cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GearVR displays all black screen whenever connected

stupidn00b
Explorer
Having a tough time trying to use my GearVR. Whenever I insert the phone into the headset, the screen goes black with a little white X in the corner. I can't tap the X fast enough when I unplug it because it goes back to the Android home screen right away.

I've already been through Oculus account setup on the device, downloaded the apps, etc. It just goes black as soon as I insert it instead of showing me Oculus Home. Anyone else having this issue?
66 REPLIES 66

budwheizzah
Explorer
The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since.... since what? Those mind reader controllers they sold for a few hundred bucks about three years ago? First thing I did with that cancerous little thing is to shut it out with a piece of black tape.

Bottom line though, this "consumer" product is a catastrophe. To begin with Samsung/Oculus thought it would be really cool to exlude the ENTIRE WORLD except the United States of America.... with a "CONSUMER" product. In Canada no Note 4 issued from a local carrier had the update required to run Gear VR. We had to pull a bunch of back flips to get a Verizon phone, and it's not something we pulled off overnight. It's a "we don't feel like it" "consumer" "product". Most experimental wobbly "doesn't work out of the box" tech I've ever seen in my life. DK2 is actually fifty times more "consumer model" than this farce.

At this point the light sensor has caused so many false negatives... but go figure we're at a point where anything we build off Unity just starts up black. Even with the light sensor shut.

Given how pleasant this "consumer" experience has been we will likely return both units shortly. Some "consumer" product you've introduced, here, Oculus.

HomerS66
Expert Protege
"budwheizzah" wrote:
The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since...

Light sensor? You mean proximity sensor. Maybe you have a faulty unit? Works flawlessly for me.

budwheizzah
Explorer
"HomerS66" wrote:
"budwheizzah" wrote:
The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since...

Light sensor? You mean proximity sensor. Maybe you have a faulty unit? Works flawlessly for me.

The included software works... but we've not been able to compile one single Unity app yet, including Oculus's own examples. From signature to Unity version to Pro and non Pro (I was punished for 1 month because I had pro) and the rest of this pleasant experience makes Gear VR the worst device I've worked with this year period.

The proximity sensor did not hinder development attempts, but its only use is to confuse the hell out of the user at first use (ex.: THIS thread) by making sure you can't do the "DK2 check" (look in the lenses make sure it's not black) and wondering why nothing is loading while it's actually this little cancerous POS that just waits for you to put your face in. Utter fail, right off the bat. There's more than one thread from beginners reporting black screens just because of that component. Why is it even there? Is it hazardous for light to come out of those lenses and not meet a pair of eyes? What a terrible idea. I assume it's for power consumption reasons which would make the existence of this thing even more absurd.

Anyway I'm returning these units. This is not a serious product.
-Still does not work with Canadian Note 4's. We had to pull backflips to get an American phone. A one-country product isn't "consumer VR". Not even close.
-Between Unity and Oculus development is a nightmare that I do not have time to deal with AT_ALL. Just recently having Unity Pro but no Android Pro would punish you outright, unable to compile proper Gear apps. It's a series of catches like this where Unity is constantly trying to keep up with Oculus.
-At this point all this is supposed to be solved, yet I can't compile one working app for the life of me, and frankly I've lost all interest to do so. Three weeks ago would've been fun but by now they can take these paperweights back.

Much rather spend my time on the DK2 stuff which has been far more productive for us.

manesoto
Explorer
i have the same problem with my vr, when i connect my phone i can only see a white circle incomplete in the center of the totally black screen 😐 i have a N9010T model T mobile anyone have any solution??? :cry:

cybereality
Grand Champion
How long have you waited with it on your face? Sometimes it take a moment to load.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

HomerS66
Expert Protege
Since yesterday i noticed that the loading circle freezes and locks to my head movement for several seconds till the circle unfreezes again and the Gear VR logo appears. maybe not a bug per se but a litle less comfortable than it was before.

manesoto
Explorer
about 5-7 minutes I already try with black tape on the sensor but after 30 minutes I turned off the phone because it only heats and still does not work :!:

AceHighness
Honored Guest
"budwheizzah" wrote:
The light sensor is likely the single worst idea I've seen since.... since what? Those mind reader controllers they sold for a few hundred bucks about three years ago? First thing I did with that cancerous little thing is to shut it out with a piece of black tape.

As a DK2 user, you probably don't realise this, but the HMD re-orients when you put it on. If there was no sensor, this would not happen. You would hand the device to someone to try out and they would be looking in the wrong direction.

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Gear VR. Maybe you can tell us which games you are making on DK2, so we know what we will be missing ?

RocMat1
Honored Guest
My unit was working flawlessly until just now and now I have this problem also.
Im starting to think it may be something wrong with the gear vr headset
Completely turned it off and took out the battery multiple times, waited 5 minutes and nothing
Before it took about 5 seconds.
Maybe its the updated version of the app?
I dont know but whatever it is it really really sucks I paid $200 for basically some goggles, and now they dont even work

Its making the beep sound when I plug it in....but the screen is just completely black, what is going on?

Catrik
Honored Guest
I had the same problem this is what solved my black screen

I took it down to our local mobile madness cell phone repair place. On my galaxy note 4 They took a soft dry toothbrush rubbed the micro usb port gently, and then used a air can to blow out the dust. And it now works fine.
toothbrush dry gently and air can... also how much space is taking up on the micro sd card games videos ect... effect how fast the gear VR loading screen starts hope this helps you out.

I believe this is also why they got rid of the micro sd card in the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge, much faster loading time 3.2x faster according to the lastest reviews and benchmarks.

Looking forward to getting a 128GB Galaxy S6 Edge and the new gear VR.