cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
"Neith" wrote:
I guess it's my graphics card or my dual-monitor setup, but when I run vr desktop I get my main monitor in the rift, duplicating my second monitor. I can't access the settings of your program without running it first, and I can't move the settings window to the monitor I can see to change anything. It'd be great if that settings window were an actual window that could be moved (via shortcuts at the very least), or if I could run settings without running the vrdesktop first...or being able to run vrdesktop in true "windowed" mode.

Set your monitor as the main display, not the Rift.
"Silithas" wrote:
My issues is withthe frame stuttering and jittering when i turn my head, like every 5 frame froze or jumped a frame, very annoying, plus i had a case a few minutes before when everything showing on my rift were jumping up and down very fast.

Specs:
i7-4770k
Asus gtx 980 STRIX
16GB ram.

It worked fine until i tried to activate nvidia DSR and that was when the jittering started. I tried to revert any changes i did, but nothing helped 😕

Virtual Desktop already super samples the render target to something like 5k so there's no benefit to using DSR. Make sure to plug the power adapter that comes with the rift, most of the time this is a solution to ocasional stuttering. Changing USB port can also help.
"konsterminator" wrote:

mfplat.dll could not be found.

I'm using the latest Runtime
Win7 64x
and a standard toshiba laptop 😞
Oculus DK1

Yes download the media feature pack (links are on the website) and reboot your computer. Then re-install virtual desktop.

Duckers_McQuack
Protege
"guygodin" wrote:
"Neith" wrote:
I guess it's my graphics card or my dual-monitor setup, but when I run vr desktop I get my main monitor in the rift, duplicating my second monitor. I can't access the settings of your program without running it first, and I can't move the settings window to the monitor I can see to change anything. It'd be great if that settings window were an actual window that could be moved (via shortcuts at the very least), or if I could run settings without running the vrdesktop first...or being able to run vrdesktop in true "windowed" mode.

Set your monitor as the main display, not the Rift.
"Silithas" wrote:
My issues is withthe frame stuttering and jittering when i turn my head, like every 5 frame froze or jumped a frame, very annoying, plus i had a case a few minutes before when everything showing on my rift were jumping up and down very fast.

Specs:
i7-4770k
Asus gtx 980 STRIX
16GB ram.

It worked fine until i tried to activate nvidia DSR and that was when the jittering started. I tried to revert any changes i did, but nothing helped 😕

Virtual Desktop already super samples the render target to something like 5k so there's no benefit to using DSR. Make sure to plug the power adapter that comes with the rift, most of the time this is a solution to ocasional stuttering. Changing USB port can also help.
"konsterminator" wrote:

mfplat.dll could not be found.

I'm using the latest Runtime
Win7 64x
and a standard toshiba laptop 😞
Oculus DK1

Yes download the media feature pack (links are on the website) and reboot your computer. Then re-install virtual desktop.

Well, when i first got the rift and VRdesktop, i managed to get 4k resolution within the rift and boy did it work! Made the screen look big so the text were easier to see, so i ended up with a 100 inch half meter from my face whle i multitasked like crazy 😛

But for some reason, after i upgraded to gtx 980 and windows 7 to 8.1, then it doesnt work anymore :S

konsterminator
Honored Guest
So I discovered what happened and would like to apologise for wasting everyone's time and humanity's precious air. I am frankly wasting it with my stupidity. After my original post, 5 minutes later I edited my post to state that I had win7 64x not 32x. however only 8 HOURS later after posting that post, I realised I downloaded the 32bit version of vr desktop. since then I have immediately uninstalled the 32bit one, and installed the 64bit one. It works a dream! This is by far, honestly, the best thing I have used oculus wise, and possibly one of the best programs I have downloaded ever. Thank you so much for bringing this to the world xD

as I have recently entered a Magic the Gathering tournament for $45, I have no money, however as soon as I get any, I shall definitely donate AT LEAST $20. I would like to apologise again and thank everyone for helping 🙂

Tomorrow really will be the best birthday ever.

Basaa
Honored Guest
Would love to use this application! It looks really, really good. But I have HUGE amounts of lag. Like 1 FPS. I have a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro with a GTX860M card and an I7 CPU. I tried downgrading to 344.75, but no change. Any ideas how to fix this? Funny note: If I select SBS On Screen option, everything runs smooth 75FPS! What the??!?!?!

Update: I read somewhere that there are some problems with the pixel shader you use with Intel. If I select the Intel card for this app and select no background and restart the application, it all works fine. Smooth, nice. But then if I switch from none to for example the home theatre and back to none again, it still lags like hell. So only if I start the app with none selected it works. Damn, I really wanted to use the home theatre. Any ideas of what is wrong? Thanks so much.

guygodin
Protege
"Basaa" wrote:
Would love to use this application! It looks really, really good. But I have HUGE amounts of lag. Like 1 FPS. I have a MSI GS70 Stealth Pro with a GTX860M card and an I7 CPU. I tried downgrading to 344.75, but no change. Any ideas how to fix this? Funny note: If I select SBS On Screen option, everything runs smooth 75FPS! What the??!?!?!

Update: I read somewhere that there are some problems with the pixel shader you use with Intel. If I select the Intel card for this app and select no background and restart the application, it all works fine. Smooth, nice. But then if I switch from none to for example the home theatre and back to none again, it still lags like hell. So only if I start the app with none selected it works. Damn, I really wanted to use the home theatre. Any ideas of what is wrong? Thanks so much.

You need to disable Optimus entirely from your BIOS.

Basaa
Honored Guest
The only thing I can select in my BIOS is either switchable graphics (Optimus) or Internal Graphics (Intel 4600?) but that would make gaming impossible. So disabling Optimus; Nope. Does that mean Im doomed?

Diems
Honored Guest
"Benthos" wrote:
"danielpeixe" wrote:
Hi!
Im extremelly impressed with this software!! I happily discovered that the January 25th update worked flawlessly in my laptop. Previous versions wouldnt work but this one did. Today after updating my nvidia driver to the version 347.25 , I try to use Virtual Desktop and to my surprise it doesnt work anymore!. I does show me the desktop but its frozen and it doesnt seem to update. Then windows pops up a notification on the taskbar saying that the Intel display driver crashed and recovered. On the oculus the desktop goes black and comes back intermitently.
Could the Nvidia update cause this errors? As I mentioned it worked flawlessly just yesterday, before I did the driver update.

I did follow your recommendations on the website about the nvidia power management options etc.

Here's my setup:
Razer Blade Laptop
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core
Processor with Hyper Threading
2.2GHz / 3.2GHz (Base/Turbo)

Chipset
Mobile Intel® PCHM 8
series chipset, HM87

Memory
8GB onboard memory
(DDR3L-1600MHz)

Graphics and Video
Intel® HD4600
NVIDIA® GeForce®
GTX 765M (2GB GDDR5
VRAM, Optimus™ Technology)

Thank you so much!

I am having the same issue as daniel, though using the 344.75 driver with the Jan 25 update. Optimus laptop with 64bitWin7 and GTX 870M (need it for travel, otherwise I would throw the thing under a bus).

I have disabled aero, and set up the recommended GPU settings. When I run VRDesktop it starts, in the Rift head tracking works and the mouse still moves around the screen, though the image that is shown is the screen before VRDesktop is opened. The mouse will not interact with the desktop seen in the Rift. The main monitor shows the VRDesktop settings screen, the Rift doesn't. Then a little while later the intel graphics crashes and the screen goes black for a while and then restores though the rift screen is black now.

Edit: Just unistalled the 64bit VRDesktop and tried the 32bit version, though it crashes on start with the message that it is "Unable to load DLL 'Mfplat.dll': THe specific module could not be found." I have media player installed and the System 32 folder contains mfplat.dll as does the installation folder for the 32bit VRDesktop.

Hi All, just got a rift since yesterday and looking into the vr desktop app. I have unfortunately the same issues as described above. The x64 version starts, shows the mouse over the desktop in the rift but does not seem to update the desktop screen itself when right clicking or selecting an icon (just showing the screen it started with). After a while the app crashes or windows freezes. My nvidia drivers are 344.75 which already were on the system before installing VR desktop.

Installing the 32 bit version gives me dll error even it's on the system.. Any tips for getting the 64 version running?

guygodin
Protege
If you have an optimus laptop and cant disable it you are doomed yes. Sorry nothing I can do.

Basaa
Honored Guest
Sadface. So how come everything works fine if I start up the app in no-background mode? And why does it go super laggy when I then switch from none to home theatre and back? Is it just driver inconsistency? I mean I have watched entire movies already in no-background mode and that works fine for hours!

Oh. If I throw my laptop at my concrete wall... Like as hard as I can... Will Optimus go away? 😮

Sharkku
Protege
"Basaa" wrote:
If I throw my laptop at my concrete wall... Like as hard as I can... Will Optimus go away? 😮

Yes, I can almost guarantee it. Depends a little on how hard you can throw though.
DK1 - previously owned DK2 - 2014-08-26 RECEIVED (ordered 2014-04-24) CV1 - 2016-05-25 RECEIVED (ordered on release day) Touch - 2016-12-07 RECEIVED (pre-order with CV1)