cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Desktop 1.0 - Now available on Steam

guygodin
Protege
Virtual Desktop is a little utility that improves your VR experience on the desktop. By efficiently replicating your desktop into the Rift, the application allows you to see your desktop on a giant virtual screen. You can browse the web, watch movies or even play non-VR games. It also allows you to launch VR games and resume from them without having to take your headset off.

After you launch Virtual Desktop, a tray icon will appear in your taskbar. From there you can manage your list of games, change your settings.

You can also drag & drop executables or shortcuts to add more games to your list.

Requirements
- Windows 8 or 10
- Oculus 1.3 Runtime

Latest Changes
- Added ability to browse 360 photos
- Added mirror to monitor feature

Follow the link below to access the store page
Official website
Virtual Desktop Developer
1,844 REPLIES 1,844

guygodin
Protege
Intel GPUs seems to have trouble with the simple pixel/vertex shader used for the skybox. Hard to tell whats happening when you switch environments.. But srsly though, dont expect great VRonn a laptop, even Oculus says to avoid it.

Basaa
Honored Guest
Well, so far I have been able to get every single demo working (90% in Direct mode) perfectly fine (75Hz). It's just a little more work (playing with compatability / admin rights / executable parameters). But does the home theatre setting doesn't use a skybox does it?

Jarom
Explorer
Mirror to monitor mode is quite neat. Thought I should mention though that the monitor would only give me a blank screen at first til I set the monitor resolution to be the same size as the rift resolution.

Awesome stuff as always!

MIRV
Honored Guest
Hello

I tested it on my Clevo p170em with HD 4000 and GTX 680m. Unfortunately I cannot turn optimus off. The software can run without crashing but the screen capture is not working. What I meant is that I can see the background rendering smoothly and first frame when the virtual desktop turned on displayed as a still image. If I drag something into my rift extended to my left the display resets and get updated once. SBS is not working as well got some cross eyed image, seems to be not processed by rift driver. Nevertheless, I can still use it with integrated card(basic another way to turn off optimus but also lost discrete card :cry: ). I am on nvidia 344.75 driver and latest intel driver.

Could you please found a workaround? I was warned that optimus laptops do work well with VR but so far I got most things working properly. Really enjoyed playing elite dangerous mid settings at 75hz 😛

ezRocket
Explorer
Getting this error on starting VR Desktop in Windows 7:

Have SP1 installed as well as the Platform update, so I don't know what's going on here.

EDIT: Fixed. Had installed x86 version of VR Desktop instead of x64.

nmackowiak111
Honored Guest
can anyone help me. i run virtual desktop and it starts in my rift like, sideways.. 😞 quick fix?

bigmike20vt
Visionary
are you running extended mode?

if so is your rift set to portrait or landscape in windows display?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

guygodin
Protege
"Basaa" wrote:
Sadface. So how come everything works fine if I start up the app in no-background mode? And why does it go super laggy when I then switch from none to home theatre and back? Is it just driver inconsistency? I mean I have watched entire movies already in no-background mode and that works fine for hours!

Oh. If I throw my laptop at my concrete wall... Like as hard as I can... Will Optimus go away? 😮

I've found the issue which could cause lag after switching in or out of theater mode (essentially the skybox was still rendered but with an opacity of 0 rather than being skipped completely). The fix will be in the next version.

nmackowiak111
Honored Guest
"bigmike20vt" wrote:
are you running extended mode?

if so is your rift set to portrait or landscape in windows display?

i was running the rift in extended. i also messed around with the portrait and landscape display but it stayed the same 😞 i will try some more. any suggestions.

Samiad
Honored Guest
Having some problems with my setup; can only get 59/60 framerate.

i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz, nVidia 970 GTX, 8GB RAM. 3 monitor nVidia surround (5040x1050). Rift is extended mode, and legacy DK1 support enabled. No matter what settings I change (full screen/vertical sync etc.) I cannot get higher than 60fps. All nVidia 3D settings are set to default. If I untick fullscreen mode I get less than 60fps framerate. Of course the rendered screen is very stuttery under this configuration.

Am I missing anything?