cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do people lose interest in VR? 2015

conectorrrr
Honored Guest
I have a strong feelilng like people are drifting away from vr.Like people got used to it too quickly and got bored. I am checking also the numbers on occulus share on diffrent projects and i see that the growth in downloads is slowing down, even when comes to newly published projects. around 65k of dk2s sold yet on occulus share,and yet there are nice projects with under 2k downloads.
Up unitil this day we still dont have a clue what is going to be the number of produced CV1 and when they are going to hit the market.
I realy considder to cancel some ongoing projects- because I am afraid its going to take too long before this vr revolution kicks off to have any comercial succes for developers.I must admit I was too optymistic.
yeah maybe it's realy better to wait 2-3 years and see where it is going then rather be first on the line.
Regards
76 REPLIES 76

molster
Explorer
The problem is, if everyone takes that mindset and waits 2-3 years for it to take off before they make something, then VR would never take off.

Its a trickly catch 22. You need users in order to justify games, but users need games to justify buying the tech in the first place.

Someone has to take the jump, and the every day user is less likely to make that first jump if the buy in is high. We need lots of content.

MikeF
Trustee
Not at all. The number one thing i hear from other devs i've talked is how excited they are about the imminent start of widespread VR use. To judge interest based on a few demos (most of which are absolutely terrible) that run on a development kit is really silly.

snappahead
Expert Protege
I dont really understand the concept of losing interest or getting bored with VR. It's a medium, not a new toy. You can get use to vr and it will eventually become a normal experience at some point, but getting "bored" with it doesnt seem possible really. It's like saying you're bored with gaming or bored with movies. I suppose people might go through phases with those things, but I never have and I've been enjoying both for as long as I can remember.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

pittsburghjoe
Protege
"conectorrrr" wrote:
I have a strong feelilng like people are drifting away from vr.

::looks at your avatar::
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

VizionVR
Rising Star
Think of the number of people who join the forums, so excited to get their Rift so they can play games. They have a thousand questions, you know the type. Then their Rift arrives and their questions become about how to run (insert AAA title here), how to fix "that screen door thing" and "Why am I so nauseous?" Then they disappear without a trace.

It's not that these people lose interest, but they're disappointed that the DK2 isn't everything that some VR enthusiasts hype it up to be.

As far as dwindling numbers of downloads. That's because we're past that massive influx of new users over the past few months. Things will now start to settle down until CV1 is announced.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

snappahead
Expert Protege
"vizionvr" wrote:
Think of the number of people who join the forums, so excited to get their Rift so they can play games. They have a thousand questions, you know the type. Then their Rift arrives and their questions become about how to run (insert AAA title here), how to fix "that screen door thing" and "Why am I so nauseous?" Then they disappear without a trace.

It's not that these people lose interest, but they're disappointed that the DK2 isn't everything that some VR enthusiasts hype it up to be.

As far as dwindling numbers of downloads. That's because we're past that massive influx of new users over the past few months. Things will now start to settle down until CV1 is announced.

Hehe, yeah we've seen that guy so many times. Dwindling demos is a good thing IMO. Hopefully, its a sign that people might be knuckling down for real content thats going to be ready in the cv1 release window.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti

VizionVR
Rising Star
"Snappahead" wrote:
Hehe, yeah we've seen that guy so many times. Dwindling demos is a good thing IMO. Hopefully, its a sign that people might be knuckling down for real content thats going to be ready in the cv1 release window.

I agree. I can already see quality replacing quantity. There are some damn fine VR games and demos out there that didn't exist three months ago. I only hope there'll be enough content to get Oculus out of the gate and ahead of the race.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

EarlGrey
Expert Protege
I know some guys who have lost interest... well... the novelty has worn off. I bought a DK1 and a DK2 with 3-4 guys, and we time-share them. But for 2 months I've had the devices all by myself and they haven't asked for them even when offered. I sometimes go weeks between using the headsets.

The problem really is content. Out of everything I've tried in VR only about 5% of it stands out, that show that glimpse of what VR could be in the future.

I've heard the Crescent Bay described and if it's so much better than DK2 I don't think the headset is the issue anymore. So the CV1 is definitely going to be a good enough device for meaningful VR.

If CV1 launches with two or three REALLY enjoyful, immersive experience with presence and replay value, that's going to be sufficient.

Twitchmonkey
Explorer
If the CV1 comes out and sells 2 million units its first week, then I imagine it will be another 6 months until we see AAA developers adding Rift support. The big developers are an important part of the puzzle, indie developers make some pretty interesting stuff, but creating an epic spectacle, the kind of thing the Rift seems most suited for, is incredibly hard to do with a limited amount of people and a limited amount of resources. Hence why so many indie devs stick with 2D sidescrollers, which aren't really a great fit for the Rift.