New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do people lose interest in VR? 2015

conectorrrrconectorrrr Posts: 37
edited February 2015 in General
I have a strong feelilng like people are drifting away from vr.Like people got used to it too quickly and got bored. I am checking also the numbers on occulus share on diffrent projects and i see that the growth in downloads is slowing down, even when comes to newly published projects. around 65k of dk2s sold yet on occulus share,and yet there are nice projects with under 2k downloads.
Up unitil this day we still dont have a clue what is going to be the number of produced CV1 and when they are going to hit the market.
I realy considder to cancel some ongoing projects- because I am afraid its going to take too long before this vr revolution kicks off to have any comercial succes for developers.I must admit I was too optymistic.
yeah maybe it's realy better to wait 2-3 years and see where it is going then rather be first on the line.
Regards

Comments

• molstermolster Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    The problem is, if everyone takes that mindset and waits 2-3 years for it to take off before they make something, then VR would never take off.

Its a trickly catch 22. You need users in order to justify games, but users need games to justify buying the tech in the first place.

Someone has to take the jump, and the every day user is less likely to make that first jump if the buy in is high. We need lots of content.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 1,001
    3Jane
    Not at all. The number one thing i hear from other devs i've talked is how excited they are about the imminent start of widespread VR use. To judge interest based on a few demos (most of which are absolutely terrible) that run on a development kit is really silly.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    edited February 2015
    I dont really understand the concept of losing interest or getting bored with VR. It's a medium, not a new toy. You can get use to vr and it will eventually become a normal experience at some point, but getting "bored" with it doesnt seem possible really. It's like saying you're bored with gaming or bored with movies. I suppose people might go through phases with those things, but I never have and I've been enjoying both for as long as I can remember.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • pittsburghjoepittsburghjoe Posts: 514
    Art3mis
    I have a strong feelilng like people are drifting away from vr.

::looks at your avatar::
    i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Think of the number of people who join the forums, so excited to get their Rift so they can play games. They have a thousand questions, you know the type. Then their Rift arrives and their questions become about how to run (insert AAA title here), how to fix "that screen door thing" and "Why am I so nauseous?" Then they disappear without a trace.

It's not that these people lose interest, but they're disappointed that the DK2 isn't everything that some VR enthusiasts hype it up to be.

As far as dwindling numbers of downloads. That's because we're past that massive influx of new users over the past few months. Things will now start to settle down until CV1 is announced.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • snappaheadsnappahead Posts: 2,302
    Trinity
    VizionVR wrote:
    Think of the number of people who join the forums, so excited to get their Rift so they can play games. They have a thousand questions, you know the type. Then their Rift arrives and their questions become about how to run (insert AAA title here), how to fix "that screen door thing" and "Why am I so nauseous?" Then they disappear without a trace.

It's not that these people lose interest, but they're disappointed that the DK2 isn't everything that some VR enthusiasts hype it up to be.

As far as dwindling numbers of downloads. That's because we're past that massive influx of new users over the past few months. Things will now start to settle down until CV1 is announced.
    Hehe, yeah we've seen that guy so many times. Dwindling demos is a good thing IMO. Hopefully, its a sign that people might be knuckling down for real content thats going to be ready in the cv1 release window.
    i7 3820
    16 gigs of Ram
    GTX 780ti
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    snappahead wrote:
    Hehe, yeah we've seen that guy so many times. Dwindling demos is a good thing IMO. Hopefully, its a sign that people might be knuckling down for real content thats going to be ready in the cv1 release window.

I agree. I can already see quality replacing quantity. There are some damn fine VR games and demos out there that didn't exist three months ago. I only hope there'll be enough content to get Oculus out of the gate and ahead of the race.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • EarlGreyEarlGrey Posts: 886
    Nexus 6
    I know some guys who have lost interest... well... the novelty has worn off. I bought a DK1 and a DK2 with 3-4 guys, and we time-share them. But for 2 months I've had the devices all by myself and they haven't asked for them even when offered. I sometimes go weeks between using the headsets.

The problem really is content. Out of everything I've tried in VR only about 5% of it stands out, that show that glimpse of what VR could be in the future.

I've heard the Crescent Bay described and if it's so much better than DK2 I don't think the headset is the issue anymore. So the CV1 is definitely going to be a good enough device for meaningful VR.

If CV1 launches with two or three REALLY enjoyful, immersive experience with presence and replay value, that's going to be sufficient.
  • If the CV1 comes out and sells 2 million units its first week, then I imagine it will be another 6 months until we see AAA developers adding Rift support. The big developers are an important part of the puzzle, indie developers make some pretty interesting stuff, but creating an epic spectacle, the kind of thing the Rift seems most suited for, is incredibly hard to do with a limited amount of people and a limited amount of resources. Hence why so many indie devs stick with 2D sidescrollers, which aren't really a great fit for the Rift.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,907 Valuable Player
    I have a strong feeling like people are drifting away from vr.Like people got used to it too quickly and got bored. I am checking also the numbers on oculus share on different projects and i see that the growth in downloads is slowing down, even when comes to newly published projects. around 65k of dk2s sold yet on oculus share,and yet there are nice projects with under 2k downloads.
    Up uniti this day we still dont have a clue what is going to be the number of produced CV1 and when they are going to hit the market.
    I really consider to cancel some ongoing projects- because I am afraid its going to take too long before this vr revolution kicks off to have any commercial success for developers.I must admit I was too optimistic.
    yeah maybe it's really better to wait 2-3 years and see where it is going then rather be first on the line.
    Regards

A very interesting and insightful post @conectorrrr - we have been discussing the same thing with a number of clients. It has been hard for some to admit that the dream has been tarnished, and by the exodus from this forum due to the troll-like activities we move to Reddit to discuss the reality and dangers of managing expectations.

You look at the time from the first investment to the Kickstarter back in 2012 - to now in 2015, and it would be hard for any company or genre to keep any kind of momentum. That however was lost on many of those caught up on the hysteric hyperbole of the promises.

We all have to understand that OVR has achieved amazing things, the sales of DK1 and DK2 have established a market that will never die down no matter the momentum lost from the fickle media. But there is the issue of a need for content, and those that established Kickstarter business models based on previous estimations. We know of a number of KS games that have been abandoned as they hemorrhaged their investment, based on release dates for 2014 that never happened.

As we are seeing with Omni and others, waiting for the full consumer release has caused some issues. I will not get pulled into the argument that some executives may have led some KS wannabes astray by claiming one release date compared to the reality. But the need for managing expectations has been wanting.

For me the downturn in momentum has been caused by confusion of message - some of the confusion of what is mobile VR and what is HMD / PC VR. Though the GearVR has gained much interest, there is some disappointment from the deliverable (even Carmack has admitted to this being a rushed approach). All compounded by the confusion of what Cardboard VR has to offer against the unfulfilled claims of the consumer release - hidden in secrecy against an unknown competitor?

I wonder if Sony's move to change Project Morpheus to be a AR / VR approach is to control their position and keep momentum rather than be caught up in a cooling of interest. As seen at CES - there will be a plethora of VR HMD approaches that will add to the confusion, and with that see a cooling of interest. I worry that after HoloLens the media confusion will continue - lets hope Magic Leap does not sour the well!

As having seen the momentum and fade of the 1990 VR explosion, I am very mindful of reality against hype and assumptions.
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    Oh please...

If ANYONE thinks the interest in VR is "dying down" then I'm afraid you're being over dramatic. Creating quality content takes time. Releasing a consumer product takes time. You bought into it at a VERY EARLY STAGE. If you're upset that there's no content then it's on YOU for buying a development kit. Oculus hasn't made any "promises" beyond delivering compelling VR...which they did.

Stop worrying that the sky is going to fall. :roll:
  • DigitylRiseDigitylRise Posts: 804
    3Jane
    I think as it stands with the current tech; Yes, VR is starting to lose it's shine.

However, there is still so much more to be added to VR!
    -3D Motion Tracking Input
    -Eye Tracking
    -Increased Hz
    -Increased Resolution
    -Smaller, lighter goggles
    -Camera Pass-Through
    -Unique, new content
    Etc...

Once new VR elements come out, it will reignite the hype. Plus, new games, experiences, software will get developed for the new VR additions, content we can't even imagine right now.

The best thing about VR is that there are so many parts to it that can get better and added, unlike traditional mediums, like a TV. Yes, TVs did a nice tech jump going to digital HD, but really....there was a time where it was the same TV experience for decades, only the content changed.
  • FunkmanFunkman Posts: 82
    NerveGear
    I have a strong feelilng like people are drifting away from vr.Like people got used to it too quickly and got bored. I am checking also the numbers on occulus share on diffrent projects and i see that the growth in downloads is slowing down, even when comes to newly published projects. around 65k of dk2s sold yet on occulus share,and yet there are nice projects with under 2k downloads.
    Up unitil this day we still dont have a clue what is going to be the number of produced CV1 and when they are going to hit the market.
    I realy considder to cancel some ongoing projects- because I am afraid its going to take too long before this vr revolution kicks off to have any comercial succes for developers.I must admit I was too optymistic.
    yeah maybe it's realy better to wait 2-3 years and see where it is going then rather be first on the line.
    Regards

Of course people are losing interest in it!

It hasnt been released yet, Occulus remains tight lipped about possible release date for consumer version, and most content really amounts to little more than tech demos.

Of course when it was released it created a lot of interest, but even then, very few people actually bought a DK version.

And in the meantime, almost no one has actually released a proper GAME for this yet! Infact, the only full version released title I can think of is that shooter, where you shoot lots of blocks...Time Rifter that's it.

You really cant argue that almost everything else has either been a port onto an existing title, or a tech demo. And I count experiences like Dreadhalls and Affected as tech demos, because there is almost nothing to do except walk around, open doors, and turn on lights.

No one has released any content that is worthy of mass media attention. Its only interesting to us who have already bought a headset and are craving new content.

When CV1 releases it will be a totally different story. A consumer ready product, that will no doubt launch with at least some full length, developed for VR titles. The titles are actually the key, because if there are some amazing, immersive experiences for VR from day 1, that will really get people talking! And even if the launch titles dont show the full potential of this tech, very soon we will get enough high quality content that word will spread.

People will want to try it, it will sell. The only reason why it wouldnt sell is if there is some massive flaw with the tech, but given Occulus' approach, I think we can be pretty certain they will get it right, and VR will blow people's socks off.

And from then on, it will only get better and better. The tech will spread from just games, to industrial and scientific uses...Movies will start appearing, I think we can be pretty sure that it will be a mainstream product in the very near future.

Sure, people are losing interest, but this is only natural given the circumstances and the lack of any real news or releases. Once it starts, it will hit the ground running and I dont think people will lose interest for a long long time.
    NerveGear
    (Sorry for double post...reading all posts, wanted to reply)
    ...The big developers are an important part of the puzzle, indie developers make some pretty interesting stuff, but creating an epic spectacle, the kind of thing the Rift seems most suited for, is incredibly hard to do with a limited amount of people and a limited amount of resources. ...

This is actually true, and something I had not thought about.

Many of us, myself included, scoff at current AAA titles like COD, with their polished cinematics, yet, in many ways, limited gameplay.

On a CV1 Rift, this will actually be a totally different story! Cutscenes, cinematics that are polished and impressive, and that you feel a part of - this stuff will actually take on a whole new dimension! Games will probably be able to be sold on quality, engaging experiences and dramatic impact alone! Even if the next COD game came out with lacklustre gameplay, but killer VR enabled cinematics, many of us would buy the game for that reason alone! Basically like being part of an interactive movie, the only difference being that movies arent in true 3D, and you cant move around in them.

Something I didnt think of until reading your post, is that I am sure there will be a trend, at least for one segment of the market, away from solid gameplay mehanics, and more towards solid story telling and immersion, games will become much closer to interactive movies (infact many already are if you look at much of the current contect released for DK1 and 2).

Not to say there wont be a place for good gameplay, that will always be there. But it wont be nessacary in order to sell VR content and create and exciting and rewarding experince. (replayability is a whole other factor).

kevinw729 wrote:
    You look at the time from the first investment to the Kickstarter back in 2012 - to now in 2015, and it would be hard for any company or genre to keep any kind of momentum. That however was lost on many of those caught up on the hysteric hyperbole of the promises.

This may be true.

But I would rather Occuls take their time, get the tech perfect, as they are doing than release a product that gives the doubters more reason to scorn at VR tech. Its been done enough times already. They need to get this right, and they are doing the right thing by making sure they do.

Just because there is a temporary lull, while we wait for an actual RELEASE of a finished product, does not mean interest is dying. The potential interest is still there, all it needs is a release to stir it up, and we will all be on our way.
  • WirelineWireline Posts: 1,203
    NerveGear
    VizionVR wrote:

You need to also factor in our resident dev-troll, whomever they were, who went through a sustained period of "proving how annoying end users are and how stupid Oculus are for allowing them on the forum" by making multiple accounts and emulating said annoying user s/he was thinking of. I'm still not convinced that person has gone, but we certainly do get an inordinate number of accounts that are mainly set up just to irritate people and press easy buttons (something that as a community we are dreadful at just ignoring). Are there real and irritating end users? Yes, but their apparent numbers were definitely artificially swelled for a while back there. I would imagine most real users have migrated to reddit.

In my mind the main thing that has driven people away from this forum (not VR in general) has been the sustained negativity, either from "emulated users" or otherwise. I am hoping that some of the awe and amazement factor will come back around CV1, and that devs are simply holding back full releases for CV1 rather than releasing demos.
  • RiftXdevRiftXdev Posts: 847 Poster of the Week
    I dont use it every day any more and it's for any number of reasons.

1. I'm not currently developing anything
    2. I've exhausted all the available content to the point I have my regular games I play and experiences. I've bored of ED, ace'd all the tracks on LFS and AC. However I'm playing RBR now, which is awesome fun.
    3. It dries my face out wearing it too much and makes my skin sore. I truly hope the CV1 doesn't ship with foam on it. Even with a VR Cover it is quite abraisive.

I have Cineveo but find the resolution too low really to watch video content.

So VR has now become a normal part of my life, like a PS4. I use it when I want to use it and am not compelled to use it every day. I expect this is the role it will play in the future mainstream. It won't be your primary entertainment device. It'll be a thing you use when you want to but I think we are a long long long way off VR replacing TVs
    DK1 | DK2
    "The question isn't who is going to let me but rather who is going to stop me"
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    I don't think the interest is gone. IMO, the massive "swell" of playable demos where so that people / developers could get a feel for what works and what doesn't. It's dying down now, as developers have a good grasp on what works and what doesn't; at least, for the most part.

I also suspect that there are a number of titles that are finished, but are waiting on "Day One" release.
    Wrote Wirelive:
    ...proving how annoying end users are and how stupid Oculus are for allowing them on the forum" by making multiple accounts and emulating said annoying user s/he was thinking of. I'm still not convinced that person has gone, but we certainly do get an inordinate number of accounts that are mainly set up just to irritate people...

Wow - thats the first time on this forum that I have seen an admittance of the dev-troll's - the exodus of posters from this forum was amazing in such a short time, and yes you are right @Wirelive most are on the sub-reddit, after an extensive troll hunting exercise. When I did the first podcast with RevKyle, we received criticism about my suggestion of vetting DK buyers to ensure only developers and focused individuals received the initial machine and so tied up dev support. Now some three years on and many see the logic, and question why OVR did not focus more on supporting the dev community. Not even touching on the whole lack of a monitored sim-sickness approach (my old bailiwick)!

It is that dev community (the VR community) that has seen the hardest fall in support. Little mention if any of the development studios that have abandoned their KS plans on VR - or the number of tech demo developers that have vanished only leaving a shadow of their core idea. Unless you were one of the few lucky ones (no pun intended) that got pulled into the OVR/FB campus, the rest of the open source community foundered. Hopes are that many of these may find a new home in the OSVR platform community, but a lot has been lost - forced on to starvation on the hype train.
    "Progress. Not Perfection." - Robert McCall, The Equalizer 2014
    Every time I hear someone on the forums say "...hey I would rather wait for OVR to get it perfect..." I think of the above quote. I think we could wait till forever to be perfect, the need to get real hardware out there was a window of opportunity that was missed, and that will see others maximize. And now the tight-lipped secrecy over specs and launch dates looks to have come round and bitten OVR as the reality of the $2k PC starts to materialize in prospective buyers minds. Were some fan-boys (or dev-trolls) attacked any talk of the need for a PC to run the final system costing anything more that $800 - the reality of recent statements about the CB rigs at CES costing upwards of $2k p/u, just to run the tech demos, has embarrassed some of the naysayers, and many of those multiple accounts have started to dry up!

We now move into the end-game phase, what some call the "put-up or shut-up" stage. Where the proof is in the eating, and we have to see the CV1 achieve just half of the expectation for it to make it out of the Gartner Hype Cycle "trough of disillusionment"!

HC_ET_2014.jpg;pv4cc7877f7de80268
    NerveGear
    edited February 2015
    Hi Kevin

Good post, I can definitely see where you are coming from and understand the resentments that may have arisen in the dev community. I count myself among the "focused individuals" - not a dev, but a user who spent a considerable amount of time and money on putting together a rig for VR, amongst other things, and spending time with the demos.

When I got my DK2 back in August, it was great to be able to take part in beta testing and providing feedback on things like the Battle of Endor demo and Bilago's launcher, among others. To me it seemed a symbiotic fit that you had devs, not necessarily working for AAA companies and lacking those budgets, with access to a user base who was keen to take part in testing. For that reason it made sense to release the rift to enthusiasts too. Certainly as time has progressed and production has stepped up, I have seen no reason to limit who receives the unit, though at first it made sense to put it in developer hands.

I don't know - I am an older user and had less expectation / demand on the rift, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it (still do). Its been slightly depressing to see the direction the community has gone in the wake of its release. Perhaps this will change as we move towards a new model, but as you said, the elephant in the room is the cost of the tech to run it. Not a problem for me as I treated myself to my dream PC, but it would be good to see a little more information coming from Oculus on proposed direction with this regard.

Perhaps what we will see is a second wave of early adoption at first, with high-end users being the ones to keep the train's momentum going, rather than any Real Launch of Mass Market VR?
  • MrsVRMrsVR Posts: 203
    Funkman wrote:

Many of us, myself included, scoff at current AAA titles like COD, with their polished cinematics, yet, in many ways, limited gameplay.

On a CV1 Rift, this will actually be a totally different story! Cutscenes, cinematics that are polished and impressive, and that you feel a part of - this stuff will actually take on a whole new dimension! Games will probably be able to be sold on quality, engaging experiences and dramatic impact alone! Even if the next COD game came out with lacklustre gameplay, but killer VR enabled cinematics, many of us would buy the game for that reason alone! Basically like being part of an interactive movie, the only difference being that movies arent in true 3D, and you cant move around in them.

Yes, VR will be different... since you will have none of those things. COD-type games will not be good VR. Cutscenes and cinematics can and will make people nauseous, and those two things are currently considered "no no"s, unless you figure out something fancy for your game.
    Explosions? No. Being thrown around (ie recoil)? DEFINITELY NO. High paced action? Nopedy nope. Require the user to look around a lot? Huge no. Zooming in/out through a sniper lens, get up run for cover behind a bush, zoom through lens while everything explodes around you, headshot someone and get massive recoil and exit zoom mode? Get the bucket ready. :)

The best VR games will be unlike anything you have ever seen. It won't be COD or TF2 ported to VR, it will be designed with VR specifically in mind. And you do not create games like this for VR since the experience is very uncomfortable.

Gamers really need to understand this..
    Oh please...

If ANYONE thinks the interest in VR is "dying down" then I'm afraid you're being over dramatic. Creating quality content takes time. Releasing a consumer product takes time. You bought into it at a VERY EARLY STAGE. If you're upset that there's no content then it's on YOU for buying a development kit. Oculus hasn't made any "promises" beyond delivering compelling VR...which they did.

This. It's a development kit. It's for developers, not gamers. It's so we can discover the rules of game design for VR and make some cool stuff eventually, not so gamers can download a shitty port and complain about the resolution and FPS.
    Rendering/Game engineer
    NerveGear
    MrsVR wrote:

The best VR games will be unlike anything you have ever seen. It won't be COD or TF2 ported to VR, it will be designed with VR specifically in mind. And you do not create games like this for VR since the experience is very uncomfortable.

Gamers really need to understand this..

Agreed - for me the very best experiences on the rift tend to be exactly that: Experiences. My own personal favourite has been flight simulation, where the rift seems an extremely good fit. To the point where I have actually started having real world flying lessons, and am actually finding the Oculus experience, combined with a good sim, to be extremely faithful and even complimenting my learning in the real thing.

Then you have demos that take you to another world, or put you in a place in history that you have dreamed of being in, such as the Apollo 11 demo. So far for me, introducing a "game" element has actually felt like an unwelcome distraction in VR. I don't want to solve puzzles or kill bad guys - I want to explore and escape. These are the times I have felt that breathtaking "gasp" factor that Oculus does so well.
    NerveGear
    All those talking about the PC cost as being so high...well it was stated that the Crescent Bay Demos were running on a GTX980...What's the big deal?

If you go reasonably cheap on the other components (and as we know they have a marginal impact compared to GPU when running VR titles) you could still get a PC for $1000 Australian Dollars Easily, maybe $1,250 at most.

Im looking up current cost of a GTX 980 and its telling me around the $700 Mark Au, that's $539 US!

How can you not put together a gaming PC for $1000 US, or $1,250 US that will include a GTX980 and reasonable other components?

Its really not going to be such a big deal.
  • mabseymabsey Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    Personally for me, I had the initial wow factor, its something that I have dreamed about using for years. But 12 weeks on, I'm hardly using the device. Yes, I know it's a development Kit, blah blah, but I have achieved what I wanted to achieve which was:

Have the feeling of Flying an Aeroplane
    Have the feeling of Driving a Racing Car
    Have the feeling of Flying in space
    Have the feeling of flying (Around mountains etc).
    Be Able to sit in a Cinema as if your there watching a film.

Now all the above has been achieved, I'm pretty much done with it. In the first couple of weeks, I was all over the forums Demo's area, all over Oculus Share, looking for new stuff, but go forward a few weeks, and I've hardly downloaded anything new, I don't see any need, I've achieved what I wanted to see in VR, it was a Fad for me, and Fad has been accomplished.

My Gripes:

SDE does ruin the Cinema Experience, unless that is removed, I don't see myself investing in a Consumer Version.

"Getting your VR Legs", This could end up being the biggest PR disaster when this goes mainsteam. 12 weeks on, everything set correctly, and I still can't handle longer than 15 to 20 minutes on my head without getting a horrible nagging "I feel drunk feeling".

I will go back to the headset from time to time, but it has lost interest for me, but still want it to succeed.

Mabs
    NerveGear
    Funkman wrote:
    All those talking about the PC cost as being so high...well it was stated that the Crescent Bay Demos were running on a GTX980...What's the big deal?

If you go reasonably cheap on the other components (and as we know they have a marginal impact compared to GPU when running VR titles) you could still get a PC for $1000 Australian Dollars Easily, maybe $1,250 at most.

Im looking up current cost of a GTX 980 and its telling me around the $700 Mark Au, that's $539 US!

How can you not put together a gaming PC for $1000 US, or $1,250 US that will include a GTX980 and reasonable other components?

Not a big deal to you, or to me for that matter, but definitely to a mainstream audience. It doesn't really matter if you think its fine or not - people will either pay it or they won't no matter how daft you tell them they are ;)

Don't forget also that different markets charge a premium - in the UK you can add about a third to that US dollar price.
  • MrsVRMrsVR Posts: 203
    mabsey wrote:

"Getting your VR Legs", This could end up being the biggest PR disaster when this goes mainsteam. 12 weeks on, everything set correctly, and I still can't handle longer than 15 to 20 minutes on my head without getting a horrible nagging "I feel drunk feeling".

Sorry, that's how your brain works. It's like telling Toyota "This motion sickness thing will be the biggest PR disaster!!".

1) CV1 is much better in regards to cybersickness than DK2.
    2) The apps need to be developed with cybersickness and current hardware in mind. Did the app include a lot of moving-around of the head? Or fast movement? Or was the control taken away from you? Did the elevation change a lot? If yes to any of these: there's your problem.
    3) Your brain has the final say.
    Rendering/Game engineer
  • NowryNowry Posts: 18
    snappahead wrote:
    I dont really understand the concept of losing interest or getting bored with VR. It's a medium, not a new toy. You can get use to vr and it will eventually become a normal experience at some point, but getting "bored" with it doesnt seem possible really. It's like saying you're bored with gaming or bored with movies. I suppose people might go through phases with those things, but I never have and I've been enjoying both for as long as I can remember.

I think its like talking about losing interest in you pc monitor, to be more precise. It won't happen as people do never lose interest or get bored with their monitors.
    edited February 2015
    Wireline wrote:
    Good post, I can definitely see where you are coming from and understand the resentments that may have arisen in the dev community.

Thanks for the kind comments and appropriate your candor.

Wireline wrote:
    ...I don't know - I am an older user and had less expectation / demand on the rift, and have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it (still do).

I wonder if you have got the best from this, while the others have been riding the hype train waiting for it to get bigger better faster - when in reality, it was what it was, and it was best to just hunker down and enjoy - rather chase the next rainbow over the horizon?

Wireline wrote:
    ...the elephant in the room is the cost of the tech to run it. Not a problem for me as I treated myself to my dream PC, but it would be good to see a little more information coming from Oculus on proposed direction with this regard.

An elephant that has a mate in the other corner that is sim-sickness!
    But seriously, will the n00bs be calling for the hanging for all those that said this was for the mainstream when they find that only Pro-sumers can play? No I doubt that, but it will all play into the resentment of false promises.

Wireline wrote:
    ...Perhaps what we will see is a second wave of early adoption at first, with high-end users being the ones to keep the train's momentum going, rather than any Real Launch of Mass Market VR?

I agree with your proposed future - but in itself it would go against what was promised. Remember FB paid for a "mass media" deployment for CV1, the $600m was not for a "high-end" device, to be exact, the board at FB demanded that the investment in OVR be focused at a mass appeal product rather than a custom system. I always wondered why the heads of EA and Ubi all commented early on that they could not see a AAA path in the current VR craze, was because they saw the beast of a PC at the other end of the demo they received (as we all did that got to see the Valve demonstration last year).

For me it now hinges on what Sony shows at GDC in the medium term - if they show watered down VR for their HMD then its a busted flush - if however they bite the bullet and throw all the money at the wall, then that opens the flood gates and VR becomes more than a one horse race. Remember, this is consumer VR and its not who is first, but who is first to a million units!
    edited February 2015
    Funkman wrote:
    ...How can you not put together a gaming PC for $1000 US, or $1,250 US that will include a GTX980 and reasonable other components?

I knew this sensible post would be hijacked and descend into a "...its not that big a deal..." PC price posting session.

Look this is straight from the horses mouth:
    [–]palmerluckeyFounder, Oculus VR 321 points 9 days ago*

I am hijacking your post for visibility, apologies.

There is a lot of incorrect information in this article - Max is a new hire, and he was definitely off on many things. While he is a technical director at Story Studio, he is not directly involved with Rift, nor is he an expert on many of the associated technologies like tracking or low-persistence. I can't clarify with concrete info on a lot of these yet, but suffice to say that May is no special month for the Rift, nor do we have price locked down for CV1.

As a more concrete example, we run everything (including internal prototypes) off a regular Falcon Northwest Tiki with a regular GTX 980, which is our preferred rig for shows as well. They cost ~$2,000, not $10,000, and are one of the smallest gaming PCs you can buy.

That buying as a company quantity PC's for demonstration purposes, not an individual going into Fries!

So @Funkman would you like to tell us again about no need for this hardware? or your sub $1k PC that will run your CV1?

PS. 2,000.00 USD = 2,605.38 AUD (minus sound card, keyboard, mouse, cables or monitor)
    NerveGear
    edited February 2015
    mabsey wrote:

Mabs

I really cant argue with you on this point.

I have never once got sick wearing this, infact I love the feeling of motion the faster the better and the more my stomach drops the more I love it.

However, I have discovered, especially after playing VR Karts for an hour or two today, that my head is 'swimming' afterwards.

Its the same feeling when you have spent a day at the beach in the waves, and then you go to bed, and all of a sudden you are floating up and down all over again. Quite relaxing.

However, mine has been going on for the last three hours, and I didnt have to wait to go to bed to find it, its still quite a pleasant sensation at first, but its getting a bit old now.

Definitely there are some issues there, but I dont think its going to be a dealbreaker, people will just have to manage and limit how much time they spend in the rift, especially if its something fast paced.
    kevinw729 wrote:
    As a more concrete example, we run everything (including internal prototypes) off a regular Falcon Northwest Tiki with a regular GTX 980, which is our preferred rig for shows as well. They cost ~$2,000, not $10,000, and are one of the smallest gaming PCs you can buy.

So @Funkman would you like to tell us again about no need for this hardware? or your sub $1k PC that will run your CV1?

Wow, someone sure takes this issue personally.

You want me to tell you again? Ok, go back and read your own post. "we run everything...with a regular GTX980..." so what if they spend $2000 on the total PC? Probably none of it is ness, and even if it is, that is beside the point.

That is talking about the Crescent Bay tech demos. Tech Demos are not what will be released to the general public.

You would be well aware, being so educated about the issues, that Occulus are on record as saying they are targeting a GTX 980 as the reccomended hardware for the Consumer Rift. What they run for their tech demos is irrelevant.

Apologies if I have somehow hurt your argument about VR dying or something.

EDIT: Oh, no I get it.

I have 22 posts.

You have 987.

I forgot to defer to your all knowing wisdom and experience, oh ancient of the Occulus. Please forgive me for my sins.

I will be sure to ensure that you vet all of my opinions to ensure they correspond to yours before I post them in future.
    Wireline wrote:
    Not a big deal to you, or to me for that matter, but definitely to a mainstream audience. It doesn't really matter if you think its fine or not - people will either pay it or they won't no matter how daft you tell them they are ;)

Another apposite comment @Wirelive - you are reinstalling my faith in coming back to the OVRF.

The comment goes - if its good they will pay to play no matter what. If PONG had charged $5 a go they would still have had the coinbox overflowing at the end of the day. The issue is, that OVR CV1 is PART of a package to play. You need the HMD, the bins (depending on the rumors), the "equipped" PC, the game account (depending on the rumors) and you need the skills to set this all up! PONG was just turn up and tune in! Simples!