final image is still 1080p because thats what the DK2 is. I am not saying we need 4K, I am saying 1080p is fine - with oversampling.

That has been my experience at least 🙂

I meant 4k display directly in Oculus CV1, (in other words they jump over the 1440p), if somebody comes across suggesting it... I wonder what will happen if you do 1440p using DSR...will it be unplayable...?

Anyway I just wish all companies making mobile devices like apple make a 1 year delay because of no mass production of chips for themselves... I will feel good to visit TSMC and see apple guys crying after finding out that all the next node chips are bought by Nvidia...

Wireline
Explorer
"WhiteSkyMage" wrote:

I meant 4k display directly if somebody comes across suggesting it... I wonder what will happen if you do 1440p using DSR...will it be unplayable...?

It will be machine dependent. I am running a 5820K @ 4.5GHz and SLI superclocked 980's, and I can run 4K DSR with P3D (flight sim) without judder. 2K DSR would be fine for it. I have also tried it in Elite Dangerous with 2K res and it was fine, looks so much better.

That hardware setup is of course pretty far from mainstream, so again we come back to the hardware / accessibility problem.

WhiteSkyMage
Honored Guest
"Wireline" wrote:
"WhiteSkyMage" wrote:

I meant 4k display directly if somebody comes across suggesting it... I wonder what will happen if you do 1440p using DSR...will it be unplayable...?

It will be machine dependent. I am running a 5820K @ 4.5GHz and SLI superclocked 980's, and I can run 4K DSR with P3D (flight sim) without judder. 2K DSR would be fine for it. I have also tried it in Elite Dangerous with 2K res and it was fine, looks so much better.

That hardware setup is of course pretty far from mainstream, so again we come back to the hardware / accessibility problem.

Yeah I got 5820K but haven't come to OC it yet. Also for now 1 GTx 980...will buy the other one when I get my ROG 4K IPS screen this summer...I will WC the 2nd one. At least for the Oculus Rift CV1 I will be ready to rock it with some heavy graphics...

I will see my CPU when I see I need the extra performance for future multi threaded games and video editing...